Combining Mod1 and Weight Lifting?

Do you have a certain number of sets you like to do?

I typically do no more than 2-3 work sets per exercise. Warm-up sets vary; not needed as much when you're doing 15 rep sets - more important (obviously) when doing lower rep sets

Why overall body workouts? Considering I'm going to be running a lot between Rugby and just plain ol' roadwork I was hoping I would keep the resistance training on my legs to a minimum. My legs are usually pretty trashed for atleast 24 hours after I lift so I can't run for shit during that time. I wouldn't mind doing the whole body stuff, but recovery is a big issue for me. Can you recommend any good ways to speed up leg recovery?

ttt

Man, with your schedule recovery time looks to be at a premium. Don't know how you can speed-up recovery. Perhaps considering all of your other activities hitting each large muscle group only 1x per week would work better. I'm not an expert, but the best advice I think I could give would be to listen to your body - if if you squatted 2 days ago & your weight routine calls for deads today but your back & legs are still fried from rugby / running / squatting, take the day off and let yourself heal.

TTT

ttt

Nice program design, Xen.

Sorry I haven't posted on here yet! It looks like you're getting some kickass advice on combining weights with the Mod. 1. A lot of times, people buy the Mod. 1 and figure they're just gonna "throw it in" with the rest of the stuff they are doing without taking into account just how demanding the routines can actually be. With all of the stuff I've read that you are doing, the one thing I would leave out (at least initially) is this: Considering I'm going to be running a lot between Rugby and just plain ol' roadwork I was hoping I would keep the resistance training on my legs to a minimum.Believe me, your legs are going to get enough of a thrashing with the workouts on the Mod. 1 (especially Lunges and Squats and Creeping Death). I ran into this sort of problem with some of the fighters from Egan Inoue's school who just couldn't give up their goddamn road work. By the end of the second week these guys were complaining about OVERTRAINING. I couldn't figure out why there were so beaten down, they really weren't doing THAT much...yet. Then I found out they were running 5-6 miles every night on the treadmill. I about lost it! Once they dropped that shit, they recovered faster, came to each workout fresh and made much better progress. Of course, this was after I "sweet talked" them into why they should drop that booolsheet. ;)SCRAP

Woo-hoo!!! Scrapper sez "No More Roadwork"!!!!

*burns running shoes and tears open bon-bons*

Xen,

Thanks for the post, but you completely ignored what I talked about in my early posts; I do not want to do weight training and scrapper's routines on the same day. You've got a lot of good things to say, but what can you come up with considering the alternating 3/2 split I'm trying to achieve?

SCRAP,

I need roadwork. My goal is to reach a level of fitness that will allow me to maxout or nearly maxout a USMC PFT. Basically I need to get really good at pullups, situps, and running. I know your stuff is the shit so I figured if anything was going to elevate my level of fitness it would your Mod1 program. However, in order for me to reach my goal, roadwork is a definite necessity. And I've got a long way to go because I'm about 40lbs heavier than I should be, my upperbody strength is pathetic, and I may have the worst running stamina on the planet.

Maybe with all this being said you can point me in an entirely different direction that may be better for what I am trying to achieve.

ttt

Don't bust out the bon-bons just yet. I need roadwork. My goal is to reach a level of fitness that will allow me to maxout or nearly maxout a USMC PFT.How far are you running for your road work sessions? SCRAP

SCRAP,

I'm a mess, bro. Running a mile without stopping is torture for me at this point. I've let myself slide so low that I'll literally be starting from scratch-a horrible fitness level in every aspect.

Let me give you an idea...

I attempted to do some bench press yesterday. I had 135lbs on there as a way to limber up. Doing 10 reps of 135 turned out to be way harder than it should ever be! I then went on to attempt a set of 5 with 205lbs and I could only do 3 reps! That is horrible!

And then there is pullups which I am no better at. I may be able to do 3 with proper form. ONLY 3! And most pathetic of all is my running ability. I'm struggling at a half a mile. Doing the full mile without stopping is difficult to the point of absurdity.

Again, I'm really embarrassed that I've let myself get like this, but I sincerely want to get my ass in gear and turn it around. This is what I'd like to accomplish within the next 60 days...

My weight: To go from 240lbs to 220lbs.

