Combat Jiu-Jitsu keeps getting better and better

The competitors are striking much better. Their guards are being forced to respect the strikes. It's the best rules for bjj imo., aside from the overtime rule. I still don't really care for the overtime but props to Eddie for changing to the Combat Jiu-Jitsu format. I'm liking it a lot.

CJJ is dope but have definitely been missing EBI

fiznadd -

CJJ is dope but have definitely been missing EBI

Did you watch it tonight? It is certainly getting better. The next event is Nov 24th. I wonder if we will see the Gordon Ryan vs. Fabricio Werdum match. That would be sick.

Both of my guys won their special matches by sub. Super fun night and I agree guys are developing better positioning due to the strikes. Helps now that there are more mma guys crossing over.

Personally I hate it

I'd like to do a match or few. I need some crazy training partners.

I think it's wrong to have pro fighters crossing over. I look at EBI like a stepping stone to amateur MMA and pro being the final level. I think they should also add strikes standing. 

Can anyone do these events or is it invite only?

1 Like

CJJ is the same as pancrase was back in the day. Except now there's super high level grapplers who are hitting each other. 

MMA guys doing it is encouraged, they are not at any sort of advantage. There is no striking on the feet so they have no direct advantage over the more traditional BJJ guys except for maybe being more comfortable getting hit. But pretty much every one who competes isn't afraid of the contact so that's a moot point.

My 18yr old little brother won his match by sub (while landing a TON of strikes) against a 30yr old mma pro. The pro is very legit too, no knock on him. 

Someone please tell Eddie Bravo that MMA already exists and is much better. Also, tell him to add up kicks if he wants to see something more realistic. You can't even slap while on the feet in CJJ! Silliness.

wombat - Someone please tell Eddie Bravo that MMA already exists and is much better. Also, tell him to add up kicks if he wants to see something more realistic. You can't even slap while on the feet in CJJ! Silliness.

I disagree. This is a great way for BJJers to prepare their guards for a real fight without devoting a significant portion of their life to training and competing in MMA.

Your criticism would be like if kung fu started allowing takedowns in competitions in order to shore up a hole that has been exposed in their art and someone said, "they should just train MMA". No, it's perfectly sensible for them to alter their art to make it stronger.

wombat - Someone please tell Eddie Bravo that MMA already exists and is much better. Also, tell him to add up kicks if he wants to see something more realistic. You can't even slap while on the feet in CJJ! Silliness.

How many mma fights do you have? 

And how often do you train with strikes? I doubt very much, if ever.

I'm really enjoying it, great action

TheBearStare -

Can anyone do these events or is it invite only?

Anyone can be invited. Doesn't matter who you are... you just have to be asked, but it is for anyone. 

Even you can do it. 

If you are asked. 

CJJ sucks......might as well allow punches if you can hit.

WIth the open hand slaps, I think people still don't learn or practice the best distance management. Open hand slaps or blows mean the striker loses out 2-4 inches of range compared to a closed fist punch.

Also  a punch offers a more real element of danger with the power involved vs slaps

mideastgrappler -

WIth the open hand slaps, I think people still don't learn or practice the best distance management. Open hand slaps or blows mean the striker loses out 2-4 inches of range compared to a closed fist punch.

Also  a punch offers a more real element of danger with the power involved vs slaps

1. Delivering open hand strikes are better practice for an altercation on the streets so you don't break your knuckles by punching with a closed fist. For this reason, I would like them to allow strikes standing.

2. I don't know any ground defense that relies on being 2-4 inches out of their range. It's about wrist control and posture control.

3. You need to understand the difference between open-hand striking and slapping.

mideastgrappler -

How often do you train with strikes? How many mma fights do you have? 

I keep asking you dorks cause its obvious obvious you don't have any. You're making claims about things like distance management of strikes and you're just talking out of your ass.

I used to train with strikes frequently when I fought MMA. I am 7-2 in MMA

I also used to fight amateur muay thai and boxing for a few years, about 50 fights total.

So I know what it's like to take a hit and to throw a good one. Imagine if boxers were told they could only hit with open hands, every punch would lose about 2-3 inches of range

If you disagree about distance management of closed hand punches vs open hand strikes, maybe youre the one who's never fought with strikes on the ground

mideastgrappler -

I also used to fight amateur muay thai and boxing for a few years, about 50 fights total.

So I know what it's like to take a hit and to throw a good one. Imagine if boxers were told they could only hit with open hands, every punch would lose about 2-3 inches of range

If you disagree about distance management of closed hand punches vs open hand strikes, maybe youre the one who's never fought with strikes on the ground

I am not sure if you saw the last combat jiu-jitsu. There were some slaps still but there was also some pretty good strikes thrown. What you say is true but the striking is getting better imo and it's fun to watch. 

It's very different than mma. The guard play is at a higher level and they are not just looking to stand up. The improved striking is keeping the guards more honest also. I like it.

mideastgrappler - 

Losing 2-3 inches of range, due to open palm, is actually a good thing… for CJJ.

In CJJ, you are in close range, very close range, so the more effective strikes are shorter and tighter.

Notice how hammer fists and elbows are a lot more lethal in “ground and pound” compared to standard closed fist punches.

The open palm strike, especially if it’s done like Bas style (hitting with the bottom of the palm) is pretty damn effective in close range.