Comic Book Movies start off great but sequels suck

Why is it the origins of the characters make for such great movies but almost without fail, the follow up movies suck so many dicks? Phone Post 3.0

Because they try to progress the story like a movie and not a comic book. In a comic I just want to see my favorite heroes in different situations. Movies are worried about continuity, character progression, etc Phone Post 3.0

Yea I enjoy learning about the origins of each character but I want to see them battle new villains.

There's only so much story development you can do. Start introducing new characters and villains & make each new movie it's own instead of a sequel to the previous.

That is, unless the story requires 2 movies be made from it.

Comics run into this same issue. If you keep building outrageous event upon outrages event I start losing track of the little shit. I'm expected to remember how the world was saved time and again, infinity stones, etc; of course I'm going to forget shit like why Pepper is pissed at Tony Phone Post 3.0

Captain America: The Winter soldier was better than the original and the best comicbook movie made. Phone Post 3.0

Also Superman 2 was way better than the original.
I preferred Batman returns to Batman. Phone Post 3.0

First movie deals with origin stories and becoming a hero - classic timeless arc

2nd movie deals with the struggle of being the man and trying to avoid the fall

But by the third movie you either repeat the 2nd or have a finish with either the hero retiring/dying/passing the torch

And now superhero franchises basically don't end ever and just repeat the 2nd movie arcs forever. Phone Post 3.0

Spider-Man 2 was better

False assumption Phone Post 3.0

And do we even have to mention Dark Knight Phone Post 3.0

HolyHackBBCZack - Because they try to progress the story like a movie and not a comic book. In a comic I just want to see my favorite heroes in different situations. Movies are worried about continuity, character progression, etc Phone Post 3.0
That interesting. Because to me, the avengers movies and 2nd Capt. America movie all seem the same. Same characters in "different" situations and I found those movies ungodly boring and repetitive.

Origin stories are much more interesting to me than what happens next. With most of the marvel movies now it's just one bad guy, then all the good guys have to come together despite whatever rift is going on amongst them ... Then at the end of the day they see that the rift wasn't what they originally thought and they band together to defeat the enemy. Rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.... Phone Post 3.0

Most of the current ones feel like a giant commercial for whatever the next one is.

Or a hip-hop single where the main dude is barely even there, but is "featuring" a bunch of other motherfuckers. Phone Post 3.0

HolyHackBBCZack - Because they try to progress the story like a movie and not a comic book. In a comic I just want to see my favorite heroes in different situations. Movies are worried about continuity, character progression, etc Phone Post 3.0

QFT

Ryann Von Doom - Captain America: The Winter soldier was better than the original and the best comicbook movie made. Phone Post 3.0
This man knows what's up Phone Post 3.0

Now that I think about it, I think Batman, Thor, Spider-Man, Captain America and maybe even X-Men had better sequels than the original films. I enjoyed them all though.

Ryann Von Doom - Captain America: The Winter soldier was better than the original and the best comicbook movie made. Phone Post 3.0
Civil war was better then origins Phone Post 3.0

This. Imagine if the original Batman comics were 30 comics long about him finally beating some random dude. It's fucking stupid.

Maybe becuase the characters aren't that interesting? Once you know their story you don't want to know anymore about them.

Ryann Von Doom - Captain America: The Winter soldier was better than the original and the best comicbook movie made. Phone Post 3.0

RVD layeth the smack down

The hollywood formula for sequels is to spend less than on the original, for a calculated lower profit. The third movie will have an even lower budget, and make less than the second. Rince repeat until the series is killed off. This is true for most older sequels, but not all comic book movie franchices today. Another major problem with sequels is that they are often rushed out to cash in on the success of the original, which means less time in development. Often with a new and cheaper/less talented director. For some reason they also feel they have to top the first movie and make it more spectacular, which most of the time just make them more ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

I'm actually not a big fan of origin stories at all. Mostly since I already know being a comic reader, but I don't want to waste precious time with this coming of age feel good crap. Let's get down to business and see the hero and villain at full power duking it out. There are so many villains out there yet to be on the big screen, it is wasted on these reboots. How many times do we have to see crappy versions of Green Goblin and Dr Doom? Some examples where sequels were better than origin story: X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, Winter Soldier, Thor 2, Incredible Hulk, Dark Knight, Superman 2, and though many would disagree - Blade 2.