Cop beat handcuffed military police officer

Orlando, Florida — The integrity of the Orlando Police Department is being questioned after the agency purposely withheld evidence from the State Attorney’s Office against one of their officers.

The agency withheld body cam video that showed Orlando Police Officer, William Escobar, punching and kicking a military police officer while he was already handcuffed and on the ground following an illegal arrest.

It all started in March 2014, when police responded to a call about a possible fight between six individuals.

The first paragraph of the police report showed that officers already had a preconceived notion of who they thought they would be dealing with when they responded to the area by stating they knew criminals lived in the area. The officers also claimed that when they arrived on the scene and stepped out of the car, they could smell marijuana in the air. Officer Williams stated, “I am familiar with the odor of cannabis due to my training and experience in street level drugs.” It was later determined there wasn’t any marijuana on the scene.

While on the scene, Officer Williams reported he saw the silhouette of a handgun in the pocket of Verrell Sheals, one of the individuals at the location.

While arresting Sheals, officers reported that Refus Jerome Holloway “charged” officers while his hands were in his pockets. Further in the report, officers contradicted themselves and stated that Holloway’s hands were outside his pockets because he was holding up his military officer ID. Witnesses testified that Holloway did in fact have his hands up, attempting to show the officers his ID. Holloway was asking the officers why his cousin was being arrested.

Officer Williams stated that he took Holloway’s actions as threatening, drew his weapon, and pointed it at Holloway. As Holloway was telling the officer to look at his ID, Officer Williams delivered a front kick to Holloway’s abdomen, at which point Holloway caught the officer’s foot. Holloway immediately released the officer’s foot and began to back away once he realized the officer had lost his balance.

Officer Williams then emptied an entire can of OC spray in Holloway’s face. As Holloway fell to the ground, he was still sprayed. An innocent bystander was also hit in his face by the spray, causing him to fall to the ground as well.

Holloway was then handcuffed and punched by Officer Escobar. Officer Escobar punched Holloway in the back of the head while he was handcuffed and face-down in the dirt. Officer Escobar said, “I am a cop, you understand you stupid mother f***er.” The officer also kicked Holloway.

Holloway can be heard in the video saying, “I didn’t touch you, I didn’t touch you.”

After kicking Holloway, the officer then dragged him and tossed him like a ragdoll.

Officer Williams and Escobar wrote in their police reports that Holloway was punched in the head because he was resisting being handcuffed and tried to stand up. However, when Holloway was punched in the back of the head, he was already handcuffed. Officer Escobar also stated that he kicked Holloway because [he] attempted to kick him.

Holloway said the only time he moved was when he attempted to turn his head to the side because he had been OC sprayed, and could not breathe with his face directly in the dirt.

An investigation reveled that the officer’s police reports were completely fabricated. It was also learned that the officers didn’t even write their own reports. The reports were written by an officer that was not even present at the scene.

Holloway was arrested and charged with Battery on a Law Enforcement Officer based on the arresting officer’s sworn statements.

The State Attorney was forced to drop the charges against Holloway after the 1:49 cell video surfaced in June that contradicted parts of the officer’s police report. The video also prompted prosecutors to ask about body cam video, even though Escobar had put in the police report that there wasn’t any body cam video of the arrest. The incident happened in March, but the body cam video was not presented to prosecutors until October — four months after the cell phone video surfaced.

Escobar has yet to be criminally charged, although prosecutors now say they are considering charges.

The Orlando Police Department refused to supply Ocala Post with the body cam video, citing an open investigation against Officer Escobar.

“Thank you for your inquiry however the case is still active at this time and nothing is being released at this time. Should the information become available it will be released,” Orlando Police Department Public Information Officer, Lieutenant Lovetta Quinn-Henry, wrote in an e-mail to Ocala Post.

An officer with OPD who requested anonymity said, “As of November 24, 2014, Escobar is still on the job at the Orlando Police Department, but is on ‘alternative’ duties.”

In the officer’s reports, they stated that the area is a known drug area and is overridden with criminals; however, Holloway’s family are not the common criminal type.

Holloway has been a military officer for five years and has served overseas twice. His father also owns a very prosperous bail bonds company in the Orlando area. Holloway said the officers clearly had their minds made up before they even arrived. “As soon as they saw me, they profiled me because of what I look like,” Holloway said. “I did not disrespect the officers and I had my hands up with my ID out, I was treated like a criminal. I am a military police officer, I know how to act and respect the law.” Holloway went on to say, “The truth is the reason they concealed the body cam video.”

Holloway went on to say, “How are people supposed to trust the Orlando Police Department if they cover up crimes committed by officers.”

“The integrity of the department has been compromised,” Holloway said.

Officer Escobar has been investigated eight other times for similar disciplinary actions. Each time Escobar was investigated, he was cleared.

The State Attorney’s office claimed the investigation is ongoing.

Source: http://www.ocalapost.com/opd-officer-to-military-veteran-i-am-a-cop-you-understand-you-stupid-mother-fer/

Standard operating procedure.

LOL @ having been investigated for the same shit eight times, cleared every time, and the department trying to hide the body cam. This makes nine lives, homie. Dude is just running around kicking the shit out of everyone, the department knows it, and covers it up.

