Cool email from a student

I think you guys forget that I'm uglier than sin.

andre - I think you guys forget that I'm uglier than sin.

But I've spent ALL this time! I figured that a black belt was my only hope. And you're saying it doesn't, and won't, work?

andre - Thanks, guys.

Some of you are misreading the situation.

This student is a Harvard Graduate, top lawyer at one of the biggest firms in L.A., and extremely driven in everything she does. She doesnt seem to be training just for fun, although she enjoys it a lot, but also to improve as much as she can.
So let me get this straight, the girl is looking for something "just for fun" and is driven to stop at nothing to get what she wants?

HoldYerGround - 
andre - Thanks, guys.

Some of you are misreading the situation.

This student is a Harvard Graduate, top lawyer at one of the biggest firms in L.A., and extremely driven in everything she does. She doesnt seem to be training just for fun, although she enjoys it a lot, but also to improve as much as she can.
So let me get this straight, the girl is looking for something "just for fun" and is driven to stop at nothing to get what she wants?

"She doesnt seem to be training just for fun"

What I mean is that she enjoys the training a lot, but she takes it seriously and tries her best to improve--in a way that would make any instructor really glad to have her in class.

Ridgeback - It is a fine line in any situation with teachers and students.  Lots of teachers in any number of fields wind up having inappropriate relationships with students and sometimes the breaking down of those barriers is a big part of it happening.  I don't think it is wrong to hang out and be friends with students outside of the class environment, especially in group settings.  When I was in Redondo Beach training at Rigan's school he invited me to watch the UFC at his house.  It was pretty cool.

Preaching to the choir, man ;-)

I used to teach at the university level (Ole Miss) and had numerous times where female students asked me to their sorority parties, or ran into me out at bars some nights and started talking to me, etc. You better believe I was on guard for stuff that could cost me my job :-P

That said, I teach at a med school now, and I do indeed take my residents and interns out to lunch, we go to each others' kids' birthday parties, etc. Some other faculty keep everything at arms' length and make sure to remind students that they're different levels, while I happen to be a little more friendly and treat them as folks who will be my colleagues in the blink of an eye (and I don't want them to remember me as a dick who acted superior, etc.).

I think there are benefits to the way I do things....as long as the risks are properly managed as well (e.g., I never take a female student to lunch and it's just the two of us).

you guys are seriously a bunch of 5 year olds. it's a FUCKING EMAIL.

I can only assume you've never seen someone lose their job after being accused by a female of inappropriate behavior where there are NO WITNESSES other than the man and woman in question. And I don't mean something on the level of rape or assault, I mean s/t like going to give someone a hug.

I have.

Hell, I got a bunch of e-mails from female students that I thought weren't anything to worry about, and I showed them to my GF at the time and she freaked - she said these girls were clearly taking shots at me and were interested in me (and I was too dumb to see it), and had I responded in the wrong manner it could have gotten me in deep trouble.

ttt