Consequences of America Abdicating it's Role?

In this thread we will explore the possible effects of America voluntarily ceasing to be a global power and instead becoming a regional power.

Consequences for the World
What would happen if the US withdrew it's forces from Europe, the middle east, SE Asia, and elsewhere? What would become of places like South Korea and Taiwan? Would there be more war throughout the world, or less?

Would American withdrawal from the Eurasian continent mean that Russia and China would exert greater military and economic control in the ME? Would Russia once again exert greater control in eastern Europe?

Consequences for America
What would change for Americans? Would there be an economic impact resulting from the military not protecting America's interests abroad? Would other powers turn into economic and military titans and be able to dictate terms to America?

I'd be curious to hear from any political science majors or other knowledgeable people on this.

Good thread OP. I'm pretty ignorant so ill hold my tongue on this one lol

We'd tun out of gas pretty quick Phone Post

MountainMedic - We'd tun out of gas pretty quick Phone Post
Get current on the news, fren. New techniques mean America has access to some of the most extensive energy reserves on the planet. Everything's coming up 'Murica. Fuck yeah. Phone Post 3.0

MountainMedic - 

I would be interested in hearing your logic for this. IIRC the majority of the worlds oil doesn't come from places we currently have a high troop presence in.

Thage - 
MountainMedic - 

I would be interested in hearing your logic for this. IIRC the majority of the worlds oil doesn't come from places we currently have a high troop presence in.

Forces were deployed in Saudi Arabia, which have now been shifted to Qatar, another oil-rich nation. A second matter is that the US always has a carrier battle group in the Gulf of Oman capable of projecting force throughout the region.

But we do not have a high presence correct?

I would be ok with strategic deployments, but I believe bases in the vast majority of the world other than in/around the unstable ME need to be brought home. There is no reason for us to be in Europe and many other stable areas.

Good got damn question.

I will contribute this.

If the United States became self sustainable, the job market would go up. Wages would increase. There are plenty of natural resources within our boarders.

Now, the bigger question to above is...would inflation go up? More jobs, bigger wages, do the cost of commodities go through the roof?

Defense spending should go up to secure the boarder (as we would have less influence abroad). The millions of dollars cut from the U.S. bases since the 1990's would be reinstated, and the towns that actually ceased to exist or are barely holding on by a thread would be rejuvenated.

Nations abroad, and conflicted regions that hold the United States interests would suffer at first, but the countries that rely on them and or have an interest would step up to the plate.

The United States preys off of other Countries and regions to secure their potential wealth, and resources. They do not want to tap into theirs. Why, when they could get it abroad, and not have to deal with the courts?

Overall, a stronger Nation. More money at home. A defense that is impregnable...and a corporate fascism...maybe.

For instance, did you know we have 10 air force bases in England?

The chain of events would lead to a pre-scripted armogeggon

A lot of nuclear proliferation in the Pacific.

SK, Taiwan and Japan all have the ability to become nuclear states and they all have the ability to build missiles, so they would do so, and do it before the US left.

Australia might do so as well.

MountainMedic - We'd tun out of gas pretty quick Phone Post
The first volume supplier if our oil.....is us. Our 2nd volume supplier of oil is.....Canada. How would we run out of oil again? Phone Post 3.0

"Defense spending should go up to secure the boarder (as we would have less influence abroad). The millions of dollars cut from the U.S. bases since the 1990's would be reinstated, and the towns that actually ceased to exist or are barely holding on by a thread would be rejuvenated."

-----------------------------

If we eliminated bases in 180 different countries spending would go up?

If we stopped spending 95% of the worlds military "overseas" spending our defense spending would go UP?! Phone Post 3.0

hammerhurler - How many Americans are deployed overseas? If it's a significant number, what would the economic impact be of bringing them all home?
We brought home 10 million soldiers after WWII and sparked the biggest economic boom in the history of the country.

We aren't seriously arguing that eliminating GOVERNMENT jobs is a bad thing are we? I mean if that's the case, just make MORE government jobs and solve the problem. Phone Post 3.0

If we were to suddenly stop importing oil from the me, they would erupt into chaos, couple that with a 100% troop withdrawal...

I predict Israel would launch an offensive war, lighting the fuse for ww3 Phone Post

It won't be voluntary and for all intents and purposes it's already done.  China's where it's at and it should be OK.

They won't be over there all up in your business just to be assholes.  It's not the way they work.

effinggoof - A lot of nuclear proliferation in the Pacific.

SK, Taiwan and Japan all have the ability to become nuclear states and they all have the ability to build missiles, so they would do so, and do it before the US left.

Australia might do so as well.

Speaking from an south Asian view point I don't feel a lot will change in the short term. The US wouldn't withdraw from the region for its OWN security unless china guarantees to keep nk in check. And china won't do that unless they get control if they have to take force.

A LOT of the US military is deployed for self interest people forget this. I'm sure 40% could be withdrawn though. But carriers. Air bases. Resupply etc.. can't close those because they support the ones that support home security. Etc.. Phone Post

Thage - But we do not have a high presence correct?

I would be ok with strategic deployments, but I believe bases in the vast majority of the world other than in/around the unstable ME need to be brought home. There is no reason for us to be in Europe and many other stable areas.

AFAIK the standing deployments are only meant to act as a bulwark against invasion long enough for a full deployment of American forces, whether that is in eastern Europe, the ME, or SE Asia.

Nuclear proliferation is an effect I hadn't considered, but I think that's correct.

Samoa - "Defense spending should go up to secure the boarder (as we would have less influence abroad). The millions of dollars cut from the U.S. bases since the 1990's would be reinstated, and the towns that actually ceased to exist or are barely holding on by a thread would be rejuvenated."

-----------------------------

If we eliminated bases in 180 different countries spending would go up?

If we stopped spending 95% of the worlds military "overseas" spending our defense spending would go UP?! Phone Post 3.0

I am sorry I wrote that wrong.

The United States would transfer the money back to the bases and cites that were raped.

The global elite have already shifted the US role to China as the next superpower and are in the process of dismantling the once great US of all its wealth, its natural resources, its military might, its culture, and most of all its sovergnty.