Con men make $1.7 mil - fake Van Damme film

???

----------------

How Four Men Conned People Into Investing in a Jean-Claude Van Damme-Starring WWII Epic

A group of con artists allegedly ran a boiler room telemarketing scam, convincing 70 investors to fork over $1.7 million to fund a film supposedly set in Paris during WWII and starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.

As audiences revel in the excesses of Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street, which tells the real-life tale of Jordan Belfort, a lascivious broker—played by Leonardo DiCaprio—who scammed investors out of millions, a group of California men were arrested and indicted on federal fraud charges Thursday morning for running a scam so incredible not even Hollywood could cook it up.

According to a grand jury indictment filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, as well as a separate civil suit filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the four men—Samuel Braslau, 53; Rand Jay Chortkoff, 64; Stuart Rawitt, 47; and Robert Matias, 50—allegedly ran a boiler room operation out of Van Nuys, Calif., that scammed 70 investors out of $1.7 million to fund a film project supposedly set in Paris during World War II and starring a cast of luminaries ranging from Gerard Butler to Jean-Claude Van Damme.

“The glamour associated with Hollywood and movies is something that really hooks people in,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Ellyn M. Lindsay, who works in the Major Frauds section and is handling the case, told The Daily Beast. “What’s scary is that older people and people who really can’t afford it are putting their life savings into this because they’re told it’s safe, and of course it’s not.”..........

MORE:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/21/how-four-men-allegedly-conned-people-into-investing-in-a-jean-claude-van-damme-starring-wwii-epic.html

This scam sounds like the plot of a Van Damme film. Is this an elaborate advertising scheme? I am confused. Phone Post 3.0

"“The glamour associated with Hollywood and movies is something that really hooks people in,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Ellyn M. Lindsay, who works in the Major Frauds section and is handling the case, told The Daily Beast. “What’s scary is that older people and people who really can’t afford it are putting their life savings into this because they’re told it’s safe, and of course it’s not.”..........

I don't get how people do not check this stuff out...How are you going to just hand someone over your life savings without verifying whether or not the investment is real or not?  I mean, I know there are clever con men out there, but let's not let these people off the hook.  It's getting a little too easy to swindle people these days.

i want to fucking see a jcvd wwii movie, now

LA RESISTANCE LIVES ON splits Phone Post 3.0

This past week on cbs morning with Charlie rose and Norah O'Donnell, they did a couple of good pieces on scumbags like this.... Phone Post 3.0

Do these producers use paypal? Sounds like a great movie! Phone Post 3.0

Texas Oil Trash - I wonder what the plot of the movie was...Blood sport mixed with Saving private Ryan.????? Lol Phone Post 3.0
Even if it was real, anyone throwing their life savings into a Van Damme movie is optimistic to say the least. Phone Post 3.0

There was some 26 yo that lived close to me that got about the same amount doing the same thing a few years ago. I think he said he was producing an Adam Sandler movie. Got busted and had all his property confiscated.