Close Quarter Form Discussion

I think for me the main key to the Close Quarter
Form is the process of visualisation. The main
benefit that I have received from doing the close
qaurter form is to really get your mind working and
involved with each and every aspect of the form.

One of Coach Blauer's maxims that has really hit
home with me is:

"MEAN TO HIT AND MAKE IT MEAN!"

Essentially to be nice until it's time not to be nice.
So when I flow from one move to the next in the
close quarter form , I really try to make my intent felt
with each and every strike that I do in the form.

Also I find it important to really allow your form to
flow from one move to the next . It is important to
understand the principles and feeling of flow. I feel
that Coach Blauer really translates that concept
well in the close quarter form video.

I hope these comment come in useful.

Raymond Yong.

Great thread, guys.

I think one of the most important things for me about the CQF is that it can function as a type of 'self-test' for my skills. It is a matter of extreme self-discipline to do the form congruously with whatever you are choosing to visualize - sometimes I do it primally, other times protectively or tactically - always with an eye to when I switched 'on'. The temptation is to just get in another rep, or to always work tactically, or... Tony's taught me so much about staying 'present' during training and the CQF is a powerful example to really train for "60 seconds out of every minute."

I also try to incorporate different scenario, NVP's and environments into the CQF. In other words, once I pick a scenario to visualize I might do the form starting in a chair, leaning against a wall, etc. The CQF is one of the most versatile real world learning tools I've ever encountered.

One other thought - I love the CQF as a mode for working on and teaching non-telegraphic movement. This is an absolutely critical area that most people gloss over - often, even when they think they are concentrating on it! Yet another practice that requires - you guessed it - Discipline!

Eric

PDR members and Mental Edge readers,

There is a PDR course coming up in Montreal in less than a week and the participants have been given a directive to work on the close quarter form.

For those of you who have purchased any of Mr. Blauer's videos or have attended a seminar, you are sure to have been introduced to the CQF and/or the close quarter toolbox.

I would like everyone to utilize this thread to post any thoughts, questions or comments on the form or the close quarter arsenal in general.

I look forward to your responses
Lets get started!!!!

Robb Finlayson, PDR Team

Great thread Robb!

My main focus on the CQ form has been two-fold:

1st - Good Guy: I've been doing alot of drills focusing on the primal/protective aspects of the tactics. I watched coach do this several months ago and it caused a big lightbulb moment. The 'desire' is to always visualize crushing the bad guy at every turn...rarely the case! Finding the 'genetic inspiration' for all the physical tools has been a real eye opener. It's also really added a dimension to my visualization!

2nd - Bad Guy: A tougher one for sure! The role player role is critical and VERY demanding! I'm starting to understand the Ginger Rogers quote about her doing everything Fred did but backwards and in heels!..except for the heels part :-) I've been realizing the necessity of having the attacker really slow down so I can really 'feel' the appropriate response to each tactic, and also, emotionally aclimatize myself to the things that cause me tension.

I definately agree on the CQ Form video for review. That and Be a Good Bad Guy have had MUCH viewing lately.

P.

Excellent post Mike.

When I first started working on form, I was very tight and ridgid in my flow and transition. The utilization of visualizing was the key to get me on track, just you have stated above. Creating th scenario inside of you when working solo is paramount to training successfully.

The demystification of each tactic withing the close quarter toolbox is also an item that breeds success in your personal understanding of CQ drills....especially for first time students.

Eg. A horizontal elbow is like reaching back in your car seat and grabbing your seatbelt. We all have have put on seatbelts a thousand times (creating a muscle memory).

Each component of the CQ form and the CQ toolbox can be simpified like that.

"Real fights happen in the space of a phone booth" -TCMS MAXIM.

This maxim is a true indicator on where the real fight exists. So hopefully everyone out there is incorporating CQ tactics into their programs.

The S.P.E.A.R. System is what gets you locked and loaded to unleash your CQ arsenal. The two are a perfect marriage.

For those of you interested in developing and enhancing your CQ arsenal you should check out the new video Mr Blauer has put out :

"The Close Quarter Form: Total Tool Development". This is a two hour tape packed full of vital information on an area many of us as martial artists no little about.

Robb Finlayson

Robb,

The tools included in the Close Quarter Form are the one's you need in the 'front' of your tactical mind at all times. Mr. Blauer has stated over and over again that these are the physical tools you will need to take care of a real street confrontation.

The last time I attended one of Tony's seminars we worked on the CQF. I found that although there were many aspects of the form that were mechanically sound, I was somewhat lacking in the 'visualization' side of the training.

Also, I was guilty of slipping into a bit of the Martial Arts Choreography mindset. Too much making it look pretty and not enough consideration of how your weapon, be it elbow, knee, or S.P.E.A.R is affected as the target is impacted, the dynamics of balance and movement, and most importantly for me, the effect emotion/adrenaline has on your movement.

In my class we sometimes practice the form when we are totally exhausted, just to keep track of how our minds and bodies react to extreme fatigue. It's sure alot different than using it in the warmup!

It is truly amazing how perfect the Close Quarter Form fits into the whole S.P.E.A.R. philosophy.

The Close Quarter form is a little piece of genius from Tony Blauer. We should all be doing it every day.

Take Care,

Mike

Hi all,

I have been focusing on using the different directions, backwards , clockwise, counter clockwise etc. And the different Emotional Motions (content) Primal, Protective, Tactical.

Last time I had a chance to discuss my CQF with Coach Blauer, I asked him about a "quirk" I thought I had.

Every time I started the CQF in Primal or Protective mode, through my visualization I would, after x amount of moves (sometimes after the first others much further down the chain), start getting an intuitive urge to get my axis forward and get tactical. I asked
Coach about my "sticking point".

His answer:

"Don't you want a tactical resolution to all your combat visualizations?"

MAJOR LIGHTBULB MOMENT

Moral of the story. When you practice CQF in sequence or when you shadow-fight using the CQ arsenal, using primal or protective emotional content, always end on a good tactical note.

Tony Torres
Va Beach, Va

PS

Also try CQF primal, protective narration w/partner.