Cocky State Champion: What to do?

That sounds good, buddy. He learned an important lesson, and I garauntee that he will remember this whole incident for the rest of his life.

I would say that his reaction was pretty much to be expected: initially pissed off and defensive, but after spending some time mulling it over, it started to sink in. He obviously respects your opinion, and you have helped him on the mat - and now off the mat as well.

Conscientious coaches like you help make the sport great. Thank you.

I became involved in wrestling very late (post high school, and in college). I had to learn at this high school. I put in all of the mat time, went to camps, wrestled every weekend (GR and FR) during the summer, wrestled adult folkstyle matches, and so on. As you can guess, my wrestling record is not even .500 right now, since I've wrestled coaches with 25+ years of experience from the beginning (I had a successful 2001 season, however).

By getting whipped soundly in 1999, and part of the 2000 summer season, I learned that there are much better people, with many years of experience and expertise. As a "BJJ guy," I could have chalked it up as an "I don't care. It's wrestling. Let them do my sport." I have been forced to improve at wrestling since I hate for my wife to see me lose in any grappling sport:)

I know that I could never be an Olympian in wrestling (I want to win a Pan Am title in BJJ, though). I want to promote the SPORT of wrestling as what I have found it to be: a great athletic adventure, where true athletes are matched up against each other with comparable weights, where technique and experience wins out over muscle and speed much of the time.

With that said, I want the athletes that I work with to be successful. I can now say that I coached a state champion (my pic was in the paper too). But, I also want to instill the right attitude without creating the wrong stereotype for our sport.

After all, only one person in the US at each weight gets to go to the Olympics every four years. Perhaps now he gets that idea.

WOW. Excellent way to handle things k-dog. I wish you were my coach :)

k-dog:

Great way to handle this kid. It was also great to hear your story. It is this kind of attitude that makes great coaches. Hopefully this kid will realise how lucky he is to have someone like you helping him.

One thing I can promise him is that every time he steps up a level he will be reminded of how far he has to go.

My son has won 3 National Age group championships and is spending his spring break at the Olympic Training Center where he is "the favorite throwing dummy" for the resident team.

He says that every day he is amazed at how dedicated those guys are and how hard they are working to make the Olympic team, knowing that most will never make it, but never giving up.

I wish you all the success as a coach. It is a tough job, but one of the most rewarding things an athlete to do to help his sport.

Outstanding story; I admire your dedication.

Well, I would not go that far "Excellent way to handle things k-dog. I wish you were my coach :)"

I still get on the mat and have people say "What do you do if...." and I have to say "I don't know" and grab the head coach. I only know basic stuff that works in some circumstances. I try to make the person wrestle me how I want to wrestle. But, I know that the kids have different attributes and strengths, so they need more, or modified, techniques. I have a state coaching certification and a USA Wrestling Bronze certification, but I am still a very "basic" wrestler.

I use the stuff that the head coach has made me practice, and I remember what he does to me during my weekly "beat on me" session.

It is tough. I suffered what could potentially have been an end to my grappling career in November when I tried to teach a heavyweight how to do a double. But, with my leg wrapped and knee brace on, I was back in there a week later (after Dr. looked and said no severe damage).

Hell, that's even better k-dog - you don't try to bullshit the kids. If you don't know, you come clean.

Sounds to me like you're doing a fantastic job!

P.S. - I just archived this thread.

k dog...good job! We had egos come into my dojo with the same attitude. At 135lbs at the time...I was the BJJ RINGER lol. I like the way u handle it by bring in a college matured wrestler...teach GRADE SKOOL boy real life wrestling.