Convince me to buy a PS3

I currently own an Xbox 360. I'm considering buying a PS3, and am having trouble justifying the purchase. Right now the two things that have me leaning towards buying are a) Blue-Ray Player, b)Gran Turismo 5 and c)MLB the Show.

I know I'll need a blue-ray player at some point. But why not save money and just get a standalone blue-ray? I've always enjoyed the GT series, but Forza is comparable, and has an upcoming game on the horizon. And as great as I hear MLB: The Show is for baseball fans such as myself, I can always play MLB 2K on the xbox, even if it's not quite as good as The Show.

So for those of you that have PS3's, what are the biggest selling points. I'd love to hear some game recommendations to look into, specifically ps3 exclusives.

To use a reference, the games I enjoy most for Xbox are Red Dead Redemption, Bad Company, CoD, and most sports games.

As far as online gaming goes I'd go with a Xbox 360, it has more players online and has less graphical problems than the PS3 such as Black Ops. The PS3 is more of a home theater type of system, it has surround sound on Netflix, great Blu-Ray player, and can be used for gaming.

The games you listed are WAY better on the Xbox, trust me. CoD is complete shit on the PS3 and is far more inferior than the Xbox copy. I wouldn't switch from Xbox to PS3 permanently if I was you. If you wanna watch some Blu Rays get a BluRay player.

Trust me I play ALOT of PS3 only because my friends play on it online.

OmarSnake - As far as online gaming goes I'd go with a Xbox 360, it has more players online and has less graphical problems than the PS3 such as Black Ops. The PS3 is more of a home theater type of system, it has surround sound on Netflix, great Blu-Ray player, and can be used for gaming.

The games you listed are WAY better on the Xbox, trust me. CoD is complete shit on the PS3 and is far more inferior than the Xbox copy. I wouldn't switch from Xbox to PS3 permanently if I was you. If you wanna watch some Blu Rays get a BluRay player.

Trust me I play ALOT of PS3 only because my friends play on it online.
??? do you own a PC??? Bad company and black ops on PC DESTROY the PS3/360

COD is not complete shit on the PS3 either

grand Turismo/Ratchet and Clank, metal gear solid, Little Big planet, MLB: The Show, Uncharted, KILL ZONE, God Of war,Resistance

there is plenty of reasons to have a PS3 if you are a gamer, blue ray, free online, reliable console .KILLZONE 3 3d with the new gun attachement for move

P.S. Dont get me wrong the 360 is a equally solid console, dont make this  360 vs Ps3 thing ...but like role model said just get it , YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU OWN ONE.

but for real FPS gaming PC is where is at son!

There are tons of PS3 consoles deals this time of year. You should be able to get a free $100 gift card or something similar. With such a deal, purchasing a PS3 is a no-brainer, considering it has the best exclusive titles by far. Phone Post

dumb request. If you need convincing, don't bother getting one.

Uncharted, God of War 3.

Basically look at the games that are exclusives on either system, and decide whether you could live without playing them. Personally I have no desire to play Halo or Gears of War, so I went with the PS3 so I could play Uncharted and God of War. And the comparing of the multiplatform games is pointless. At no point playing RDR did I ever think "I'd enjoy this more on a 360". The only time it's worth considering stuff like that is if you own both systems, and are deciding whether to get the the 360 or PS3 version of a game. Otherwise it's just an argument for the fanboys.

James

Thank you everyone for the great feedback.

I also didn't want to turn this into an xbox 360 vs. PS3 debate. Yes, I currently own an Xbox 360, and plan on using that as my primary gaming system now and in the future.

What I'm trying to justify is purchasing a PS3 specifically for the PS3 exclusives and the Blue-Ray.

Thanks again.

I have the Wii, 360, and PS3, and I play the PS3 the most. I use the 360 only for it's exclusives. I'll even get home and my girlfriend will be playing Little Big Planet. We both love that game. Uncharted 2 is a great gaming experience. I don't play much online which is why I don't pay for live, but it's nice to have the option on the PS3 without having to pay a monthly fee.

If you pick up the controller now and again, you probably don't need an extra console. If you are passionate about video games, like I am (aka nerd), then you will be very happy with the PS3.

Didn't want to bring PC gaming into it, but you are tripping if the Black Ops on PS3 doesn't suck. The game has a shit load of problems like connection, fps dropping, and shitty graphical problems compared to the superior Xbox version.

And the comparing of the multiplatform games is pointless.

Not really. Odds are 80-90% of your time will be spent playing multiplatform games. If almost all of those look and/or perform better on 360, then it's not pointless at all.

OP sounds like he should get a PS3. The Show is considered the best sports game of all time and it's exclusive. GT5 is exclusive too, of course, even if it is a letdown to many.

ad Little Big Planet 2 to the list of PS3 games to get..i just played the demo and its fun as hell..think about a Mario game but much more evolved and with 4 player co-op..factor in tons of user created levels and the game never gets old...im gonna pick it up when it comes out..