Does anyone think this is the only jerkoff in Orlando abusing his badge?

An n Orlando police officer who was fired for punching a handcuffed man in March 2014 will get his job back along with back pay.

Arbitrator Michael A. Berzansky ruled on Monday that the city of Orlando had no just cause to fire William Escobar and failed to give him a fair investigation.

Escobar was fired in January 2015 after a video showed him punching and kicking then-25-year-old Refus Holloway during an arrest. Escobar said he was defending himself. He was charged with misdemeanor battery and perjury, but was acquitted last year.

Berzansky wrote in his opinion that the department "rushed to judgment" in firing Escobar. He wrote the city relied on news articles as a basis to fire him, which he called "unproven."

"The record indicates that the city improperly used these articles to support its unfounded allegation that this news coverage brought shame upon the OPD," Berzansky wrote. "A fair investigation would not have relied on this unproven information."

Escobar also had his disciplinary record wiped clean, according to his attorney, Jill Schwartz.

In a statement released by Schwartz, Escobar said he was "overjoyed" about returning to the career he loves.

"My strong faith sustained me during this long and difficult ordeal," Escobar said. "I can't overstate the support given to me by my family and the guidance and expertise of my legal team."

Schwartz said she believed Escobar was telling the truth in his version of events.

"His desire to serve the public and his dedication to the Orlando Police Department remain impressive," she said.

A spokeswoman for Orlando police said the decision was final and Escobar will be required to attend any Florida Department of Law Enforcement training to keep his certification.

He will be assigned to a unit based on vacancies, the spokeswoman said.

An internal-affairs report concluded in early 2015 said he violated OPD's standards of conduct, used excessive force, filed a false report, mistreated Holloway and failed to obey laws and procedures.

Chief John Mina said at a news conference in 2015 that Escobar's actions "did not reflect the overall actions, performance and behavior of the Orlando Police Department or our commitment and dedication to keeping this community safe."

Mina was not made available for an interview on Tuesday.

Berzansky criticized Mina for making those statements because Escobar's grievance process was not complete. Mina's statements "assured Escobar's grievance would be swiftly rejected," he said.

Berzansky also wrote that Mina's comment that the case would be "hand delivered" to the state attorney's office was inappropriate.

"I believe this was a statement made to influence the outcome of Escobar's criminal trial," Berzansky wrote.

The incident started when Escobar and Officer Joel Williams responded to a call about a fight in progress in the Parramore area.

When they arrived, the fight was over. But Escobar said Williams approached a man who had a gun and no concealed-weapons permit. The officer took the gun from the man.

That's when Holloway, according to Escobar, started charging at Williams. Escobar said Williams, with his gun drawn, ordered Holloway to the ground, but he kept coming.

The video showed Escobar kicking Holloway while he was handcuffed on the ground.

Holloway had a much different account, saying he was just trying to break up the fight and was being compliant to the officer's orders.

His attorney, Carlos Haynes, said he was speechless after hearing the news Escobar had been rehired.

Haynes said his client was hoping his case would spark change within the department, letting officers know that type of behavior would not be tolerated.

"Once we told him Mr. Escobar got the job back, he just felt this case was all for nothing," Haynes said.

Holloway declined further comment, saying he was still trying to process the news.

In a civil trial, Holloway was awarded $15,000.

This is the second time in two years that an officer won his job back through arbitration. A arbitrator ordered the reinstatement of Officer Janir Sims last year. The police union contract calls for any employee who faces disciplinary action to go through a grievance process.

Here is the cop explaining his side of it:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/85140698-132.html

Total BS.

AnthonyWeiner - LOL @ having been investigated for the same shit eight times, cleared every time, and the department trying to hide the body cam. This makes nine lives, homie. Dude is just running around kicking the shit out of everyone, the department knows it, and covers it up.

Does anyone think this is the only jerkoff in Orlando abusing his badge?

No, there are others on OPD that are liars and violate people's civil rights.

This is why you always film police. It's the only way to keep cops honest. Otherwise they lie.

Maimi Dade is corrupt as fuck, now Orlando showing its trying to catch Up!

They just want to get home safely though. Nothing to see here.

The cop is literally on video kicking a guy who is already handcuffed.  Based on just that bit of fact alone, he should be fired at the very least.  What a piece of shit.

Stuff like this comes out everyday, keep recording, this bullshit will end soon, people are waking up

StrikingMMA - This is why you always film police. It's the only way to keep cops honest. Otherwise they lie.

Even when caught on camera, they still get away with it.

Sickening.  

"Officer Escobar said, “I am a cop, you understand you stupid mother f***er.” "

This type of attitude is the problem.  

angryinch - 
StrikingMMA - This is why you always film police. It's the only way to keep cops honest. Otherwise they lie.

Even when caught on camera, they still get away with it.

Sickening.  

"Officer Escobar said, “I am a cop, you understand you stupid mother f***er.” "

This type of attitude is the problem.  

"Protect and Serve" doesn't exist anymore. People need to wake the fuck up.

And again I'll ask, where are the so called "good" cops and why aren't they demanding that this guy be fired and charged or else they will all quit?

