Conor McGregor Before He got Famous & Arrogant

brockrefnar -

You can understand that the dude is more or less playing a character right?

Its kinda like Andrew Dice Clay he started off as a normal dude. then he came up with this insanely popular character than changed his life for ever.

THEN the real guy who invented that character began turning into that character in real life and before you know it andrew silversteen basically IS Andrew Dice Clay in real life

Thats exactly what happened to Conor. His over the top persona started off as an act. Then it became such a huge deal in his life that he actually morphed into it and now he IS that guy.

Its a weird thing that happens to extremely famous people sometimes. But get Conor behind closed door with no cameras and i bet you good money he is a relatively down to earth super nice guy with a great head on his shoulders.

Could be wrong mind you.

He's a living legend.

watahhh - 
brockrefnar -

Its kinda like Andrew Dice Clay he started off as a normal dude. then he came up with this insanely popular character than changed his life for ever.

THEN the real guy who invented that character began turning into that character in real life and before you know it andrew silversteen basically IS Andrew Dice Clay in real life

Thats exactly what happened to Conor. His over the top persona started off as an act. Then it became such a huge deal in his life that he actually morphed into it and now he IS that guy.

Its a weird thing that happens to extremely famous people sometimes. But get Conor behind closed door with no cameras and i bet you good money he is a relatively down to earth super nice guy with a great head on his shoulders.

Could be wrong mind you.

Sounds pretty spot on. His view on fighting was the most refreshing thing in a long time in terms of adapting, fighting anyone, learning from every corner of combat and movement, etc. But then I believe we got to see that the Conor that sells fights became the real Conor once he won the 155 title (even leading up to that). He had an obvious bone to pick with the UFC and bought hard into all his hype and just came off as a dick post fight between the octagon appearance and post-fight conference, nothing like after he beat Aldo when you couldnt help but be happy for him.

All that said I guess its easier said than done to stay humble. Everyone says they wouldnt change given massive success, but im sure its not that easy.

RenzoStudent2004 - 
watahhh - 
brockrefnar -

Could be wrong mind you.

Sounds pretty spot on. His view on fighting was the most refreshing thing in a long time in terms of adapting, fighting anyone, learning from every corner of combat and movement, etc. But then I believe we got to see that the Conor that sells fights became the real Conor once he won the 155 title (even leading up to that). He had an obvious bone to pick with the UFC and bought hard into all his hype and just came off as a dick post fight between the octagon appearance and post-fight conference, nothing like after he beat Aldo when you couldnt help but be happy for him.

All that said I guess its easier said than done to stay humble. Everyone says they wouldnt change given massive success, but im sure its not that easy.

Conor makes money from being the brash, arrogant character. He's cutting promos every time he opens his mouth. If he were the respectful, stoic martial artist-type, he'd be just another guy in a long line of respectful, stoic martial artists.

And now that he is ultra-famous, he can't go back to the old Conor without it looking like a charade, so he needs to keep up appearances.

Liyon -
RenzoStudent2004 - 
watahhh - 
brockrefnar -

Could be wrong mind you.

Conor makes money from being the brash, arrogant character. He's cutting promos every time he opens his mouth. If he were the respectful, stoic martial artist-type, he'd be just another guy in a long line of respectful, stoic martial artists.

And now that he is ultra-famous, he can't go back to the old Conor without it looking like a charade, so he needs to keep up appearances.

exactly but I would also argue that its actually a little more organic than that and the power that this "character" or persona has given him is so intoxicating and fun to play around in that he really is naturally just changing into this guy now on somewhat of a subconcious level.

A good buddy if mine has trained with Connor fairly recent. He is totally different when the cameras are not around. That being said he is a savage and works very hard. 

Wrestling is the best base -

A good buddy if mine has trained with Connor fairly recent. He is totally different when the cameras are not around. That being said he is a savage and works very hard. 

I've trained with some of Conor's partners and they say training with Gunnar Nelson is super easy and lighthearted but training with Conor feels just short of it being in a legit fight.

I could be making this up but I'm not.

watahhh -
brockrefnar -

Could be wrong mind you.

So is he playing a character or not? 

You start off saying he's playing a character, then you say he's morphed into the character and now he IS that guy, then you say if you get him behind closed doors he's the same old Conor. 

Which is it?

Technical Primates -
watahhh -
brockrefnar -

Could be wrong mind you.

You start off saying he's playing a character, then you say he's morphed into the character and now he IS that guy, then you say if you get him behind closed doors he's the same old Conor. 

Which is it?

doesn't make any sense

He's more like The Rock than Andrew Dice Clay. The Rock is an overblown version of the real Duane Johnson. It's an extension of his real personality, just amplified. 

From what I've heard, Conor is Conor all the time, but he amps it up for the cameras. He's genuinely that guy, but toned down a bit in real life. 

Technical Primates -
watahhh -
brockrefnar -

Could be wrong mind you.

Which is it?

BOTH!!!

Bobby Lupo - 

He's more like The Rock than Andrew Dice Clay. The Rock is an overblown version of the real Duane Johnson. It's an extension of his real personality, just amplified. 

From what I've heard, Conor is Conor all the time, but he amps it up for the cameras. He's genuinely that guy, but toned down a bit in real life. 

Behind closed doors - Who the fuck is that?

In front of the cameras - WHO DA FUUUK ES DAT?!?!?!?

I've no problem with Conor's new attitude as that's what sells fights, I only ever want him to lose because of his fans.

I don't find his act amusing in the slightest, it's catered for the WWE crossover fans and it's worked a treat. The fact he can charge on PPV for a interview is obsurd how much is playing all his fans 

SkinnyJeanGenie -

I've no problem with Conor's new attitude as that's what sells fights, I only ever want him to lose because of his fans.

I don't find his act amusing in the slightest, it's catered for the WWE crossover fans and it's worked a treat. The fact he can charge on PPV for a interview is obsurd how much is playing all his fans 

It's weird for a fighter's fans to bother someone like that. Why does a person's interests effect you to the point of hoping that their interests fail? I never gotten that sentiment. I'm not the biggest Diaz bros fan and some of their fans are ridiculously annoying, but I've never hoped they'd lose because someone mouthbreather online said some dumb shit.

In

RIGHONFIRE -
SkinnyJeanGenie -

It's weird for a fighter's fans to bother someone like that. Why does a person's interests effect you to the point of hoping that their interests fail? I never gotten that sentiment. I'm not the biggest Diaz bros fan and some of their fans are ridiculously annoying, but I've never hoped they'd lose because someone mouthbreather online said some dumb shit.

Yeah sorry, I can't just can't bare Conor fans, at least the newfound ones that have no idea what they are talking about.

I accept Conor is great for the sport, but the same as a lot of things it brings a lot of idiots to the party.

The new UFC is represented by Conor.   And the new UG is represented by his fans.  

And its completely lame.  I watch fewer fights, pay for very few PPV's and spend little time here.  

I train just as much as I did a decade ago but I care little for the era of "selling fights".   Popularized by loudmouths like Chael and perfected by Conor.  

Fuck it.  If you like all this, you will likely be gone in a few years and you never set foot on the mat.