Clubbell Training!!!

"That being said, if I ever do decide to buy clubbells, at the very least I can walk around swinging them and pretend that I am the Iron Sheik (didn't he use to enter the ring swinging Clubbells around?)."

For publicity stunt back in 1983, The Iron Sheik did a legit $1000 open challenge with a pair of 70 lbs meels at The Omni. The promotion GCW backed the challenge & they got a ton of local press throughout Georgia with the build up. Many a strong man/bodybuilder tried & failed to swing the clubs that night, as the challenge was not successfully met.

Aside from that, the Iron Sheik normally traveled on the road with a pair of 15 lbs meels...and still does to this day!

BTW, out of curiosity how many who have posted on this thread have an affiliation/certification of some sort with Scott Sonnon? Not that there's anything wrong with that....I'm just curious.My affiliation with Scott started out with my normal skepticism about training methods/theories, etc. He was a regular poster on this forum and as I applied what he was talking about to my own training, I saw that he isn't bullshitting anyone trying to make a buck. Over the years, this affiliation has turned into a great friendship. However, this doesn't mean I simply accept everything that Scott throws out there, nor does he ever ask me (or anyone else for that matter) to do so. I'm my own best test dummy and I'll try things out on myself before I recommend them to anyone else. Clubbells, sandbags, odd objects, weighted vests, sledgehammers, etc. I'm originally from the "Poor Bastards Gym" and have attempted to make cost effective replications of most of the things I've mentioned above. If my homemade, or store-bought version works well enough for me (like my $20 sledgehammer as opposed to paying over $100 for one coated in urethane), then I'll let people know about it. If not, they'll know about that as well. The "Scrapper Seal of Approval" started as kind of a joke with the people in my classes when they saw how brutal I am on training equipment. It's not a joke any more. They know that if I recommend something then there's a good chance that it will withstand almost anything they can dish out. This allows them to make sound investments into training tools and forces anyone that sends me anything for review to have their shit together and not send me junk. ;)Jimmy,The Rocket Drill is a quick squatting motion that is great for developing good, deep form for your hip snaps. Using the 15's (for me) has really been helping with my strength-endurance and using the 25's has been developing more brute strength. The goal is to complete a Rocket Drill Death March with the 25's before the Olympic Clubbell Sport competition later this year. I think Scott has a video clip of the Rocket Drill on one of his forums. I'll try to find it and post the link for you. SCRAP

This is what I love about this forum. Informative discussions with different points of view.

I made makeshift club bells (don't ask how I did this) for myself and tried just a couple of the exercises that I saw on the circular strength site.

I immediately fell in love. It's like BWE/intervals on steroids.

Polishfighter:

Do you still have your club bells? How much do they weigh? You interested in selling them?

for those worried about the constant "upgrading" of clubbells, fractionalplates.com has clubbell replicas that allow you to place regular weights on them to increase the poundage. has anyone tried these?

I like the idea about the Iron Horse Clubs being adjustable, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the staiinless steel finish.

Sonnon has an article about why clubbells are better and I agree with his point about the steel finish getting slippery with sweat/oils.

That being said I sure wish clubbells were cheaper, but I'll probably start out buying just one.

Anything where plates are added aren't a good idea with the ballistic movements of clubbell training. I have leverage bars at home and I'd be very hesistant to do a lot of the exercises with them. If anything, go for a shot loaded one. Just remember to keep some sort of filler in there so the shot isn't contantly moving around while you're working out.

The steel finish also seems like a really shaky idea to me. The fact that the weights are held in place with a collar would make me hesitant to hold that club in any type of overhead position.

PDA has some really interesting stuff but their version of the club doesn't look very well thought out.

SCRAP

I'm running my beach class this morning and will take some pictures of the people doing the Rocket Drill. Of course, I'll have to pretend I messed the picture up a bunch of times so the person has to do it over and over again. hahahahaha!

I'll post it when I get home this afternoon.

SCRAP

"I'll have to pretend I messed the picture up a bunch of times so the person has to do it over and over again. hahahahaha!"

LOL!! Dude, you're a sick bastard, you know that?

Just ordered a single 15 #er.

Here's a quick video of the Rocket Drill, Rocket Drill w/ a Hop, and the Clubbell Stepup I used in the SCRAPPER Gastric Bypass workout. Also a quick shout out to the CST Delta Cadre!Clubbell Rocket DrillsIt's the latest addition at the bottom of the page. Enjoy!SCRAP

LMAO@the music in the video

Yeah the music in that is hysterical.

It's good to be here!

Jimmy,

They are easy you should try them immediately ,and confirm how easy they are!

Thanks for the Video Fish!

Dan Chomycia CST Head Coach

Just got my 15 pounder in the mail and tried it out today after watching the tape a couple of times!

Very cool. I think the 15 pounder will challenge me for quite a while.

One thing I noticed is how unbalanced I am in my coordination. I'm much less coordinated on my left side than my right (dominant). And even though I've worked on my grip for both, my left hand gives out noticably sooner. Hopefully, the clubbell with help correct this.

But I'd have to say I'm hooked. I wouldn't call myself a seasoned athlete, but I've been working out regularly for over 20 years, and clubbells are something totally new to me. I predict that I'll use them for a long, long time.

"And even though I've worked on my grip for both, my left
hand gives out noticably sooner. Hopefully, the clubbell with
help correct this. "

I'm doing a double-density Clubbell workout with Swipes and
Mills, one workout in the morning, one in the evening, 3 days/
week. It's weird, this morning my right hand gave out sooner.
This evening my left hand gave out sooner. Go figure.

Below is a link that may be helpful to those interested in Indian Club swinging. It's the complete text of the book: Modern Club Swinging & Pole Spinning. Although the emphasis is more toward aesthetics, the movements & grip details come in handy!

www.semlyen.net/cosmosjugglers/lib/contents.htm

Also for those considering making their own version of clubs, the following sites offer hollow clubs that you can be filled:

www.dube.com (Airflite Club & Klassic American Club-XL models)

www.renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.html

Wow; I just watched Scrapper's Futurebrall fights. I think Fish could teach Keith Hackney something about punching the nuts!

clubbells great for shoulder range of motion, and grip strength endurance as well as other qualities.

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com

You got my attention with the grip strenght lol, that´s exactly what happened to me last time i compted, my arms crapped out after holding on to a kimura grip for about 2 minutes. It does seem pricy though :/