I certainly wouldn't want to work alongside a piece of shit like that whose mere presence in my department would tarnish my own reputation.

As I keep saying, there really are no good cops.  They don't care about the law, they don't care about justice, they don't care about serving and protecting, they just care about having authority over others and being part of a govt sanctioned gang. 

I've known many many cops in my lifetime and I can tell you that without fail, they all have the same exact attitude as gangbangers.  The only difference is cops have the govt's blessing to run around playing billy badass and beating the shit out of everyone.  

A group you don't want to piss off...military people

Fake Pie - An n Orlando police officer who was fired for punching a handcuffed man in March 2014 will get his job back along with back pay.

Arbitrator Michael A. Berzansky ruled on Monday that the city of Orlando had no just cause to fire William Escobar and failed to give him a fair investigation.

Escobar was fired in January 2015 after a video showed him punching and kicking then-25-year-old Refus Holloway during an arrest. Escobar said he was defending himself. He was charged with misdemeanor battery and perjury, but was acquitted last year.

Berzansky wrote in his opinion that the department "rushed to judgment" in firing Escobar. He wrote the city relied on news articles as a basis to fire him, which he called "unproven."

"The record indicates that the city improperly used these articles to support its unfounded allegation that this news coverage brought shame upon the OPD," Berzansky wrote. "A fair investigation would not have relied on this unproven information."

Escobar also had his disciplinary record wiped clean, according to his attorney, Jill Schwartz.

In a statement released by Schwartz, Escobar said he was "overjoyed" about returning to the career he loves.

"My strong faith sustained me during this long and difficult ordeal," Escobar said. "I can't overstate the support given to me by my family and the guidance and expertise of my legal team."

Schwartz said she believed Escobar was telling the truth in his version of events.

"His desire to serve the public and his dedication to the Orlando Police Department remain impressive," she said.

A spokeswoman for Orlando police said the decision was final and Escobar will be required to attend any Florida Department of Law Enforcement training to keep his certification.

He will be assigned to a unit based on vacancies, the spokeswoman said.

An internal-affairs report concluded in early 2015 said he violated OPD's standards of conduct, used excessive force, filed a false report, mistreated Holloway and failed to obey laws and procedures.

Chief John Mina said at a news conference in 2015 that Escobar's actions "did not reflect the overall actions, performance and behavior of the Orlando Police Department or our commitment and dedication to keeping this community safe."

Mina was not made available for an interview on Tuesday.

Berzansky criticized Mina for making those statements because Escobar's grievance process was not complete. Mina's statements "assured Escobar's grievance would be swiftly rejected," he said.

Berzansky also wrote that Mina's comment that the case would be "hand delivered" to the state attorney's office was inappropriate.

"I believe this was a statement made to influence the outcome of Escobar's criminal trial," Berzansky wrote.

The incident started when Escobar and Officer Joel Williams responded to a call about a fight in progress in the Parramore area.

When they arrived, the fight was over. But Escobar said Williams approached a man who had a gun and no concealed-weapons permit. The officer took the gun from the man.

That's when Holloway, according to Escobar, started charging at Williams. Escobar said Williams, with his gun drawn, ordered Holloway to the ground, but he kept coming.

The video showed Escobar kicking Holloway while he was handcuffed on the ground.

Holloway had a much different account, saying he was just trying to break up the fight and was being compliant to the officer's orders.

His attorney, Carlos Haynes, said he was speechless after hearing the news Escobar had been rehired.

Haynes said his client was hoping his case would spark change within the department, letting officers know that type of behavior would not be tolerated.

"Once we told him Mr. Escobar got the job back, he just felt this case was all for nothing," Haynes said.

Holloway declined further comment, saying he was still trying to process the news.

In a civil trial, Holloway was awarded $15,000.

This is the second time in two years that an officer won his job back through arbitration. A arbitrator ordered the reinstatement of Officer Janir Sims last year. The police union contract calls for any employee who faces disciplinary action to go through a grievance process.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

I can't wait for WW 3...  Let's get back to a simpler time when if you fucked with something you shouldn't, you died.  No cops, just kill at will.  LETS DO THIS!!!

angryinch - 

And again I'll ask, where are the so called "good" cops and why aren't they demanding that this guy be fired and charged or else they will all quit?

I certainly wouldn't want to work alongside a piece of shit like that whose mere presence in my department would tarnish my own reputation.

As I keep saying, there really are no good cops.  They don't care about the law, they don't care about justice, they don't care about serving and protecting, they just care about having authority over others and being part of a govt sanctioned gang. 

I've known many many cops in my lifetime and I can tell you that without fail, they all have the same exact attitude as gangbangers.  The only difference is cops have the govt's blessing to run around playing billy badass and beating the shit out of everyone.  

He was fired and charged. He was acquitted and then a judge forced the PD to take him back.

The court system failed on this one not the police department.

clevelandkid - 

As usual, video starts after the perps were doing whatever it is they were doing.  Judging by the sounds of the primates in this video, I'm ok w/ whatever happened here.

Was there really a person named "Reeses" there?

Nothing illegal was done by anyone besides the cop.