Congressman John Lewis Dead at 80

Disagreed with a lot of his positions but admired his steadfast commitment to his beliefs.

1 Like

48 Years Ago, He Attacked Future Rep. John Lewis; Now the Two Hug

1 Like

robbie380 - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

All the networks are going to pound this into the ground all week til we're all nauseated.

It is objectively a major, major loss for American history.

He was the last remaining of the "Big Six" (Martin Luther King Jr., James Farmer, John Lewis, A. Philip Randolph, Roy Wilkins, Whitney Young) from the Civil Rights movement.

Those the ones that Malcolm X said that sold out the black movement

Everyone should be happy that the non-violent civil rights movement was the ascendant political movement amongst blacks.

It's not difficult to imagine an alternative history where resistance against jim crow took a much more violent form. There were more than a few white people in positions of power in the south who died peacefully in their bed who deserved a different fate.

banco -
robbie380 - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

All the networks are going to pound this into the ground all week til we're all nauseated.

He was the last remaining of the "Big Six" (Martin Luther King Jr., James Farmer, John Lewis, A. Philip Randolph, Roy Wilkins, Whitney Young) from the Civil Rights movement.

Everyone should be happy that the non-violent civil rights movement was the ascendant political movement amongst blacks.

It's not difficult to imagine an alternative history where resistance against jim crow took a much more violent form. There were more than a few white people in positions of power in the south who died peacefully in their bed who deserved a different fate.

Give me a fucking break.   The worst thing possible is judging someone from the distant past by today's morals and standards..     God youre a fucking pos

4 Likes

Adrian Street -
banco -
robbie380 - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

Give me a fucking break.   The worst thing possible is judging someone from the distant past by today's morals and standards..     God youre a fucking pos

Those poor misunderstood segregationists with their police dogs and billy clubs.

3 Likes

Adrian Street -
banco -
robbie380 - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

The existence of the Civil Rights Movement implies that people in power when your dad (grandpa?) was a kid were not ethical automatons who did not know any better. Plenty of other people saw violent white supremacy as a bad thing.

1 Like

RIP

I do believe this is a situation where those of us on the right should be respectful. It doesn't matter what you think about the man's politics but he did help end a terrible era. He showed a lot of courage as a young man. It should be acknowledged from the right. Sometimes you need to be the one to reach across the isle or nothing will get better for anyone.

1 Like

"he did help end a terrible era."

Those are the politics they are mad about.

1 Like

RdotC - 
VTCO - 
Smilin like Rashad -

Yet the OG response is....

Well...

You see it.

For fucks sake, do you have an off button? Do you ever just for a moment stop seeking attention? Ok RdotC your obviously going to turn this into a "The OG is racist because others aren't mourning the exact way I want them too" so you can make this all about you and your crusade to end racism on the OG and for everyone to think how you want them too.

3 Likes

banco - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

The og has mixed views on the civil rights movement 

The OG does? Or the leftists like you do who want to re-write history? I know plenty of Oger's who passed 4th grade social studies, I just don't understand why a select few here who tout education, didn't.

It was Democrats who were against the civil rights movement plain and simple. The same political party that you defend over and over again as the "anti racists" of the world were the ones pushing for segregation, lunch counter bans and Jim Crow laws.

2 Likes

anthonyMI - 

And?

David@accu -
banco - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

The OG does? Or the leftists like you do who want to re-write history? I know plenty of Oger's who passed 4th grade social studies, I just don't understand why a select few here who tout education, didn't.

It was Democrats who were against the civil rights movement plain and simple. The same political party that you defend over and over again as the "anti racists" of the world were the ones pushing for segregation, lunch counter bans and Jim Crow laws.

It was the righr who was against civil rights. For historical reasons white southerners voted for the democrats. As the democrats moved further to the left they mostly lost the south. 

David@accu -
banco - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

The 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed by a Democrat president after being championed by another Democratic president and the vote in the legislature broke down geographically, not by party.

In Illinois we were just told if we leave the state we have to quarantine for 14 days when we return, I wonder if any of our politicians travel to this funeral if they will follow that order when they return??

anthonyMI -

Not at all.

It’s that he abandoned the moral and righteous endeavor of equal rights for race hustling and lies. As he used his fame to help whip up racial tensions. It’s once he had his position of power he abandoned the black community to support failed policy after failed policy that left black communities in squalor, violence, and dependent on a new master of the government.

3 Likes

banco -
David@accu -
banco - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

It was the righr who was against civil rights. For historical reasons white southerners voted for the democrats. As the democrats moved further to the left they mostly lost the south. 

LOL! Democrats wer always to the Left. The economic situations for the South changed, and as things progressed, as integration took place. The South became less racially divided and moved to the Right. If today teaches us anything it’s that Democrats are still extremely racist. They now support racist groups like BLM. They make excuses and often engage in anti-Semitic tropes that, guess what, the current KKK does.

In truth, the South has moved away from racism, the Democrat Party has not.

2 Likes

Rip

can't imagine the lunatic that is going to fill his spot.

1 Like

banco -
Adrian Street -
banco -
robbie380 - 
VTCO -
Smilin like Rashad -

Those poor misunderstood segregationists with their police dogs and billy clubs.

That Biden loved and admired.

2 Likes

benwah - 

In Illinois we were just told if we leave the state we have to quarantine for 14 days when we return, I wonder if any of our politicians travel to this funeral if they will follow that order when they return??

Excellent point. Can't wait to see if Lori of the fat man JB go.