My upperbody strength: To go from 3 pullups to 15 and to increase my bench press to a 1 rep max of 300lbs.

My running: To run a mile in under 7 minutes, to be able to complete 3 miles without stopping, and to run 3 miles in less than 25 minutes.

What I want to accomplish in 90 days...

My weight: To be 200-210lbs

My upperbody strength: 20+ pullups and bench press 1RM of 320lbs.

My running: To run a mile in under 6.5 minutes, To be able to complete 5 miles without stopping, and to run 3 miles in less than 22 minutes.

OK. I won't lie to you and sugar coat my observation that your fitness levels are pretty shitty, BUT, you could be a whole helluva lot worse man, trust me. The problem with looking so negatively at your current situation is setting your goals too high, burning out, and feeling even shittier.

Take your goals and break them down into manageable chunks.

If a mile is kicking your ass, break it down into segments that you can run comfortably in. Drive your car and measure out between 4-8 "sections" of the mile that you can alternate running with brisk walking. Keep note of how often you have to actually STOP and how you feel at the end of the mile.

As you get in better shape, quit walking and JOG those intervals. This may sound like you're going the pussy route, but you're not. Take a look at Taku's Intervals on my website. Without question, some of the hardest shit I've EVER done and I make all my clients go through them. Forcing them to go through the full 90 second sprints right off the bat would be discouraging so they start off by doing what they can.

As long as you are being honest with yourself about what you are doing, you'll continue to make progress. This is why keeping an accurate log is so important. It removes the aspect of emotional judgement that nags you no matter what you do so you push harder and fuck yourself up inside of two weeks.

Once you can run/jog the mile, then it's time to increase the speed of the running. My biggest problem with "road work" is people wanting to run 1.5 miles at a good pace so they run 5 miles super slow and think that because you're "half-ing" the distance you'll double the speed. Yes, there will come a time when you will need to run further than the 3 miles that is your current goal, but doing it every week when it's kicking your ass inside out isn't the way to get there.

Let me make another post and address the rest of your goals...

My weight: To go from 240lbs to 220lbs.Good clean eating and the Mod. 1 will shed that baby fat you're currently carrying around. My upperbody strength: To go from 3 pullups to 15 and to increase my bench press to a 1 rep max of 300lbs.There's plenty of upperbody work in the Mod. 1 and you've gotten some good tips on this thread. I go over plenty of pullup variations in the Mod. 1 video so make sure you watch it and pay attention! The bench press is another issue. If you're going for a 1RM of 300lbs, doing 135 for 10 reps isn't the way to go. Again, don't double the volume and think you're twice as strong with half the reps. Ryno has some kickass training ideas in his other thread that work really well with the Mod. 1. Baby steps bro, THEN you can run! My running: To run a mile in under 7 minutes, to be able to complete 3 miles without stopping, and to run 3 miles in less than 25 minutes.Use the jumprope as often as you can with the Mod. 1 workouts and you're going to see your endurance go through the freakin roof. I see it all the time with people that come to SCRAPPETTE's (and mine) classes here in Hawaii. What I want to accomplish in 90 days... My weight: To be 200-210lbs My upperbody strength: 20+ pullups and bench press 1RM of 320lbs. My running: To run a mile in under 6.5 minutes, To be able to complete 5 miles without stopping, and to run 3 miles in less than 22 minutes.Work on the other stuff, achieve that, and then we'll work on this. ;)SCRAP

TTT

ISFA, the only way to do it is to DO IT. Jump into your new program and get started. Hell, just start with the Scrapper stuff if you're still working out the details to the weight routine - you can't go wrong there & by the time you settle on an approach to your weight training your cardio will already be on the way up.

Good luck & hang in there.

-Savage

Scrap,

Thanks for the response. You're the man. I almost wish I had enough money to make it over to Hawai for 3 months so you could kick my ass into shape in person. I'll keep you informed about my progress.

Savage,

Thanks for the support. I will do it!

Don't sweat it bro. All the positive talking in the world won't do anything for you if you don't take it upon yourself to actually DO something.

Make your goals challenging, but DO-ABLE. You've taken the first step by actually defining the goals you want to achieve, now you just have to start walking towards them.

Keep me posted on how you're doing!

SCRAP