Conor McGregor versus Robbie Lawler… Who wins?

Conor has talked in the past about becoming a 3-division UFC champion, and there is no way he's making 135 so that means he will become the UFC Champion in the featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight divisions.

Conor also said he was willing to take a lightweight or even welterweight fight for this card if Aldo pulled out.

So, Conor clearly has his eyes set on the next 2 higher divisions.

That said, who would win in a fight between Conor McGregor and Robbie Lawler? I think Conor could keep Lawler at distance with his strikes. And with his circling and footwork, I think he could make short work of Lawler. But, Robbie is tough so I think he would last to the 3rd or 4th round before his body just gave up. He's got so much heart, but Conor would decimate his body with strikes.

What say you, UG?

Without thinking about it too much...Lawler wins 100/100. Phone Post 3.0

Powdered Toast Man - Without thinking about it too much...Lawler wins 100/100. Phone Post 3.0

Try and analyze it a little more, ay?

Dude lawler ends his career - ends of story Phone Post 3.0

He should skip WW and challenge the Rockhold/Weiddman winner. Phone Post 3.0

I guess some people will continue to doubt him until he just goes out there and dooes it.

That's fine!

Lawler would fuck him raw Phone Post 3.0

Weight classes are a myth anyway. You're an idiot if you think these guys actually weigh in at different weights.
Cutting weight is the biggest industry inside joke in all of mma. The ufc has fabricated weight cutting so they can have 10 different belts. Without all these fake weight classes they could only promote a title fight twice a year.
In fact men and women are also not real. People aren't real. Phone Post 3.0

Conor would get chicken fucked. Phone Post 3.0

UncleChael - Conor has talked in the past about becoming a 3-division UFC champion, and there is no way he's making 135 so that means he will become the UFC Champion in the featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight divisions.

Conor also said he was willing to take a lightweight or even welterweight fight for this card if Aldo pulled out.

So, Conor clearly has his eyes set on the next 2 higher divisions.

That said, who would win in a fight between Conor McGregor and Robbie Lawler? I think Conor could keep Lawler at distance with his strikes. And with his circling and footwork, I think he could make short work of Lawler. But, Robbie is tough so I think he would last to the 3rd or 4th round before his body just gave up. He's got so much heart, but Conor would decimate his body with strikes.

What say you, UG?

Robbie slaps the Lucky Charms out of him and sends him back down to LW.

I don't like Conor and don't see him becoming a 3 division champ. But I did see a picture of him standing next to GSP and they looked the same size. I know pictures don't really mean a lot but it doesn't seem far fetched. Phone Post 3.0

How does this thread keep popping up? Robbie would spike his head into the nosebleed section Phone Post 3.0

If Conor can't address Robbie coming forward with aggression he gets walked down and stopped. If he can rock or otherwise stun Lawler then he could work a decision. I don't think he can unhinge a forward moving Lawler from his aggression. Robbie by late 1st round stoppage. Phone Post 3.0

btfos - Good post OP. Sadly a lot of UG members really dont know shit about MMA and or about combat sports in general, and are obsessed/fixated with weight. Skills pay the bills bottom line

- Manny a natural 130lb boxer won belts as high up as 154 against GIANTS like Margarito (who Floyd ducked back in the day btw)

- Frankie Edgar THE FORMER LIGHT WEIGHT champion LOST to featherweight Aldo

-Guida who had wins over Dos Anjos and Pettis at 155 has been a WASH OUT at featherweight

-AJ who fought for the title at 205 WAS A WASH OUT at 170

- Benson went up and HAD SUCCESS AT 170. Won via grappling/BJJ

I can keep posting more examples of weight not mattering/of fighters who had success at higher weights yet sucking at lower weights against smaller fighters etc. Its not always a black and white case of "derp size>everything"...

People really think that someone as smart, slick, and skilled as Conor couldnt have success at 155/170 against opponents who ON TOP of being less skilled would be much slower too? Get real. Plus not to mention Conor not cutting weight would be far healthier/stronger/faster etc. Lots of peope here dont know shit. I guarantee you Connor could contend for the belt at 155 and could out point a shitload of guys at 170.

