Contraception

Let me say up front, I highly doubt I will get any support on this thread...BUT...

Am I the only one here that believes contraception is wrong, and does not pratice it?

I believe conception of a child is an act of God. I also invite God into my life fully, and without any bounds. Lord, you are in control of my life completely. I think it would be hypocritical of me to say "Lord, you are in control of my life completely, except for when my wife and I will conceive another child...as for that part of my life, hands off, God!"

I am open to the possibility of new life whenever God decides it is right for me. I fully trust Him to only giveme challenges I can handle. In fact, my wife and I are kind of hoping that God will bless us with another child (would be our third) relatively soon!

Anyone else????

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it has to do with being a good steward. I know how many kids I can provide for and any more would be pushing it financially and emotionally. I believe God will provide but I don't want to step out into presumption either.

Prior to the advent of non-aborticidal contraceptives one had to abstain in order to be a good steward. Thank GOD! those days are over. :-)

A very brave stance! I hope you like kids :)

I love them ConnJudo...my wife and kids have provided me with happiness I never would have imagined possible.

mkirk, I'm no doctor, but I was under the impression that the pill IS an abortificant. I know for a fact that an IUD is an abortificant.

I'm going to do a little research into the pill to see if my impression was correct...

from www.omsoul.com:

"All oral contraceptives, Norplant, Depo-Provera, and IUDs cause abortions before a woman even knows she's pregnant. According to Dr. Bogomir Kuhar, in Infant Homicides Through Contraceptives, these forms of birth control take an estimated 8.1 to 12.75 million lives each year."

Granted, this is not exactly a partial source, but if what they are saying COULD BE true, and if you are as sickened by abortions as I am, don't you think you owe it to yourself to at least research the issue?

I wasn't actually looking for material for this thread, but I ran across this link on another site. I'll look for a more objective source.

Most birth control pills contain a combination of certain hormones, estrogen and progesterone, which prevents ovulation. If a woman doesn't ovulate she cannot get pregnant because there is no egg to be fertilized.

The Minipill (containing only progesterone) works by thickening the mucous around the cervix, which prevents the sperm from entering the uterus. It also affects the lining of the uterus so if the egg is fertilized it cannot attach to the wall of the uterus. This is more of an abortificant, or at least has the potential to be.

We'll be having a tubal ligation done this Dec. (I say we... I mean her!). Again, this prevents the sperm from entering and fertilizing the eggs.

I also look at it this way. If sex were only for procreation, then every time you have sex and are NOT actively attempting to make a baby, you're sinning. That kinda changes the mood doesn't it? :-)

How can you justify the poverty and misery your religion has brought to much of the world. I think chrstians should be ashamed of themselves for teaching many people in developing nations that it wrong to prevent pregancies so that they may make many more little starving believers.

Can you, as a catholic, justify the terror that your theology has wrought upon the third world?

On a sad side note...

I´ve just watched a documentary about some indians from the amazon forest.

They kill new born babies that has a disable - one must be able to live on its own expenses.

They also kill twins - one baby is good and the other baby is evil, and they don´t know how to distinguish them, so kill them both.

I know that old greeks would kill disabled babies in the past too.

ND,

do you wear a seat belt? Do you lock your door? If you invited God into all of your life shouldn't you let him decide if you get robbed, or killed in a car wreck?

The biblical grounds for not allowing contaceptive are very, very weak. I cannot see any grounds for the Catholic position, and Matt, I have done the research, I was afterall in Catholic school for six years, took six years of religion including Catholic church history, and Catholic morality. Was in four years of catecism, before I started school, and was an altar boy for three years.

I have been clipped, as I didn't want Raquel to have to suffer through another miscarriage.

the rev

I was under the impression that most birth control was non-abortive.

Men can use condoms, women can use pills (or patches, hormone implants or hormone injections) that prevent ovulation or prevent the sperm from getting past the cervix.

This is actually one of the positions on which I disagree with the Catholic church. I feel that married couples should be allowed to use non-abortive birth control as they see fit.

