Clock Choke Escape (Mid to Late stage escape)

Sub

I do something like that as a general turtle escape..sort of Telles like. 

It's a good defense for that sort of clock choke, but my approach to clock choke is different.

I try to break down your near shoulder, not your far shoulder!

Because if you can turn towards me, you can do that, or you can get the underhook.

However, if I pull you downward in a diagonal direction so that your near shoulder hits the mat, I know you're done. So my strategy is NOT to split your elbow from your knee. I would only do that to get a hook or go for crucifix. I might threaten it, but that's just to get you to move your elbow in tight so I can drive your near shoulder into the mat....IDK, maybe that's just my small man approach to it, but you're going to get rolled 90% of the time if you don't break down the near shoulder on a bigger guy.

Thanks AR=GOAT & Meatgrinder!  

I really like that style of Clock choke as well MG!

But that's what made Shaolin's clock choke on KenFlo so interesting with that far side underhook under the far leg.

I think Kenny stepped forward to much with that far leg as he was trying to come up with the single-leg. However, by stepping forward too much, he didn't seem to have the leverage to pull it back once Shaolin underhooked it. Otherwise I think he could've conceeded top position and been able to get back to sit back to guard.

The leg grab variation that Shaolin used is very common in Judo, and IMO is underutilised in BJJ.Very strong.

James

Man the choke shoalin did is so powerful!!!  That far side underhook kept their spines lined up like a crucifix as he walked KF's head practically to his far side knee. It seemed as if he was always going to go for that far side leg. If he stayed low I'm guessing  he'd have held the inside of the pants at the knee (or maybe backhand the inside of the knee as some guys do) and underhook it if the knee came off the mat like it did. 

Sir Taps - 

The leg grab variation that Shaolin used is very common in Judo, and IMO is underutilised in BJJ.Very strong.

James

yeah... I think you see that a bit with wrestlers doing bjj too and making use of the spiral ride.

nice

Sir Taps -

James

Indeed. I mentioned that to my instructor when he asked me if I saw the submission

Thanks Principal & JM!!!