Colby Covington explains UFC 245 loss

Colby Covington won the UFC interim welterweight title, but was stripped, and then beat Robbie Lawler, extending his streak to seven. However, in his last fight, a title shot vs. Kamaru Usman, 'Chaos' came up short, losing via TKO in the fifth. 

During a recent appearance on the Ariel Helwani MMA Show, Covington publicly addressed the loss for the first time.time.

"Go look and review the tape of what happened on Dec. 14 at UFC 245," said Covington, as transcribed by Nolan King for MMA Junkie. "Give a fair call. Call it down the center. What actually happened? Let's talk about the bullet points."

"The second, I get a timeout. 'Oh, nice job. Let me call a nut shot.' The dude got hit in the liver and was ready to fold up like a lawn chair. Then all of a sudden he wants to call a nut shot? That's the fakest foul I've ever heard in all of fighting.

"... In the third round, 'Marty Fakenewsman' gets poked in the left eye. He's holding his right eye. He's selling to the doctor that, 'Oh, my right eye. Oh, my right eye.' Dude, you got poked in the left eye. What are you doing? You're faker than fake. That's why you're 'Marty Fakenewsman.' You're making fake excuses. You want a momentum change. That's what this is all about."

"We go to the fourth round, oh – I get poked by 'Marty Fakenewsman? Marc Goddard looks at me, 'No more timeouts. You guys keep fighting. No more timeouts. I'm not stopping it.' So he sees a clear foul where I get poked."

"Let's talk about the fifth round. I'm beating his ass again. I've won the whole entire fight. The fight is mine. They're about to wrap the welterweight championship around my waist. Then all of a sudden, I slip on a banana peel and I'm getting hit in the back of the head. Marc Goddard is seeing this right in front of his face. I'm getting hit in the back in the head.

"Go look at the video in the fifth round. I took four shots to the back of the head. I'm completely coherent and I cover up the back of my head. When I cover up the back of my head, he calls the fight. I stand right up and I protest. 'What are you doing? Why are you calling the fight?' I'm winning the whole entire fight. There's less than a minute left in the fight and you see a foul in front of your face and you don't call it. Then when you don't see a foul in front of your face, you give him time and throw him a life raft in a river when he's drowning.' That's why he's named 'Marc Not-so-Goodard.'"

"I also (had) to fight against the Nevada Athletic Commission releasing my corner audio. I thought we were supposed to be 25 feet away in the Octagon. There's not supposed to be any audio of the corner [and] what's going on in between rounds. How is it possible that gets broadcasted to the world?"

Covington also said his jaw did not in fact break, despite the fact that it broke.

2 Likes

Kayfabe

Here is the video interview

https://youtu.be/1t_GyMQ6CO4

1 Like

All of his points are valid. I thought the same thing when the replay showed what looked like a poke to the left eye but he held his right eye which didnt get touched. Same with the fake nut shot and the corner audio.

16 Likes

Marc not-so Goodard LOL

3 Likes

Well he said his momentum was taken away when the ref stopped the action on account of fake nut shots and eye pokage

1 Like
redruM14 -

All of his points are valid. I thought the same thing when the replay showed what looked like a poke to the left eye but he held his right eye which didnt get touched. Same with the fake nut shot and the corner audio.

he has points, I would love to see rematch and have Masvidal fight CM

1 Like

I want to see Masdival absolutely nuke this guy.

2 Likes

Superb.

1 Like

I didn't know Colby had a Brazilian heritage

2 Likes

Pretty much spot on. Only the racists and commies can't see what happened.

2 Likes

I think he was reverse trolling a little bit

knockoutfighter -

Here is the video interview

https://youtu.be/1t_GyMQ6CO4

Duck18? Is that you? 

Colby Covington is as credible, and delusional as his idol Donald Drunpf

3 Likes
awwdammit -

Colby Covington is as credible, and delusional as his idol Donald Drunpf

At least spell it right you fuckin moron 

He wears a fucking Trump hat.

Did you really expect him to not whine like a punk?

4 Likes
sirjoshua - 

He wears a fucking Trump hat.

Did you really expect him to not whine like a punk?

Less than 20 posts and 2 triggered NPC’s smh…fuckin sissies

1 Like
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
redruM14 -

he has points, I would love to see rematch and have Masvidal fight CM

I didn’t see the fight and am typically not a huge Colby fan, but was wondering if any of those points were valid. I know a lot don’t like him so won’t be unbiased.

So some points he brought up are legit?

1 Like