I know that the official position of the Catholic Church is that only the "rhythm method" is an accepted means of birth control. Although I am not completely clear with the Church's reasoning, (I will look it up at a later date, though) I would imagine that the "potential to create life" is still there using this method. But even this method is taking away some of God's control, or rather, it is a way for humans to control their own reproduction.

My that reasoning, methods like Coitus Interruptus also provide God a "window" to bring life into this world, if he wills it. Even condoms and birth control pills allow God to bring life into this world, although it affords humans a greater deal of control than the rhythm method does.

I respect you're views, NDIrish, but have a different opinion.

there has been a bit of controversy with regards to not using contraception due to religious beliefs, particularly with regards to Africa and the aids problem

education to promote safe sex is being undermined, so I find it particularly difficult to justify any anti contraception ideas based on religion

Prior to the advent of non-aborticidal contraceptives one had to abstain in order to be a good steward. Thank GOD! those days are over. :-)Non-abortative contraceptives have been around for millennia. The Romans had things like leather condoms, and used vinegar as a spermicide.do you wear a seat belt? Do you lock your door? If you invited God into all of your life shouldn't you let him decide if you get robbed, or killed in a car wreck?The Rev is correct.

My philosophy is that if God can part the Red Sea, He can certainly break a condom.

What I know is that there are spirits wanting to reencarnate desperately!

Oh boy, I didn't expect this kind of response overnight!

Matt, you have explained my beliefs, and the Catholic position perfectly...thank you.

Ganesha,

Let me ask you this question...in regards to overpopulation and poverty, is the Catholic Church wrong for taking a moral position, or are the individuals at fault for not being able to keep their snake in their pants when their spouse is ovulating?

It's called self-control. The Catholic Church, will not change their opinion of what is moral and what is not based on the lack of self control of parts of the population. My wife and I know when she can conceive..and guess what? When it's that time, I exercise this little known quality call...SELF RESTRAINT!

rev,

While I disagree with the action, I can certainly understand the feelings involved in why you did what you did. I'm not going to point by point with you...this seems like it might be something very personal to you...

"Ok so if conception of a child is an act of God according to you. That doesn't mean that having sex is an act of God. Having sex and having a child are two different things."

LMAO...EvilJedi, do I really need to start with the birds and the bees with you???

I dont see anything at all wrong with condoms or other contraceptives. I cant imagine that God dislikes the use of them. Its called responsible sex. You arent ready for a kid, so wrap it up. Unless someone can show me in the bible were it says not to use contraception, I dont think my mind will be changed.

By the way, if anyone would like to read a pretty good defense of this position, here is a link to Humanae Vitae:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

"This is actually one of the positions on which I disagree with the Catholic church. I feel that married couples should be allowed to use non-abortive birth control as they see fit."

Detriment, that would put you within the majority in the Catholic Church ;^) All I would ask is that you do a little reading as to "why"...if you still disagree with the teachings, then that's your choice. But at least be able to understand the basis of the teaching. Reading Humanae Vitae would be an excellent start.

"I know that the official position of the Catholic Church is that only the "rhythm method" is an accepted means of birth control."

more accurately, it is natural birth control. If your wife is fertile, don't have sex...it's simple, and respects natural law. The Church is against artifical birth control.

"My that reasoning, methods like Coitus Interruptus also provide God a "window" to bring life into this world, if he wills it."

Actually, there are some biblical references against coitus interruptus...I'll see if I dig them up.

"I respect you're views, NDIrish, but have a different opinion."

No problem, my friend. I have these debates with my own mother often...

One other thing...this might be hard (mkirk, no spinoffs!) to believe, but the intimacy between my wife and myself has skyrocketed since we stopped using birth control. Each and every time we have sex, we realize that we could be taking part in God's plan for our lives to bring a new life into the world.

The sex is better...believe it or not, there is more of it...and our relationship has gotten better as a result. My wife is happier with things, which means she cuts me some slack in other areas....which means I get to watch more football over the weekend! Isn't it wierd how things have a cascading effect?!?!