combat coalition's attitude change

Matt, plz visit www.senshido.com its Rich's site. Form your own opinon. I spent years going all around Montreal looking for someone who does this.

note to self: cancel plans for summer vacation in Indonesia.

Where does scenario training end? I mean all these guys say MMA training doesn't address fighting sitting down, in the shower, on a merry-go-round. How many situations does one have to prepare himself for? It's ludicrous.

I guess if you live long enough, you understand what is meant by 'things coming full circle'...these were the same guys 10 years ago who said they would just uppercut a wrestler shooting in on them.

I would love to see a bar fight between that forum and and a table full of Iowa Hawkeye wrestlers. This might help answer the sport v.s street issue.

JKogas..that's exactly my point..no martial arts combative or sport will turn a man into an invincible fighting machine...even if it does, it won't turn those who hangs around him into one and they are the one who will suffer - in Jakarta, 8 out of 10 street brawl would end-up in something being burned down..it could be someone's car, motorbike or even houses and they don't even have to be involve in the fight

I have visit Rich and Sammy's site and the thing that they missed is the one that I said in the first paragraph ...

PS: BreakUnose..I come from Jakarta (Indonesia)..anyway the city is a nice place just like LA..except for the traffic jam, pollution and sometimes barbarism (sounds familiar? *sigh*)

Hi everyone,

I hope that I am welcome on this forum considering this thread.

I would like to first state that I have nothing but respect for Mr. Thornton and his work. Simply because I may disagree with an opinion here and there does not make me better than, nor God like I assure you. I don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing with someone's opinions, if anything, it should produce good discussion and debate that everyone can learn from.

In no way, shape or form do I consider myself or what I do better than anyone. I don't claim I, nor my system is deadly, undefeatable or 'the best'. I have never had that sort of reputation nor do I want it. If anything, I encourage people to cross train and explore. As MS stated, and it is still present on my web site, I highly recommend Matt Thornoton and SBG as he (in my opinion) is one of the few out there that gets it. I agree with his philosophy and his work. Just because I may disagree with a thing or two doesn't make me better nor a critic nor does it lessen his achievements and work.

Matt has never been critisized or been put down on my forum nor would I ever allow it. I also feel that this JKD forum is one of the best on the internet with an excellent source of information. I hope that I have cleared up the misunderstanding.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely
Richard Dimitri

Hi Paul,

Thank you, your words are sincerely appreciated. Keep up the great work! I thuroughly enjoyed your article on Sport VS. Street on Matt's site, I couldn't agree more.

Sincerely
Richard Dimitri

Richard,
Good post and thanks for the kind words. Differing opinions is what makes discussion possible.

-Paul Sharp

www.straightblastgymillinois.com

This thread is moot. The "those guys are Sports guys" has been addressed SO much on this forum and on our site. I feel most anyone of moderate intelligence can read the previously stated posts and see that it is simply not true. It's also such a common falacy, and excuse for those that still do not train Alive, that it is almost cliche.

We added an entire section to our website titled:

'Street VS Sport nonsense'

Richard Dimitri, whoever that is, obviously has NO idea what we do. And I can promise you he has never visted an SBG himself. As such he has no idea of what he speaks.

I have no idea who he is, or what he does. So I will not comment in regards a positive or negative about what he is preaching. However, I will tell you this. . . . .

if what he is doing is "Alive" then it will by it's very nature, resemble 'sports'. That's because even with all the groin kicks, eye boinks, biting, whatever, you still need to add the element of a 'resisting opponent' otherwise you are engaging in a fantasy. I suggest reading some of the posts on the 'combatives-new traditional MA' thread for an example of this very concept.

if what he is doing is not "Alive" ie: My Arts do deadly to spar, etc. . .then this conversation is pointless, because he cannot fight, nor will anyone he trains.

As far as scenarios, multiple opponents, weapons, assualt tactics, awareness, etc. . .we do all of that. Anyone taking the time to read on the SBG, or better yet, visit one, will get that. It's just that we do it 'Alive'.

Again, I HIGHLY reccomend reading the 'street vs sports nonsense' section of our website. There is a great story about SBG Coach Paul Sharps recent run in with a "streetfighting' guy.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

I agree Matt. I really didn't post this to bring up the sport v.s street issue. I think that is the most ridiculous argument in all of martial arts (besides 'functional strength'). I just noticed a change in the climate with those guys and wondered what was up.

Jerry, the Rev is the man! The JKD of guitar players.

He is also a fan of the SBG, so he obviously has good taste.

-Matt(should have been a rockstar instead)Thornton

Right on menapace.

"Street-fighters" are so deadly though...I mean, they CAN'T compete. The rules put a clamp on their "effectiveness"...and so on, and so on.

LOL

I had some trouble having rational conversations at the kungfuonline forums...

www.kungfuonline.com

Man, those guys on Franco's forum are COMPLETELY clueless.

It's amazing. You try to get the word out and it just falls on deaf (and dumb) ears.

Amazing...

-John

Ok I'll bite, what's the functional strengh debate/arguement about? I haven't heard anything (good/bad) about it?

Only in the martial arts can you claim to be deadly and never have to prove it. You don't see many boxers and wrestlers who are 0-50 claim to be champions.