College admissions....bias against asians

dang

For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions

It's bullshit. If the asian students are the best then they deserve it more than the others. It's like the Indians and Pakistanis, you are a person of color, just the wrong color... Phone Post 3.0

My campus is fucking loaded with Asians. Phone Post 3.0

LFTM - My campus is fucking loaded with Asians. Phone Post 3.0
Keep in mind that certain Asians fall under the "targeted minority" umbrella with blacks and Hispanics.

Filipinos and Hmong are two that I know fall in that catagory. Phone Post 3.0

shampoohorn - 
LFTM - My campus is fucking loaded with Asians. Phone Post 3.0
Keep in mind that certain Asians fall under the "targeted minority" umbrella with blacks and Hispanics.

Filipinos and Hmong are two that I know fall in that catagory. Phone Post 3.0

Not to many Hmongs and phlips.

I don't quite understand how this works. What if I just don't check the box for race?

How do they know my race from my application?

tmxapp - 

I don't quite understand how this works. What if I just don't check the box for race?

nice try Mr. Kobayashi

hubris - 
tmxapp - 

nice try Mr. Kobayashi

I guess he just...

...can't win!

what if you are half asian ?....wtf ?

and yet Asians will vote overwhelming for liberals. You get what you vote for. I don't see what they're so shocked about. Asians by and large are big on education, family values, and work ethic. They've been voting against their own self interest for decades. Deal with it.

Time to form the NAAAP.

This has been known for a long time, no? Phone Post 3.0

I would have done so much better in high school if "they" didn't ruin the curve all the time.

No sympathy here!

Poleeko - Interesting. Cal has a large Asian population in the student body and most are from overseas. Seems the UC bends over backwards for those $$$. Phone Post 3.0

UCs struck down their institutional racism policies, but a lot of Ivy Leagues still practice affirmative action

From what I understand to be the general practice now, ethnic groups are rated against themselves, not against other ethnic groups.

So if you're an asian with a 2200 SAT score, that may only be the 100th best score among asians. If you're some other ethnicity/race with a score of 2000 and that is a top 25 score for your ethnic group, then you have a much better chance of getting in.

The huge problem with asians (at least most east asians) trying to get into college these days is that they all participate and excel at the exact same things which then makes them nothing special amongst others in their own group.

Didn't the UC system do away with racial labeling of students and assigned everyone a student number and the number of asian acceptances grew dramatically??? Thought I read that somewhere.

I've also read that there's a trend for mixed-asian students to use non-asian last names (from the non-asian parent) and label themselves the ethnicity of the non-asian parent in college applications.

Modern day racism.

It sucks but my mcdonalds order will be right 100% of the time while my cpa will fuck up my taxes. Phone Post 3.0

Political correctness, liberals...gotta love 'em.

Those numbers are pretty nuts. Things like this don't come up too often in conversations about race when it comes to special treatment.

It's payback for the General tao's chicken.

My son is half Taiwanese and half Mexican. We will be marking Hispanic when he applies to college. I only wish we had used my wife's surname as his middle name when he was born.

BTW He just got 1st place in his school's science fair beating out all 4th and 5th graders even though he is in 3rd grade. He did the same when he was in 1st grade :-) Oddly enough my wife pressures him more academically than I do. He also is fully fluent in Spanish but is just barely learning Chinese.