I absolutely believe that Connor could out point Robbie using angles, walking him into his lefts, setting traps etc...Conor would just need to watch out for the big shot. If Rory lands that one shot then he KOs Conor...but other wise, Conor has the skills to out point Robbie 9 out of 10 times in a pure striking contest
Good post. I can't think of any examples though of fighters that were title contenders at one weight and then were title contenders two weight divisions up later in their career. I'm old though so I am probably just forgetting the examples. Phone Post 3.0

First off, Conor's biggest advantage at 145 is his height and reach.

Lawler's two inches taller, and they have the same reach.

Plus, Lawler's probably around 20 lbs heavier than Conor, and has more power.

Lawler wins by tko. Phone Post 3.0

btfos -
Samoa - If Conor can't address Robbie coming forward with aggression he gets walked down and stopped. If he can rock or otherwise stun Lawler then he could work a decision. I don't think he can unhinge a forward moving Lawler from his aggression. Robbie by late 1st round stoppage. Phone Post 3.0

That's the thing. Robbie pressing forward plays right into Connors counter game perfectly. Along the line Conor's opponents wisened up and stopped pressing Conor, so Conor evolved to keep up. Conor became great at leading and also developed into an agressive offensive counter puncher who CRRATES openings, sets traps and creates/makes his countering oppurtunities...but when someone tries to walk Conor down thats giving Conor the counters on a silver platter. Thats Conor's baseline DNA. The counter. And it will always be there. When an opponent doesnt press, Conor now finds ways to trick/set up/create openings, but pressing forward against Conor makes things so much easier. Robbie IS the BEST MATCH up for Conor at 170. Conor will walk Robbie into his lefts all night and snipe Robbie coming in with lefts too. Conor absolutely has the power to make Robbie respect him. Connor just needs to watch out from that one big shot from Robbie
It's possible. We just see it happening differently. Phone Post 3.0

It isn't a matter purely of size but the individual and how they handle differences in size. But I don't see a guy going from 145 to 170 and winning the belt. Phone Post 3.0

btfos -
bmoney - First off, Conor's biggest advantage at 145 is his height and reach.

You clearly don't know fighting. Connors biggest advantage is his mind and his skill. Its Connor's IQ and skill that win him fights. Not only would that be a huge advantage for him going up in weight, he would also gain significant speed advantages against the bigger slower opponents. Plus not to mention, not cutting weight means he would come in way stronger/healthier/faster then we have ever seem before. People will be suprised. Conor legit has the skills to win belts in 3 divisions...and as an MMA fan I hope Conor can do it so I can say I witness history
How would the weight be an advantage for CM over Robbie? Robbie has fought MURDERERS at way bigger weights than CM. He Kayoed Melvin friggin Manhoef. Phone Post 3.0

VinegarStrokes - It isn't a matter purely of size but the individual and how they handle differences in size. But I don't see a guy going from 145 to 170 and winning the belt. Phone Post 3.0

Well, neither do we.

We all see him winning the 145 belt first, then taking the 155 belt from RDA or whoever has it at the time (likely Pettis), and finally, taking the 170 belt from Lawler or whoever has it at the time (likely Lawler).

btfos -
Samoa - 
btfos -
bmoney - First off, Conor's biggest advantage at 145 is his height and reach.

You clearly don't know fighting. Connors biggest advantage is his mind and his skill. Its Connor's IQ and skill that win him fights. Not only would that be a huge advantage for him going up in weight, he would also gain significant speed advantages against the bigger slower opponents. Plus not to mention, not cutting weight means he would come in way stronger/healthier/faster then we have ever seem before. People will be suprised. Conor legit has the skills to win belts in 3 divisions...and as an MMA fan I hope Conor can do it so I can say I witness history
How would the weight be an advantage for CM over Robbie? Robbie has fought MURDERERS at way bigger weights than CM. He Kayoed Melvin friggin Manhoef. Phone Post 3.0

Where did i say weight would be an advanatge for Conor lol. Weight/strength would be Robbies advantage obviously. Like duh we all know that haha.....Im saying, Robbie being the bigger guy would be the slower guy and that Conor on top of already having a significant speed adavantage would be even faster for not having to cut weight/and would be stronger then HE was at 145 etc. Not that he would gain the strength advantage just that he would BE STRONGEER then he was at 145. Conor would have the skill/speed/IQ advantage over Robbie
I misunderstood "Not only would that be a huge advantage for him going up in weight," Phone Post 3.0