Compubox comes to MMA

Found this interesting, so I thought I would share. What do you guys think of this??

===========================

COMPUBOX MMA Debut Report - CFFC (Kimbo-Mercer)

by Bob Canobbio

Compu-Combat, the computer program that counts and categorizes strikes thrown and connected during mixed martial arts fights made it debut last Saturday night at the CFFC-5 event at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Owned and operated by CompuBox Inc., the Compu-Combat program tallies arm & leg strikes thrown and connected, with percentage landed, from the standing and ground positions. The Compu-Combat program also scores takedowns and submission attempts. Tallied arm & leg strikes produce a “total strike” count.

Here’s what Hall of Fame announcer The Colonel, Bob Sheridan had to say about the Compu-Combat system after serving as play-by-play man for the CFFC-5 event:

“As a broadcaster, I've always enjoyed getting the extra input that CompuBox provides to boxing (and now mma) telecasts …it's just a terrific tool to add more information for the viewer. The big suprise to me was not the total number of strikes, because the rounds are longe , but rather the continued high percentage of strikes that landed. CompuCombat is a terrific innovation for mma and I'm sure all of the mixed martial arts companies will begin to enhance their shows with the information provided by the new innovation of Compu-Combat. I’m proud to think I was a part of this new and exciting innovation to the world of combat sports…”

Here’s the round-by-round breakdown from all ten fights.

Kimbo Slice via guillotine choke in round one over Ray Mercer…Once the trash-talking ceased, Kimbo immediately overpowered Mercer. Slice landed 24 of 28 total strikes (86%) to just 5 of 8 for Mercer. Slice surprisingly took Mercer down, leading to a guillotine choke submission.

(Continue Reading)

Cool, I've always wanted to see this.

That makes two of us. Very cool imo.