Clear out of left field ...

As some of you know, I am a retired physician who also did a term as an ME. My son is an anesthesiologist and told me in his hospital which is the largest one in a very hot spot right now, that almost 60 percent of their COVID patients requiring intubation are Hispanic even though only about 20 percent of those who are testing positive and requiring hospital care are of the same ethnicity. We all know that the major hot spots right now (FL, TX, CA, NC etc.) have large Hispanic populations. So in talking with one of my old ME buddies, he mentioned the level of lung damage appears much more severe in minority patients who passed away from the virus. I am wondering if this virus is mutating into an somewhat ethnic specific disease like Sickle Cell Anemia among blacks Tay-Sach’s disease among Eastern European Jews, Cystic Fibrosis among Caucasians and Tropical Splinomegally Syndrome among blacks but only in the tropical regions, etc. We also know that Parkinson’s effects a vastly larger percentage of whites than other ethnicities. Such precedents definitely exist and viruses do indeed mutate. It may indeed sound like Tin Foil Hat territory but perhaps it is an area with justification for further research. The higher morbidity rates may be related to socioeconomic factors as well though, Hispanics tend to live In multigenerational households to a larger degree, they may not be getting adequate testing for fear of INS, etc. I do think it is a trend worth watching. If you think I am just a doddering old sawbones, feel free to light me up. 

1 Like

Rakoshi -

As some of you know, I am a retired physician who also did a term as an ME. My son is an anesthesiologist and told me in his hospital which is the largest one in a very hot spot right now, that almost 60 percent of their COVID patients requiring intubation are Hispanic even though only about 20 percent of those who are testing positive and requiring hospital care are of the same ethnicity. We all know that the major hot spots right now (FL, TX, CA, NC etc.) have large Hispanic populations. So in talking with one of my old ME buddies, he mentioned the level of lung damage appears much more severe in minority patients who passed away from the virus. I am wondering if this virus is mutating into an somewhat ethnic specific disease like Sickle Cell Anemia among blacks Tay-Sach’s disease among Eastern European Jews, Cystic Fibrosis among Caucasians and Tropical Splinomegally Syndrome among blacks but only in the tropical regions, etc. We also know that Parkinson’s effects a vastly larger percentage of whites than other ethnicities. Such precedents definitely exist and viruses do indeed mutate. It may indeed sound like Tin Foil Hat territory but perhaps it is an area with justification for further research. The higher morbidity rates may be related to socioeconomic factors as well though, Hispanics tend to live In multigenerational households to a larger degree, they may not be getting adequate testing for fear of INS, etc. I do think it is a trend worth watching. If you think I am just a doddering old sawbones, feel free to light me up. 

Too early to tell but interesting

1 Like

Probably comes down to obesity rates. Same thing with blacks getting hit hard. Poor people in america tend to be really fat and there are a lot of poor hispanics and blacks.

TzTinkle - Probably comes down to obesity rates. Same thing with blacks getting hit hard. Poor people in america tend to be really fat and there are a lot of poor hispanics and blacks.

West Virginia has (or had) the highest obesity rates in the USA but has a very small minority population. We also have among the highest testing per capita, among the lowest number of both positive cases and deaths. We are full on opened up and have been for a while, even sports to some degree.  However, obesity, diabetes, coronary heart disease and lung conditions such as COPD are all definite risk factors. 

TzTinkle - Probably comes down to obesity rates. Same thing with blacks getting hit hard. Poor people in america tend to be really fat and there are a lot of poor hispanics and blacks.

A lot of the issue with Hispanics is cultural diet as much as poverty. I know a lot of successful Puerto Rican’s in FL that still deal with obesity and obesity related diseases.  

There are all sorts of interesting (that sounds morbid) potential correlations to genetics. I was reading about a possibility that certain blood types have resistance. Also, its possible that properly medicated HIV patients and those who are genetically resistant to HIV have higher resistance than the general population. 

I’ll go with the multigenerational housing and also lower socioeconomic groups tend to tough it out when sick and also tend to not be as fastidious when it comes to preventing infection.

on another note, got to applaud the op for raising a son to get to that level of education. Well done.

IronHands -

There are all sorts of interesting (that sounds morbid) potential correlations to genetics. I was reading about a possibility that certain blood types have resistance. Also, its possible that properly medicated HIV patients and those who are genetically resistant to HIV have higher resistance than the general population. 

I knew my AIDS would come in handy one day.

WOO! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Some sort of mental gymnastics involving racism most likely.

I haven't heard of any gays getting covid. Thank gaaaaawwd

Darth Potato -
IronHands -

I knew my AIDS would come in handy one day.

WOO! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Damn right! Buttfuck to your heart's content.