Conor's Techniques to Watch For vs Jose

I realize this forum (and most of the MMA community) is overrun with good folks who want to see the brash Irishman get his comeuppance. So forgive me for indulging myself and the few other McG nut-Tarzans with a few techs that I think he'll find success with against champ Jose.

So we all know that Conor will try to utilize pressure and the str8 left from hell to chin to define this fight. However I think he has several other secondary weapons that he'll use to dictate distance/pace/tone and potentially even end it...

1. Oblique kick - from Jon Jones to Holy Holm (pun intended) to Jose's left thigh. Look for Conor to throw these knee benders early and often to keep Jose at safe but striking distance.

2. Front leg side kick and back leg body teep. Sage and Wonderboy will smile as Conor uses TKD to control range and dig into Jose's bread basket.

3. Str8 left hand and back leg round kick to the body. Jose tends to leave his midsection open with a high and tight striking guard. This is a particular point of weakness against an opposite stance opponent, which Florian only slightly (but effectively) targeted.

4. Spinning back left kick to head. This move will keep Jose from circling left to avoid Conor's left hand. If it lands, it can be devastating (see Brandao fight), or even fight ending. This same technique to the body can be equally effective, especially if Aldo starts ducking under the head kick version.

5. Bolo right uppercut to str8 left combo. This is a bread and butter move that Conor uses to close distance. It's better suited against other southpaws, but he uses it against pretty much everyone.

6. Inside kick checks. Aldo's other southpaw opponents - Florian, Brookins - seemed to forget how to check kicks. But all it takes is one solid check to completely change this fight, and given Conor's fight IQ, I suspect we'll see inside checks early and often.

IMHO Aldo can win this fight but he must use takedowns and BJJ. If he lets ego compel him to stand and trade with the longer, younger, stronger and more dynamic McGregor, the champ's odds of winning go way down.

Can't wait for this weekend. May the best man win.

Cheers, UG.

The old Tongue On The Cheek Technique Phone Post 3.0

Or the old
YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT!!! Technique Phone Post 3.0

"6. Inside kick checks. Aldo's other southpaw opponents - Florian, Brookins - seemed to forget how to check kicks. But all it takes is one solid check to completely change this fight, and given Conor's fight IQ, I suspect we'll see inside checks early and often."

You really think Florian "forgot" how to check a leg kick? Considering how sharp his MT game had become training with Dellagrotte? Or do do you think its possible that it had something to do with the fact that Aldo almost never throws just a leg kick, he does it after a punch combo

Conors wide stance makes it even harder to check kicks.

This whole "knee destruction" from a southpaw has been blown out of proportion, southpaws get their legs kicked easily in MT/kickboxing

Conor has a reach advantage and he will do his best to pressure Aldo against the cage to box him up, but it only takes a few hard inside leg kicks to take away the spring in his legs at wich point Aldo will start chopping him down

Also, watch out for his new move. He walks on the top rail of the octagon for an entire round to showcase his movement.

GSPsShadyHandWraps - "6. Inside kick checks. Aldo's other southpaw opponents - Florian, Brookins - seemed to forget how to check kicks. But all it takes is one solid check to completely change this fight, and given Conor's fight IQ, I suspect we'll see inside checks early and often."

You really think Florian "forgot" how to check a leg kick? Considering how sharp his MT game had become training with Dellagrotte? Or do do you think its possible that it had something to do with the fact that Aldo almost never throws just a leg kick, he does it after a punch combo

This whole "knee destruction" from a southpaw has been blown out of proportion, southpaws get their legs kicked easily in MT/kickboxing

Conor has a reach advantage and he will do his best to pressure Aldo against the cage to box him up, but it only takes a few hard inside leg kicks to take away the spring in his legs at wich point Aldo will start chopping him down

Know what else has been blown out of proportion by the UG?

Aldo's devastating leg kicks.

Amazingly enough, everyone who has fought Aldo recently has seemingly found a way to survive them despite being hit with a couple.

It's a great technique of his, one of his best tools but it's being overstated in how often he ends fights with them. Phone Post 3.0

SurgicalGloves - 
GSPsShadyHandWraps - "6. Inside kick checks. Aldo's other southpaw opponents - Florian, Brookins - seemed to forget how to check kicks. But all it takes is one solid check to completely change this fight, and given Conor's fight IQ, I suspect we'll see inside checks early and often."

