Company is getting bought out. Losing my job? TME

I work in a healthcare marketing/sales position and I'm only a few months in with the company. I also have the tough task of rebuilding a territory which hasn't been producing in some time. We're being bought out by an established competitor with their own sales teams.

Question is with me being new and still in the building process, do I keep my job?

Anyone been through this before? Phone Post 3.0

Might be best to prep the resume.  I don't think there can be a blanket statement about whether you'll keep your job at not.  If your department is total shit, I could see it being cut.  More realistically, they'll assess employees on a case by case basis. 

You'll probably keep your job. The new parent company will more than likely keep your staff (as you're already familiar with the territory, rather than redeveloping existing talent)and you won't be affected. Essentially they dont want to create double the work for 1/2 of the employees.

No need to sugarcoat this: You are ABSOLUTELY getting fired. You should be looking for a new position right now.

KidPittsburgh - You'll probably keep your job. The new parent company will more than likely keep your staff (as you're already familiar with the territory, rather than redeveloping existing talent)and you won't be affected. Essentially they dont want to create double the work for 1/2 of the employees.
This would be nice but the competing (buying) company already has established business in the area. Phone Post 3.0

KidPittsburgh - You'll probably keep your job. The new parent company will more than likely keep your staff (as you're already familiar with the territory, rather than redeveloping existing talent)and you won't be affected. Essentially they dont want to create double the work for 1/2 of the employees.
"Essentially they dont want to create double the work for 1/2 of the employees"

Really? Since when have US companies become altruistic? They easily want to squeeze as much as they can from their employees. Work hours have been steadily increasing each decade, despite 'technological efficiencies' to make workers more productive.

I don't think they will fire everyone, and definitely not at first. There will be a Lon transition period where most likely there will be foreshadowing of when/if you will get axed.

Some companies look at salary. If you are relatively cheap, they might keep you and let a more expensive sales person go. However if your compensation is mostly commission based, it's a moot point. Phone Post 3.0

Vote ups for errbody by the way. Appreciating the insight since this is a first for me. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah update those resumes and cover letters ASAP

ThinkAlpha - I work in a healthcare marketing/sales position and I'm only a few months in with the company. I also have the tough task of rebuilding a territory which hasn't been producing in some time. We're being bought out by an established competitor with their own sales teams.

Question is with me being new and still in the building process, do I keep my job?

ALWAYS have an updated resume and cover letter. ALWAYS.

I say work this from 2 angles.

Look for a new job. Put some feelers out. Get in touch with a headhunter. No full court press because the other thing you're gonna do is ....

Figure out what it takes to make you attractive to keep to your new employer. It could be as simple as breaking the herd mentality I've seen when one company buys another. The existing staff circles the wagons in an effort to resist what the new owners are doing because "we've always done it this way" and "they don't know what they're doing" and a million other reasons that are bullshit.

If you run into one that ISN'T bullshit then you're in a good place to bring it up with the new owners.

Your current co-workers might look at you as a sell out - but what's the goal here? Is it to please your current co-workers or remain employed so you can keep paying your bills?

I guarantee none of your co-workers are gonna step up and pay your rent/mortgage if you get canned.

juszczec -
ThinkAlpha - I work in a healthcare marketing/sales position and I'm only a few months in with the company. I also have the tough task of rebuilding a territory which hasn't been producing in some time. We're being bought out by an established competitor with their own sales teams.

ALWAYS have an updated resume and cover letter. ALWAYS.

I say work this from 2 angles.

Look for a new job. Put some feelers out. Get in touch with a headhunter. No full court press because the other thing you're gonna do is ....

Figure out what it takes to make you attractive to keep to your new employer. It could be as simple as breaking the herd mentality I've seen when one company buys another. The existing staff circles the wagons in an effort to resist what the new owners are doing because "we've always done it this way" and "they don't know what they're doing" and a million other reasons that are bullshit.

If you run into one that ISN'T bullshit then you're in a good place to bring it up with the new owners.

Your current co-workers might look at you as a sell out - but what's the goal here? Is it to please your current co-workers or remain employed so you can keep paying your bills?

I guarantee none of your co-workers are gonna step up and pay your rent/mortgage if you get canned.
Good points., conference call in a couple hours but better be prepared for anything. Phone Post 3.0

of have been part of the buoght out twice. the first one was about a year transition before wholesale layoffs started. the 2nd was over 2 years then it began. the streamlining sucks because everyone feels like the walking dead and moral is at the bottom.

if you can show you are a valuable employee you might be alright.

I think it depends on if your company and department were successful or not. If your area was failing expect a lot of turnover in management.

If your group was successful, they may not tinker with something that is already working.

Usually the lower you are on the totem pole, the safer you are in situations like these as far as layoffs/terminations are concerned. If they fuck you, it will be in your pay and benefits.

As a sales marketing guy you should be ready for the worst. Your job is likely redundant and will be "consolidated".

Sorry, buddy. Get ready to be cut. Phone Post 3.0

Fine my thread about hiring Medical SW Sales..

Lets talk.