Conor accepts Dustin fight, to donate 500k 2 GFF..

sureshock -

This begs the question...why didn't Mcgregor challenge Tony ? It would inch him closer to a title shot rather than fighting Dustin...

Khabib literally said that the man that beats Dustin Porier will be worthy of fighting him after Gaethje. This is the closest he can possibly get to that title shot at the moment. 

scrapdo -
sureshock -

This begs the question...why didn't Mcgregor challenge Tony ? It would inch him closer to a title shot rather than fighting Dustin...

Because he knows Dustin is an easier fight than Tony and he’ll be gifted a title shot either way. 

Good point considering his star power. 

Good to see Conor back but given how infrequent his appearances are becoming I’d rather it had been against Tony. The rematch with Dustin has no obvious narrative supporting it. That’s nothing against Dustin it’s just the rematch isn’t that compelling. 

That said, if a charity benefits, and it appears they will then I’ll just enjoy it for what it is. 

Another fight I’d love to see just becaus of the madness it would bring is Conor vs Nick Diaz! :D

JThomasufc91 -
sureshock -

How? Tony just got destroyed. Not beat. Utterly destroyed by Justin. 

Tony is solid #3 in the world. Dustin is not. 

Tony BJJ -
sureshock -

Khabib literally said that the man that beats Dustin Porier will be worthy of fighting him after Gaethje. This is the closest he can possibly get to that title shot at the moment. 

But Conor already beat him. Strange that Khabib would say that. 

sureshock -
JThomasufc91 -
sureshock -

Dustin is ranked #2... Tony is ranked #3, so technically your correct

2 Likes

The 500k Conor is donating is prob more than Dustins purse ( pre PPV).  Thats not a knock at Dustin. 

It's a great fight, two handsome men 

KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
Ministry of Truth - I'm not very interested in this fight for a few reasons:

For one, it’s a rematch where Conor destroyed him in less than two minutes. Rematches like this should never happen unless there’s controversy from the first fight or it’s merit-based and specifically for the title.

Second, although Dustin has certainly improved, just two fights ago against Khabib he showed he still can break easily when things aren’t going his way, which is exactly what Conor did to him when they fought. I know many of us would love to see Dustin get revenge, but it just doesn’t seem like a realistic outcome.

Other than the charity angle, it’s just not a compelling matchup at this time.

There was a ton of controversy after the fight about Conor knocking Dustin out with back of the head shots. There was definitely some controversy there, but nobody cared at the time because everyone was all over Connors nuts.

If there was controversy after the fight, it certainly didn’t impress on me.

What I recall was Dustin went down from a clean punch on the feet, and follow ups on the back of the head or not, he was done.

2 Likes
ironbelly -

Dustin likely wins in the 3rd. his awkward shoulder roll boxing he's developed since the first match should frustrate McG into a solid counter. or not? 

Doesn't work against southpaws.

Lights Out Lurker - 

Why would Conor fight Tony when he just got destroyed by Justin? Dustin recently fought for a title, lost, then has come back and won since then. Tony needs a big win before he gets to even mutter Conor's name.  After seeing what Justin did to Tony, I'm 100% certain that Conor puts Tony away in the first round .... With EASE.

For any of you arguing that Conor took the easier fight....go ahead and tell Dustin that he's the "gimme" fight at Lightweight lolololol idiots. At the top of that weight the easiest fight is Tony for Conor. Tony makes his career on coming back after almost getting finished.... Conor puts people to sleep, he doesn't let them recover.

No matter who Conor fights it's the "easy fight". But then if he loses then he got exposed or wherever else you idiots say. There's literally not a better fighter available at Lightweight besides Dustin..... So give Conor props for taking a lose/lose fight.

The only think not easy about Conor fighting Dustin again is trying to best the fact he finished Dustin in less than two minutes.

Full first  fight replay has been posted by BT Sport today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iRvFn8wjJk

Ministry of Truth -
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 
Ministry of Truth - I'm not very interested in this fight for a few reasons:

For one, it’s a rematch where Conor destroyed him in less than two minutes. Rematches like this should never happen unless there’s controversy from the first fight or it’s merit-based and specifically for the title.

Second, although Dustin has certainly improved, just two fights ago against Khabib he showed he still can break easily when things aren’t going his way, which is exactly what Conor did to him when they fought. I know many of us would love to see Dustin get revenge, but it just doesn’t seem like a realistic outcome.

Other than the charity angle, it’s just not a compelling matchup at this time.

There was a ton of controversy after the fight about Conor knocking Dustin out with back of the head shots. There was definitely some controversy there, but nobody cared at the time because everyone was all over Connors nuts.

If there was controversy after the fight, it certainly didn’t impress on me.

What I recall was Dustin went down from a clean punch on the feet, and follow ups on the back of the head or not, he was done.

There wasn’t any controversy. Dustin didn’t make any fuss that’s for sure. 

Bofbro -

Porier at 55 wins imo

Porier cant win at any weight

Bankable -
sureshock -
JThomasufc91 -
sureshock -

Gaethie is #2. Are we playing mental gymnastics here?

sureshock - 
Bankable -
sureshock -
JThomasufc91 -
sureshock -

Gaethie is #2. Are we playing mental gymnastics here?

Ufc lists champion then number #1 contender and so forth.

![](upload://voztkf69LkowQJxjwNn5lgJJk7m.png)

scrapdo - 
sureshock -

Because he knows Dustin is an easier fight than Tony and he’ll be gifted a title shot either way. 

FWIW I believe the biggest reason Conor chose Dustin for his next fight was because, when Conor was squabbling with the UFC over money and he made a power play for an exhibition fight, he knew he could get the backing of Dustin. Poirier himself was fighting with the UFC over money. So after the ordeal, after UFC relents, of course they make this fight. Makes sense for all parties involved.

But I believed it all stemmed from that. Conor needed a worthy partner who would embarrass him in the negotiations

Colby Covid19ington -
scrapdo - 
sureshock -

FWIW I believe the biggest reason Conor chose Dustin for his next fight was because, when Conor was squabbling with the UFC over money and he made a power play for an exhibition fight, he knew he could get the backing of Dustin. Poirier himself was fighting with the UFC over money. So after the ordeal, after UFC relents, of course they make this fight. Makes sense for all parties involved.

But I believed it all stemmed from that. Conor needed a worthy partner who would embarrass him in the negotiations

Plus if he beats Dustin, he will be next in line for whoever has the belt. 

Conor is always switched on to what other fighters are doing as well, and im sure he watches closely what Dustin has been achieving with his foundation. Conor act's like a tool, but behind the scenes he does a lot for Irish communities.   

da Vinci 81 -

I hope it goes through but I don’t see this happening. Conor is making Dana eat his words since he came out and said conor will not fight this year so this is his way of putting him on the hot seat. Conor obviously wants to fight but I don’t think the ufc wants him in their this year and the biggest reason is no live gate revenue. 

You nailed it. 

This is gamesmanship - and it’s Conor vs Dana. 

The “it must happen in 2020” is putting Dana in check for saying Conor would absolutely NOT fight in 2020. 

As you’ve stated, the only losers in this fight scenario are Dana and his UFC co-owners. They reap no gate from a McGregor card and lose literally millions while still having to pay Conor 2 million to show plus pay per view. Win/win for Conor, lose/lose for the company.