CO: Free birth cntrl raised baby deaths by 40%

Colorado offered free birth control — and baby deaths increased by 40 percent

A program that provides contraceptives to low-income women contributed to a 40-percent drop in Colorado's teen birth rate over five years, according to state officials.

The program, known as the Colorado Family Planning Initiative, provides intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants at little to no cost for low-income women at 68 family planning clinics in Colorado.

The teen abortion rate dropped by 35 percent from 2009 to 2012 in counties served by the program, according to the state's estimates.

Young women served by the family planning clinics also accounted for about three-fourths of the overall decline in Colorado's teen birth rate during the same time period. And the infant caseload for Colorado WIC, a nutrition program for low-income women and their babies, fell by 23 percent from 2008 to 2013.

"This initiative has saved Colorado millions of dollars," Governor John Hickenlooper said in a statement. "But more importantly, it has helped thousands of young Colorado women continue their education, pursue their professional goals and postpone pregnancy until they are ready to start a family."

The program is not without controversy. Since teens don't need to be accompanied by an adult to obtain contraceptives at the facilities, critics say the initiative undermines parental rights. Some critics reject the states' numbers altogether.

Colorado's experience is part of a nationwide decline in the teen birth rate. Part of the nationwide decline can be attributed to teenage boys having less sex, but it also correlates with an increase in long-lasting, reversible contraceptive use among teens.

Still, Colorado's teen birth rate seems to be declining much more quickly than its peers. Between 2008 and 2012, the state went from the 29th lowest teen birth rate in the nation to the 19th lowest.

You don't know how iuds work do you? Phone Post 3.0

Nice spoof?

Thread title makes zero sense.

Anyone who is anti-birth control is an idiot of epic proportions and should have been aborted.

Great news.

3/10 Phone Post 3.0

are teen pregnancies worse than two "career people" who wait until they're 40 and 38 respectively and pop out an autistic kid?

gregbrady - are teen pregnancies worse than two "career people" who wait until they're 40 and 38 respectively and pop out an autistic kid?

What?

If you actually want to discuss this here is the link to the thread that this was a horrible attempt at a spoof of.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2341581/CO-Free-birth-cntrl-dropped-Teen-pregnancy-by-40/?pc=8

Encouraging kids to have sex is just dumb. It's one of the main reasons so many women are whores and why divorce happens to often.

I assume the thread title is some sort of troll attempt?

sadic1 - Encouraging kids to have sex is just dumb. It's one of the main reasons so many women are whores and why divorce happens to often.

Thinking that teenagers need encouragement to have sex is dumb, and thinking that preaching abstinence prevents them from having sex is dumber.

contraception =/= abortion

sadic1 - Encouraging kids to have sex is just dumb. It's one of the main reasons so many women are whores and why divorce happens to often.

Lol wow, I think we just found the dumbest Oger.

And one who's wife probably went for the BBC as well.

And to think, you have 14,370 other posts.

I'm guessing they are all as dumb as this one.

lol @ the rubes not getting the thread title.

I could have sworn that even during the tenor era a spin this dumb wouldn't have gotten this many bites. Has my memory just gone all revisionist or have we really gone downhill this much? Phone Post 3.0

i don't remember needing any encouragement....i had to beat off 3 times a day just to fit in my pants.

Tomato Can - Thinking that teenagers need encouragement to have sex is dumb

Teenage girls do. There are too many negative consequences for them, so they don't have sex unless they get constant reinforcement of the idea that they have to make a boy orgasm in order to have worth.

Before the modern deliberate efforts to encourage teen girls to have sex, girls in all cultures throughout history have avoided sex before marriage.

miij?