Conor v Cerrone is a mistake

This fight is happening at 170. And Dana denied it so it’s def going down. Isn’t it funny how upset Dana gets when he doesn’t get to tell everyone big news in press conferences. Then he stands up there like a big doofus trying to seem important. 

McGregor is just in that tough position where there are not really any fights that you would call easy Cowboy, Diaz, Ferguson even Porier.

Does fighting Khabib again even make sense 155 is just a mess a 165 belt might at least clear the backlog.

Seats Taken -

Cowboy is the easiest fight with the biggest name for Conor... as far as losing to a journeyman, he lost to Nate Diaz lol it’s already happened. 

Conor just wants $$$ he doesn’t REALLY care about getting a belt back. Cowboy just wants to fight and make $$$ too at the end of the day. It’s a great fight. Current conor doesn’t beat the top guys so Cowboy is probably the BEST fight they could make 

Wrong. Nate Diaz may never be champ for a lot of reasons not excluding theres a proven blueprint to victory out there for pretty much any decent strength grappler who can throw leg kicks with decent force. The difference between Nate Diaz and Cerrone is Nate Diaz isn't just levels more exciting of a fighter than Cowboy, hes literally in the top 3 most exciting fighters of all time along with his bro and McGregor. He could fight his shadow on ppv and people would watch if it was promoted right. The McGregor Diaz trilogy will inevitably be completed no matter what and its because of the energy Nate brings.

I know the ug loves Cerrone because the dude is legit. He fights whoever and that's more than you can say about most fighters. My issue with him is he used to be this coldblooded killer who came for your soul, until he met Diaz. He was so shook even in the leadup to the fight. I was a fan of both Cerrone and Diaz up to that point and I couldn't understand why Diaz was disgusted with Cerrone at the time but I do now. If Cerrone is up against someone he knows isn't afraid of him he tries to buddy up, shake hands frequently, do the whole "hey lets get a beer after we fight" schtik. He tries to mentally soften up his opponent and its weird. When they're like nah fuck that, he gets shook and it fucks up his flow. Its just weird to me. I see that now after the way the Diaz fight played out and I can't unsee it. He has legit skill which makes him very dangerous but he cant talk shit to save his life so he can't hype the fight properly and he brings weird energy.

Can Conor hype the fight all by himself? Sure he can. He did it with Dos Anjos and Khabib. The problem is in both those scenarios there was gold on the line and it fit the narrative to fight them in his quest to be champ and take on whatever challenges presented themselves in that regard. It didn't matter that those guys cant hype fights. Even fighting a top 5 fighter right now would fulfill that requirement for Conor. Donald Cerrone is barely in the top 10 and he has many ways to beat Conor. Its really a bad idea. 

Basically what I'm saying is if Conor fights any of the top fighters (Furgeson, Iaquinta, Lee, Barbosa, ect.) that make sense for him to "earn" another title shot, even if he loses, fans understand 155 is a murderers row at the top and he wont be judged as harshly for losing his 3rd fight in a row. He will live to fight another day. Also the energy that will build from Conor trying to get back to the belt and fighting legit opponents would easily get ppv numbers similar to his previous fights. Even if Conor got smashed in devastating fashion within the first minute and decided never to fight again, the potential money made from another hype Conor fight would be worth it. The reality is Conor could just as easily lose to Cerrone the only difference is there will be less interest in the buildup, not as big of a payoff financially and in the event he wins does anyone really believe he earned a shot at the belt? If he loses hes a joke. Its just the wrong time for a Cerrone fight. I'd save it for after he fights Diaz down the line, maybe in Bellator even.

JitznPound - 

The only thing conor has against cowboy is the mental game, we seen how cowboy crumbled after the shit talk from nate.

Dad cowboy seems very different and I think he beats conor everywhere..

Ageed that this is a bad match up for the poster boy. 

If he loses this he only has the Diaz remat h left. 

Cowboy choked once against a top-5 LW like a decade ago? Yeah Conor is a lock.