Compound hunting bow question

There's an outdoor archery range near me that I assume doesn't want me to use broadheads.

I know I'm supposed to use broadheads for all practice sessions, but I want to use this range periodically because they have dozens of targets spread out over 30 acres of forest and trails.

What arrow point should I use so I don't get yelled at?

Thanks in advance.

You said you’re supposed to use broadheads for a practicing? Use the same grain field point

4 Likes

Aaron Becker -

You said you’re supposed to use broadheads for a practicing? Use the same grain field point

This. The more you shoot, the better your muscle memory will be.  Work on your technique (breath, stance, anchor point, etc) on the range.  The more you do, the better you will get.

Find another place to shoot your broadheads before going on the hunt, and compare where you are hitting, compared to field points, then adjust your sight if necessary

1 Like

Thanks.

Black Dougie - 
Aaron Becker -

This. The more you shoot, the better your muscle memory will be.  Work on your technique (breath, stance, anchor point, etc) on the range.  The more you do, the better you will get.

Find another place to shoot your broadheads before going on the hunt, and compare where you are hitting, compared to field points, then adjust your sight if necessary

Just no. Hell fucking no.

You do not adjust your sight. You tune your bow properly so the point of impact is the same regardless of what is on the end of it.

Only correct answer. Or be like most and do it half-assed.

Oh shit.  The Solid Mother Fucker is here

1 Like

I've never practice shot any of my broadheads more than once or twice. I use field tips to practice,  broadheads to hunt. I've never had any trouble going from one to the other. 

Buy your own broadhead target if you want to practice with your broadheads.

Most broadheads have a plastic version of the same weight and design as the bladed model

You want to go do some bullshit like that go buy a dropped bow on craigslist or a really used cheap bow.

Dryfly -
Black Dougie - 
Aaron Becker -

You do not adjust your sight. You tune your bow properly so the point of impact is the same regardless of what is on the end of it.

Got to agree. Messing with your sights will fuck you up mentally and you'll start thinking every slight deviation requires a sight adjustment. Do it right the first time and you know it's your technique and not the sight.

I only practice with broadheads a week or two before season. Never heard of always practicing with broadheads. Kind of negates the need for practice tips, no?

Get field points that weigh the same as your broad head 

Kirik Jr -

I've never practice shot any of my broadheads more than once or twice. I use field tips to practice,  broadheads to hunt. I've never had any trouble going from one to the other. 

Same.

Dryfly -
Black Dougie - 
Aaron Becker -

This old fucker has fired a few arrows. Listen to his grumpy ass.

Kirik Jr - 

I never use field points unless I am setting up a new bow.

I shoot the same damn broad-heads year round that I hunt with.

Have done this for a very long time. Shooting with exactly what you will hunt with, is the only reasonable thing to do. You don't want to be changing any damn thing at all when switching from practice to hunting.

I shoot VPA broad-heads for just this reason. They are milled out of a single block of steel. No moving parts. I can put one thru a cinder-block, resharpen it, put it back in my quiver, and go hunting.

I am guessing you don't shoot very far. Back up to 100 yards. Will bet good money you will not have all your arrows land in one spot, simply because they will not all fly the same unless they're tuned exactly. It takes much effort to get them there.

I wounded a deer with a poor shot in about 1985. I vowed it would never happen again, as it bothered me greatly...it has not. 1 shot, 1 kill, on each and every hunt since.

Which VPA model/grain do you use?

Cowsgomoo - 

Buy your own broadhead target if you want to practice with your broadheads.

Or spend $100 on one that will last hundreds of shots. You know because it was designed just for that use.

edit to add: My bad, I read this wrong the first time and thought you said "build" your own. My apologies.

The Texas Crutch - Which VPA model/grain do you use?

150 grain, 3 blade, non-vented. They are literally made to perfection.

The 150 grain gives me an foc of about 20%, which is just what I want.

jahsco - 

Most broadheads have a plastic version of the same weight and design as the bladed model

I have done this since before there was such a thing as a compound bow.

I have never once in my life seen a plastic broad-head.

It does sound dangerous as fuck though.

I dealt with many companies while testing components. None of them make a plastic broad-head. That I know for sure.

Dryfly - 
The Texas Crutch - Which VPA model/grain do you use?

150 grain, 3 blade, non-vented. They are literally made to perfection.

The 150 grain gives me an foc of about 20%, which is just what I want.

Those are beautiful, so simple and clean.

The 300 grain is huge, I'm assuming that's for a bear?