Clinch for MMA book

I recieved this book today.I really like it,covers Ko-Uchi Gari in the 1st part of the book,which is a throw I have been wanting to play with more.I give it a thumbs up.

yea, it is a very well done book. you cant really complain about it at all. i bought a copy for my cousin who trains at madison bjj when he gets the chance.

Josh,Have you seen any of Saulo's new set? I remember talking on a thread about Saulo's Ko-Uchi and Seo-Nage with you.

BJJWrestler - Can you help me? What is the exacle title of the book and from where did you buy it?

I'd like to get a book and/or DVD on this very subject matter.

Thanks in advance.

Allen

BJJWrestler... Thanks for the thumbs up. I appreciate your business.

Hi Allen, you can find the book at:

www.clinch.tv

Orders placed before Thursday at 3:00 PM Pacific time will be delivered before Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you!

Chuck,

Do you offer any classes - group or private - that would help a newbie in bjj prepare his standup game (which is non-existent right now) for the mid- and end-of- year Bay Area bjj tournaments in 2007?

There's a great judo club near me, but I'd like to learn stuff that works no-gi as well. Plus, I need to greatly accelerate my learning curve. Having watched some matches at the Santa Cruz opens a month or so ago, I don't want to spend most of my 5 minutes match trying to take the fight to the ground.....

Hey egrbvr,

I coach the varsity team at SJSU. That class wouldnt be a very good fit for you since you say have little stand up game. If you are interested in privates or even small groups, we can work something out. shoot me and email. chucksome1@yahoo.com

Hi Sidron

Gaining wrist control is not that easy, especially after you start sweating. It?s hard to say exactly what I would recommend, not knowing the move you are specifying. There are many substitute grips for each throw; yes bicep control can work. The grip you are able to control will dictate the angle/direction of the throw.

In general, rather than thinking about squeezing the wrist with lots of force, think about trying to pull toward the hand. Grip closer to the hand or even on the hand, with your index finger and thumb on the wrist, as the hand gets wider than the wrist, it will give you a little bit of staying power. In MMA, the small glove will actually make it easier to control the wrist than without the glove in grappling.

In Judo you will always hear coaches talk about the pulling hand (hand that is grabbing the wrist). This is very important to use for off balancing. Without a gi, it is more difficult to pull since they slip easily, but the throw can still work.. A good example would be to watch Karo Parisyan?s highlight tape, several times he actually loses the pulling hand (wrist) as he is already attacking, but continues to finish the throw. The only problem with this is that the person can land on their head (not a problem in MMA). In practice you always want to use your pull in order to throw your partners on their back, otherwise you will lose all your workout partners.

I hope this somewhat answers your question

Chuck

Chuck,

What's ironic is that I was rolling no-gi after a fairly grueling gi class (so I was hot and sweaty) yet my partner maintained amazing wrist/hand control on me on the ground. Yes, I could break the grip, but he just immediately re-took it.

I assume that in standup you have a much narrower window of opportunity to re-establish a grip and do something meaningful....

Although I'll be training for gi competition, I really want to learn the hooks etc., for the last week I've been waking up in the night with my fingers hurting from gi death-grips...even though I thought I'd seriously cut back on gi death-grips.

Can't wait for you book to arrive....

(Privately emailed you about the varsity class as a training opportunity.)

Wrist control is hard to maintain w/o gloves on... Why do you think wrestlers train their grips so hard... it's like a damn vice =)

As far as what Nowaydo said: That's how I control as well. It allows for easy transitions to throws, takedowns, and amazing duckunders...

blaeh, I've been corrupted greco style by Dan Severn...

Clinch Fighting for Mixed Martial Arts is definitely the missing link in my library. It's ALL the clinch/takedown moves I've been looking for.

The authors have extensive Judo backgrounds, but these moves are all no-gi, PLUS there are tips on avoiding strikes if you are training for mma or just want to keep your awareness active in case you use your jits for self-defense. (The fact that they are no-gi means they will adapt well to gi, but still work in submission fighting.) The level of detail is terrific, and seems to assume you are going to try to drill these moves on your own with a class mate, as opposed to using it to supplement instruction from a qualified instructor. So it's really a "stand alone" book although a companion DVD would be great, too.

I think pretty much anyone going into tournaments will need a copy of this book just to know that they might encounter, particularly from an opponent with a wrestling or judo background.

Chuck, I'm going to have to order a second copy for one of my instructors! Plus, now I'm definitely going to have to come down on a Friday to check out your varsity class at San Jose State...I want to enter my first tournament midyear or end of the year, and this is the part of the game that has been missing up to now (I can't wait until we go no-gi at my academy in the summer and start doing standup).

I went to go buy it but it's only Pay Pal.

Oh, well. Someday I'll be a big boy and set up an account.

Hi Alwaysinjured,

You dont need to have a paypal account to buy the book. You can use any major credit card. I hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks

Chuck

ttt for the Barstow Judo club!

Chuck,

I'm in Australia. Do I order the same way?

Yes, you can order the same way, shipping time is about 7-10 days.

I can't seem to find a table of contents for this book anywhere. Any chance of seeing one here?

Is the book b&w or in color?

Its in B&W

263 pages

About the Authors

Introduction

10 Chapters

1. Holds & Stances 2. Leg Trip Takedowns 3. Forward Throws 4. Leg Sweeps 5. Leg Pick Takedowns 6. Pick Ups 7. Rear Takedowns 8. Armlock Takedowns 9. Defenses 10. Partner Training Drills