Coach: Jorge ready when UFC pays what he's worth

BMF belt winner Jorge Masvidal was training through the COVID-19 pandemic to challenge UFC champion Kamaru Usman. However, Masvidal held out for more money, and the title shot went instead to Gilbert Burns at UFC 251 on July 11. Masvidal's head coach Mike Brown spoke about it recently with Damon Martin for MMA Fighting.

“He’s been in every day. He’s in great shape. He’s ready to go,” said Brown. “We had some great wrestlers in for him to train with. He was working with Bo Nickal and Cody Law, a couple of high-level Penn State wrestlers. He was getting ready for the Usman fight.

“He was also helping Dustin [Poirier] get ready [for Dan Hooker at UFC Vegas 4]. They sparred a handful of times for this fight. Jorge is a chameleon. He can mimic anybody. He’s got a lot of tools to pull from so he did an excellent job of giving Dustin a good look for Hooker.

“Masvidal’s there. He’s ready to go. Once they come to an agreement, they give him the money he’s worth, then we’ll have a welterweight champ.”

“He’s a guy who also to his credit, he’s always developing new tools. He’s always developing new weapons. Probably more than anybody. Sharpening his knives. Putting in the hours. Sometimes too many hours. He’s a guy who will literally be in the gym for four or five hours at a time working. He’ll do that on occasion where it’s too much but he loves long sessions. It shows.

“It shows why he can do a lot of different things. He’s got a lot of weapons in the toolbox.”

Masvidal fears Usman…

4 Likes
ons ear -  Masvidal fears Usman..

He should. Usman would bring his hype train to a sudden stop. Best fight he could hope for is against McGregor.

4 Likes
Jacinto -

He should. Usman would bring his hype train to a sudden stop. Best fight he could hope for is against McGregor.

As weird as it sounds, losing to Connor world be worse than losing to Usman. We all expect that. Connor would expose him as the journeyman b- to c+ fighter that he actually is. The Usman fight would leave questions. 

2 Likes
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

As weird as it sounds, losing to Connor world be worse than losing to Usman. We all expect that. Connor would expose him as the journeyman b- to c+ fighter that he actually is. The Usman fight would leave questions. 

I don’t actually believe Connor could beat him.

2 Likes
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

He’s already lost 13 times to mid level opponents and you don’t think a 2 division world champion is capable of beating him lmao

2 Likes
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

He’s already lost 13 times to mid level opponents and you don’t think a 2 division world champion is capable of beating him lmao

I also favor Masvidal. Look at his losses: Wonderboy (top 3 ww at the time), Maia (top 5 ww at the time, split dec), Lorenz Larkin (beast, split dec), Ben Henderson (split dec, former Champ), Raging Al (top 10, split dec), Gilbert Melendez (Champ), Paul Daley (Dec, Guy is a monster). 

many of those losses could have went the other way depending on who was judging. Also, not to play MMA math, but Masvidal destroyed the guy McGregor had trouble with twice…

I like Jorge just fine but why the fuck do you sign a contract and then not fight? I know ufc contracts are one sided, but thats how it is. 

1 Like
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

Manufactured two division champ

Bend The Knee - 
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

I also favor Masvidal. Look at his losses: Wonderboy (top 3 ww at the time), Maia (top 5 ww at the time, split dec), Lorenz Larkin (beast, split dec), Ben Henderson (split dec, former Champ), Raging Al (top 10, split dec), Gilbert Melendez (Champ), Paul Daley (Dec, Guy is a monster). 

many of those losses could have went the other way depending on who was judging. Also, not to play MMA math, but Masvidal destroyed the guy McGregor had trouble with twice…

Not to mention Conor has never fought anybody Masvidal’s size. Nate and Cowboy are both true 155’ers and Masvidal wrecked both of them as well.

Dead President -
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

Hardly. He beat the two undisputed champions of their division. 

1 Like
JOB -
Dead President -
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

Hardly. He beat the two undisputed champions of their division. 

I’m not even a Conor fan but have to agree. I think the Nate and cowboy fights have clouded everyone’s memory, he flat lined Aldo and Alverez was a champ in bellator and UFC with some huge wins on his record. Conor had to go through Holloway and Porier on his way up but everyone will argue regardless.

He deserves credit for his stand up, his gamesmanship and his balls. He deserves the criticism for his antics out of the cage and his mid level (at best) ground game.

Not a good idea.  The longer Masvidal waits, the lower his stocks will be.  Especially these last couple of events we had, a bunch of fighters have taken the spotlight.

Bend The Knee -
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

“Look at his losses”

Proceeds to give a list of mostly other journeymen… Lorenz Larkin a beast? I like him, but c’mon… 

Rafael135 - 

Not a good idea.  The longer Masvidal waits, the lower his stocks will be.  Especially these last couple of events we had, a bunch of fighters have taken the spotlight.

Yep, if Masvidal doesn’t fight in the next few months people are going to start to forget about him…pricing yourself out of a fucking title fight is just very lame for a guy that’s so street lol

Rafael135 - 

Plus, does Masvidal truly believe UFC will give him favorable fights from here out for top money?! Hell no

Yawn

Dreville79 -
Bend The Knee -
Gennady Goblin -
Jacinto -
cantuna4u - 
Jacinto -

“Look at his losses”

Proceeds to give a list of mostly other journeymen… Lorenz Larkin a beast? I like him, but c’mon… 

Larkin could have been top 10 in the UFC for sure. Aside from him everyone else has fought for a title. 

Jacinto -

Hes been fighting for almost 20 years, has almost 50 mma fights and is ranked #3 in the UFC welterweight division and you think he’s all hype? Lol.