Contact info for UK viewers to complain to ESPN

If you watched UFC 101 on ESPN UK then you will no doubt have been thoroughly hacked off with the constant adverts throughout the broadcast, specifically adverts inbetween EVERY round of EVERY fight, aside from the last round or two of the main event.

I now have an everlasting loathing of Direct Line and an unspeakable hatred for the Churchill talking nodding dog.

Setanta were able to balance the need for adverts V maintaining the flow of the broadcast reasonably well and I'm sure no-one would complain if ESPN chose more appropriate times to show adverts, ie during the movie trailer, forthcoming events, sponsorship plugs etc. Seriously, if Setanta can do it I'm sure ESPN can.

Hopefully this is just a one off as they get their staff up to speed and these are just teething problems, but please contact them and let them know your disatisfaction so they can get it sorted for next time. The only reason I have ESPN is for the UFC, and if this is any indication of their future coverage, they will be losing subscribers quickly.

A couple of lines asking them to cut down on the adverts between rounds is all it needs.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/contact?lang=EN&country=united

Whilst I agree with you - I reckon they are not going to turn down the corporate advertising revenue.

I do hate it though. Nothing worse than always cutting to adverts between rounds

i noticed that aswell, they did it during FFN also.
theyre just trying to balance the books<br />they dont want to end up like setanta (ie running at a massive loss)

its quite annoying though

If I'm not incurring any pay-per-view costs I'll put up with multiple ad breaks. I don't fancy seeing another channel that carries UFC go tits up again like Setanta did.

In any case I usualy tape it the night before and watch it Sunday morning, fast forwarding through the ads.

Mothman - If I'm not incurring any pay-per-view costs I'll put up with multiple ad breaks. I don't fancy seeing another channel that carries UFC go tits up again like Setanta did.

In any case I usualy tape it the night before and watch it Sunday morning, fast forwarding through the ads.

I think agreeing to paying ridiculous amounts of money for EPL and SPL football that you couldn't justify and inevitably couldn't afford had more to with Setanta going tits up than failing to maximise marginal advertising revenue from the likes of Direct Line and Churchill at 3am on a Saturday night. Those two companies have always advertised on channels like TCM and music channels, I can guarantee ESPN wouldn't be missing out on much by not showing them ad nauseum.

Besides, Setanta had advertising, they just knew when to include it.

Also ESPN is owned by Disney, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Setanta had to support themselves.

In any case, for those people who do watch UFC events live and don't like having the fights constantly interupted, please take a couple of minutes to complain at the link as above.

this is like complaining because you have to drive a few miles to get a free tank of gas.

So they would cut to commercial in between rounds and in between fights? How does ESPN work over in the UK anyhow? I believe ESPN is free with any expanded basic cable package over in the U.S. Does Sky and Virgin broadcast ESPN in their packages or would ESPN be an additional charge?

Sounds like the commercials were a little cumbersome but hey, at least you saw it for free??

I'm with Vrgin Media and I subscribe to their top tier package so it's free for me. I think lower tier subscribers have to pay £8 a month if they have Sky Sports & £12 if they don't.

BeanTownMMA - So they would cut to commercial in between rounds and in between fights?

Yep.

ESPN here is a subscription channel, much like HD Net in the US. If you want to know how TV broadcasting works here, imagine the following:

TV licence being the basic requirement from everyone - £120 a year giving you access to five free-to-air channels

Basic satellite/cable entertainment channels approx £16 per month on top

Sports channels on top of that, ie Sky Sports (approx extra £17 per month) AND/OR ESPN (approx extra £9-12 per month)

Plus documentary channels etc if you want them at extra cost

Plus if you want any HD channels, it's an extra £10 per month on top

So therefore if you look at ESPN on it's own, in my case I pay £12 per month. I have it only for UFC currently, so if we say there is roughly one PPV event per month, = £12/$20 dollars per event. Not as much as US viewers who pay approx $40-45 per event, but the trade off is that we have to get up at 3am to watch it. Therefore it is not too much to ask that the event isn't decimated by irritating adverts during fights. 

For me the talk in the corners and between the rounds in gen are still part of the fight for me, it definately breaks up the excitement and 'experience'

ESPN's UFC coverage did suck, but at least we get 16 hours a day of Baseball coverage to make up for it....

Devlyn - ESPN's UFC coverage did suck, but at least we get 16 hours a day of Baseball coverage to make up for it....

Good point! I appreciate ESPN's efforts to provide insomniacs with baseball all night to help them drift off.

But ttt for more complainers

You guys get a free PPV and you still complain- no wonnder you needed our help in WW2 (hows that for a cheap shot)

CRE - I contacted them and let them know I thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast and thought the pacing was excellent, almost rhythmic.

That's because you're a twat, a knob and a wanker all rolled up into one irritating little package.

We don't all get it free!

HendosToyinExplodingBoy - 

I now have an everlasting loathing of Direct Line and an unspeakable hatred for the Churchill talking nodding dog.
 Ah, an Atlee man

Going with ESPN is the dumbest thing the UFC have ever done, and that's saying something, they have almost no subscribers and now treating the show like shit, the UFC would've been better off long term going with almost any other free to air channel

KeithKizer - 
HendosToyinExplodingBoy - 

Ah, an Atlee man

Mr Kizer

Even the greatest leaders in history will suffer damage to their good name if they are unfortunate enough to share it with this wretched animal, whom we had to witness spew forth his sales pitch numerous times during the UFC broadcast. I provide you with video evidence of one of his less irritating adverts. Imagine being relentlessly bombarded with this ad nauseum inbetween rounds...

Let's just hope it does not happen with Bevan, Gaitskell and Jenkins!

Setanta also went out of business! No adverts = no money = bankrupt!