Coming Soon: Rich Franklin vs Dan Henderson?

Source Dave Meltzer:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/4/28/144951/588

- New welterweight champion St. Pierre was offered a title defense with Jon Fitch, but felt his hands were damaged in his win over Matt Serra in Montreal and he couldn't be ready in such a short period of time. Franklin, who also fought in Montreal, was offered a match with Dan Henderson, but felt after such a hard training camp that he wouldn't be able to peak again so soon. Both fights are expected to take place later this year.

-Silva recently underwent an undisclosed operation and hasn't given UFC a timetable on when he'll be available to fight. There is an issue regarding a potential fight with Roy Jones Jr., since UFC refused to allow the match and didn't like him talking abut it. But Silva has continued to talk about Jones as an opponent, largely to the exclusion of everyone else.

-Liddell, meanwhile, hopes to be back for a show in September. His likely opponents would either be Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who he was originally scheduled to face in London before Rua had surgery for a torn ACL, or more likely whoever wins the May 24 match between Wanderlei Silva and Keith Jardine.

Dana - come back to Montreal with these match ups.... Thanks =)

UFC 85

I don't know if Rich and Dan so soon is a good idea. Dan needs an easier opponent first I think and should get in the win column.

GSP is taking 5-6 months off

goeb - I don't know if Rich and Dan so soon is a good idea. Dan needs an easier opponent first I think and should get in the win column.

And then hear everyone bitch that he's fighting cans?  No fucking way.  At his level he should only be fighting top ranked opponents.

ttt

"-Liddell, meanwhile, hopes to be back for a show in September. His likely opponents would either be Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who he was originally scheduled to face in London before Rua had surgery for a torn ACL, or more likely whoever wins the May 24 match between Wanderlei Silva and Keith Jardine."

?

Why the fuck would Liddell be fighting either Keith or Wanderlei again?

guardbr8kr -  GSP is taking 5-6 months off

That would put GSP-Fitch headlining UFC 88 in Sept or perhaps UFC 89 in Oct.

Hopefully Anderson is OK to fight someone and headline either UFC 87, 88 or 89. That will be a fairly long layoff for him.

ttt

orcus - 

Why the fuck would Liddell be fighting either Keith or Wanderlei again?

I'm annoyed by all the pointless rematches, but both were close exciting fights, I think either warrants a rematch.

Chuck vs Shogun or Wand/Jardine would probably also be for a title shot too, so it makes a lot of sense IMO

I've wanted to see Hendo/Franklin for years, I hope they put it together soon.

Both guys are kind of in limbo as gatekeepers at 185, so at least it would be an exciting fight even if it doesn't clear up the rankings. It would be rough for Hendo to get his 3rd straight loss though

I think the UFC learned not to put off big matches any more with all the fluke injuries and upsets out there

Silva is going to kick the Techno Viking's ass. No point in him fighting Wanderlei again for a while. My guess is that he fights Shogun or the winner of Rampage/ Griffin.

#2 vs #3 needs to happen

There is no way Chuck rematching either of the guys he fought in his last two fights should even be considered.

What would his resume look like? Babalu x 2, Tito x 2, Horn x 2, Rampage x 2, Silva or Jardine x 2, Couture x 3? Just stupid.

It needs to be Shogun or the winner of Thiago/Rashad.

I agree with orcus in this case both Shogun and Chuck are recovering from serious injuries and will be ready to face each other this fall or the end of the year.

after rich lost he faced mcdonald , then okami..i would think they would do henderson the same luxury ang give him a fight that he an up and comer that he will probably win an save hendo vs franklin for a little down the road when it can get either one back in the title picture late this year at the earliest oct- dec sometime...then either one could fight early to mid-2009 and get a shot at the belt in mid to late 2009..that would make more sense to me..at least

hendo all the way for the record

Looks like Chuck's management wants nothing to do with Rashad. It's a pity...

Henderson can knock Franklin out. Dangerous fight for Franklin. All of you guys are worried they haven't given Henderson enough warmup fights? LOL.

Henderson wins this in the first two.

I'd like to see:

Franklin vs. Leben
Franklin vs. Henderson
Franklin vs. Bisping
Franklin vs. Marquardt
Franklin vs. Almeida
Franklin vs. Maia
Franklin vs. Leites
Franklin vs. Kampmann

plenty of great matchups still available.

I also agree with the why's on Liddell rematching Wandy or Jardine. There are more interesting matchups available:

Liddell vs. T. Silva
Liddell vs. Rashad
Liddell vs. Machida
Liddell vs. Alexander
Liddell vs. Irvin
Liddell vs. Shogun