Cochlear implant and BJJ

Does anybody have experience with a BJJ student with cochlear implants? My son is getting an implant and I am looking for recommendations on headgear. I'm leaning towards the Cliff Keen Tornado right now. It seems to cover the largest area of the implant area. It also appears to be the headgear of choice for collegiate wrestlers with cochlear implant(s).

Any other suggestions?

a mate had cochlear implants, he gave up training as the risk was too great for something to happen. i guess he couldnt justify the risk/reward of training bjj vs regaining some of his hearing

walbjj - 

a mate had cochlear implants, he gave up training as the risk was too great for something to happen. i guess he couldnt justify the risk/reward of training bjj vs regaining some of his hearing

Did this fellow happen to battle forum legend Luka Beston Gracie?

My dad has one and I know where it is located and how surgery was. Honestly I doubt it is a good idea to roll. It´s pretty much located behind the ear under the skin and if there is some pressure it could damage the implant I guess.

Maybe with an earguard but still these implants are pretty expensive and pretty high tech. I doubt it is a good idea to put pressure on the side of the head or the ears......

And yes, I pretty much thought it was a career ender when it came to bjj. I couldn't imagine a high velocity and impact sport like wrestling would be good for the long term health of the implant either.

They make rugby head cushioned deals that cover the whole top of the head.  That may work decently 

Thanks guys. I should probably point out that my son is getting a newer implant that will withstand 6 joules of impact before failing. His surgeon has zero concerns with him continuing BJJ.
Also, my son doesn't complete in BJJ. In addition to being deaf, he is blind in one eye and has mild cerebral palsy so most of his training is one-on-one with me already. I will continue to be his main, if not only, sparring partner after surgery so as to protect the implant.

Science is fucking incredible. I thought only Jesus could make the blind see and the deaf hear.  At least once a week my wife watches a bunch of the youtube videos where these little kids hear for the 1st time and she cries each and every time as if it was the 1st time she has seen them.