College/Pro question

Now, I'm not a huge college sports fan, I'll watch football games here and there, basketball only when it's March Madness, and then the Frozen Four. Usually, there's a consensus #1 draft pick, even though that person isn't guaranteed to be the best player that year. So why do teams pick them instead of the best player of that year?

For example, this year for football, it's widely speculated that Clowney is going #1 to the Texans I believe. However Jameis Winston won he Heisman and AP player of the Year, why not pick him? Phone Post 3.0

I dont' know anything about the players you mentioned since I don't watch college basketball or football.

When Reggie Bush was at USC and Mario Williams was in college too, I know that WIlliams went ahead of Reggie because it is hard to find a dominant defensive lineman. Back then, I thought the Texans were nuts. In hindsight, it was a brilliant move.

Winston isn't draft eligible this year, is he?

With college QBs, a lot are successful in a very specific college style system, but there's concerns with how their skills would translate in the NFL Phone Post 3.0

Enamoratu -

Winston isn't draft eligible this year, is he?

You might be right, I didn't even think of this Phone Post 3.0

They're going to draft whoever they think will help their team the most in the pros. They could care less about your college career Phone Post 3.0

Winston can't go to the draft this year as he was a freshman redshirt IIRC. Phone Post 3.0

Yamie Jagerbomb - I dont' know anything about the players you mentioned since I don't watch college basketball or football.

When Reggie Bush was at USC and Mario Williams was in college too, I know that WIlliams went ahead of Reggie because it is hard to find a dominant defensive lineman. Back then, I thought the Texans were nuts. In hindsight, it was a brilliant move.
That pick threw everyone off, no one seen it coming except the Texans lol Phone Post 3.0

You guys debunked my thoughts, thanks lol idk why I was thinking the way I was, I could've sworn that they're were recent instances where the top guy that got drafted wasn't really the best player, just more widely known. Crazy me Phone Post 3.0

Res ipsa loquitar - 

Wasnt Michael Jordan drafted second?

Edit: He was third, Behind Hakeem and SAM BOWIE 

Yep. People give the Blazers alot of shit for that one, and rightly so, but their reasoning at the time was atleast somewhat valid.

Their best two players were shooting guards (Jim Paxon and Clyde Drexler) so they wanted another guy at that position like a hole in the head.

Couple that with them being battered inside by the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs that year (namely by James Edwards, Larry Nance and Maurice Lucas) and they were desperate for size.

If anything, I guess it illustrates the point that teams shouldn't draft for position, but rather take the best player available.

Is Clowney still the projected #1?  He had a very quiet year - other than his speeding tickets. You can only watch that hit on Michigan so many times.  I think he will need to have a very good combine to go #1.  Which he might - dude is a freak of nature.

I believe he still is on some of the projections. The Texans need a QB though, Shaub isn't gonna get them to the next level Phone Post 3.0

Alco Hauler - 

Is Clowney still the projected #1?  He had a very quiet year - other than his speeding tickets. You can only watch that hit on Michigan so many times.  I think he will need to have a very good combine to go #1.  Which he might - dude is a freak of nature.

Most mocks have Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater going number 1.

Enamoratu -
Res ipsa loquitar - 

Wasnt Michael Jordan drafted second?

Edit: He was third, Behind Hakeem and SAM BOWIE 

Yep. People give the Blazers alot of shit for that one, and rightly so, but their reasoning at the time was atleast somewhat valid.

Their best two players were shooting guards (Jim Paxon and Clyde Drexler) so they wanted another guy at that position like a hole in the head.

Couple that with them being battered inside by the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs that year (namely by James Edwards, Larry Nance and Maurice Lucas) and they were desperate for size.

If anything, I guess it illustrates the point that teams shouldn't draft for position, but rather take the best player available.

Or that you shouldn't take centers who had already missed 2 full college seasons because of injuries. Phone Post 3.0

You pick who fits your team the best and can make the biggest impact. Sometimes you need a certain position filled more than you need whoever the best college football player is.

one thing that also plays into it is that certain positions almost never win awards etc so they aren't seen as the best player......Clowney would have an uphill climb trying to win a heisman

Enamoratu -
Alco Hauler - 

Most mocks have Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater going number 1.

I don't think Bridgewater is all that great. I've seen him play a few times, and from what I have seen he is very overrated.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing him in his bowl game against decent competition. Phone Post 3.0

I haven't actually seen him play this season. I'll try to catch the game vs. The U if I can so I can see what the draftniks are talking about.

Captain_Underpants - Now, I'm not a huge college sports fan, I'll watch football games here and there, basketball only when it's March Madness, and then the Frozen Four. Usually, there's a consensus #1 draft pick, even though that person isn't guaranteed to be the best player that year. So why do teams pick them instead of the best player of that year?

For example, this year for football, it's widely speculated that Clowney is going #1 to the Texans I believe. However Jameis Winston won he Heisman and AP player of the Year, why not pick him? Phone Post 3.0
Tommy Frasier won the Hiesman playing QB for Nebraska, then went into the CFL because the NFL had no place for an option quarterback Phone Post 3.0

Winston is not eligible to enter this years draft. nfl rules says a player has to be in college (out of high school) for 3 yrs. He will be eligible next year, probably be the 1st overall pick next year.