Combat Jiu-Jitsu keeps getting better and better

forumnewb -
mideastgrappler - 

I used to train with strikes frequently when I fought MMA. I am 7-2 in MMA

I also used to fight amateur muay thai and boxing for a few years, about 50 fights total.

So I know what it's like to take a hit and to throw a good one. Imagine if boxers were told they could only hit with open hands, every punch would lose about 2-3 inches of range

If you disagree about distance management of closed hand punches vs open hand strikes, maybe youre the one who's never fought with strikes on the ground

Losing 2-3 inches of range, due to open palm, is actually a good thing… for CJJ.

In CJJ, you are in close range, very close range, so the more effective strikes are shorter and tighter.

Notice how hammer fists and elbows are a lot more lethal in “ground and pound” compared to standard closed fist punches.

The open palm strike, especially if it’s done like Bas style (hitting with the bottom of the palm) is pretty damn effective in close range.

losing 2-3 inches of range is good for the defender, not the striker

hammer fists are not short range punches, they require a pretty decent range to wind up for power shots. Elbows are another story. Both of which are illegal in CJJ 

Most of Bas’s lethal open hand blows were delivered from standing position, not on the ground

I’m not saying open hand blows are ineffective or not capable of being dangerous, just that they require more effort and skill and aren’t quite as dangerous as closed fist punches. If open hand strikes are so effective, why don’t more top level mma fighters use open blows instead of punches? How many vicious KO’s do you see happen from GnP with closed fist punches compared to KO’s from open hand blows on the ground? Closed fist KO’s are exponentially greater for a reason

mideastgrappler -
forumnewb -
mideastgrappler - 

I also used to fight amateur muay thai and boxing for a few years, about 50 fights total.

So I know what it's like to take a hit and to throw a good one. Imagine if boxers were told they could only hit with open hands, every punch would lose about 2-3 inches of range

If you disagree about distance management of closed hand punches vs open hand strikes, maybe youre the one who's never fought with strikes on the ground

Losing 2-3 inches of range, due to open palm, is actually a good thing… for CJJ.

In CJJ, you are in close range, very close range, so the more effective strikes are shorter and tighter.

Notice how hammer fists and elbows are a lot more lethal in “ground and pound” compared to standard closed fist punches.

The open palm strike, especially if it’s done like Bas style (hitting with the bottom of the palm) is pretty damn effective in close range.

losing 2-3 inches of range is good for the defender, not the striker

hammer fists are not short range punches, they require a pretty decent range to wind up for power shots. Elbows are another story. Both of which are illegal in CJJ 

Most of Bas’s lethal open hand blows were delivered from standing position, not on the ground

I’m not saying open hand blows are ineffective or not capable of being dangerous, just that they require more effort and skill and aren’t quite as dangerous as closed fist punches. If open hand strikes are so effective, why don’t more top level mma fighters use open blows instead of punches? How many vicious KO’s do you see happen from GnP with closed fist punches compared to KO’s from open hand blows on the ground? Closed fist KO’s are exponentially greater for a reason

He right . Closed fist > Open hand, not really sure how or why that’s a debate. Clinch your fist , feel the tension. That’s made to smash 

mideastgrappler -

Of all the things that never happened, 50 Muay Thai fights is the mostest. But good enough try.

1 Like
BTTMike -
mideastgrappler -

Of all the things that never happened, 50 Muay Thai fights is the mostest. But good enough try.

Of all the things that will never happen, is that I'm not going to try and convince internet retards about anything I don't care to