Amazingly enough, everyone who has fought Aldo recently has seemingly found a way to survive them despite being hit with a couple.

It's a great technique of his, one of his best tools but it's being overstated in how often he ends fights with them. Phone Post 3.0

He doesn't need to end the fight with his leg kicks to win. Conor is obsessed with movement. When Aldo softens up that leg and takes that movement away, that's a total mind fuck for Conor.

Then Conor starts taking risks, not getting out of the pocket fast enough, slowing his rhythm so he can recover his leg strength..... those results of the leg kicks are the beginning of the end.

But we'll see what happens.

The thing about Aldo's leg kicks is that they are in everyone's head. it gives him an advantage even when he doesn't use it I think. Watching the video of his past opponents on how even one kick changed the fight for them, and those that ate several took months to get feeling back. Those stories can't help but make an opponent wary, imagine not preparing for devastating kicks? how foolish would that be?

I don't know who will win this fight or how, but I guarantee that dealing with and avoiding Aldo's kicks have occupied a ton of Connor's training camp...so maybe Aldo uses a different approach to win.

They're a factor no matter how you spin it.

Leg kicking the open stance like that is great and all that, but if Aldo doesn't move out of the way in time - or he can't get out the way after at all. It is likely to begin to turn against him (depending on Conor's reactions to it) He better bring Tom Cruise with him because he's going to be flying straight in to the left hand danger zone.

SurgicalGloves -

It isn't just the UG that are impressed with those kicks.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

If Conor can't negate those kicks, it's going to be a painful night for him. Phone Post 3.0

@GSPsShadyHandWraps -

"You really think Florian "forgot" how to check a leg kick? Considering how sharp his MT game had become training with Dellagrotte? Or do do you think its possible that it had something to do with the fact that Aldo almost never throws just a leg kick, he does it after a punch combo"

Aldo threw zero leg kicks until midway through rd 2 against Florian. He threw four hard single-strike leg kicks in rd 2. He then threw just one leg kick in rd 3 to start, not end a combo. In rd 4 Aldo threw a single leg kick early, which was finally checked. Threw another one later, also checked. In rd 5 Aldo didn't throw any leg kicks.

My wording about Kenny forgetting "how" to check a kick was poor. I should not have included the word "how" in that sentence. Just that he forgot to check the kicks until rd 4. At that point the kicks stopped. Not one Aldo leg kick came at the end of a combo at any point in that fight.

All that said, I think the reason for the limited leg kick volume had as much to do with avoiding Kenny's takedown attempts as anything else. Jose won't have to worry about that against Conor.

OP-What are your thoughts on Jose's speed/quickness advantage?

Do you think Conor has faced someone with the quickness Jose has with Jose's jabs and leg kicks?

side check kicks will decide this fight

^^^I do think Jose is quicker/faster, but I am a believer that timing beats speed and I think Conor's timing is the best in business. Add to that the diversity of his attacks and this fight is as much a test for King Aldo as it is for Prince Conor (relative to prior opponents).

I think Chad is as quick as Aldo, but with a significantly shorter reach.

Chad: 66"
Jose: 70"
Conor: 74" (monkey arms)

Aldo has solid timing as well. What I do like about Conor is his distance control for his own striking, he seems to connect at the very end of his strike from kicks to punches he really utilizes his reach.

I could see Aldo having success in a phone booth type fight but then again why do that with a bigger fighter though.

If he makes it a ground war where he should have a massive advantage I think he can get a finish

Here's an article with analysis and GIFs of additional Conor techniques to watch for, starting with:

Feints,
Hand Fighting

https://strikingthoughtssite.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/conor-mcgregor-style-breakdown-part-1/

I think they both have very effective but very different striking.

I see both men having success and landing however i see conor winning simply because he hits harder. I think its as simple as conor eating the shots but aldo will not be able to

Pulling for aldo though Phone Post 3.0

That long left of Conor's though...

Everyone thinks Aldo is going to blitz him with leg kicks but I think he'll use them very sparingly, the distance Conor can cover with that left is very surprising to his opponents. Phone Post 3.0

Great thread. Solid contrition from everyone. Thanks heaps

Conor has monkey arms, 1 solid straight left counter to that kick and Jose will stop throwing them or at the very least think twice Phone Post 3.0