Cop could use a little grappling training

meh, cop did pretty well there. and lol at vascular restraint

KidJustice - 
JSMHP - Cops aren't suppose to choke people so that's why he didn't regardless that is just yet another example of the deficiency in police DT.
You should not comment on what you do not know. It was not a choke it was a vascular restraint and cops are allowed to do it. 

And before you get all uppity. I have 20 yrs of experience in teaching police DT tactics and taught at the Federal level at FLETC for 2 yrs.

i have been in law enforcement 28yrs & have arrested 100's of individuals & i am always disgusted how the vast majority of my colleagues on all levels of law enforcement completely ignore the need for consistent training.

i have been training jiu jitsu for over 10-yrs in central NY w/an amazing instructor & have repeatedly offered the opportunity to others to train but few ever even give it a try.

no excuse in my opinion. if u know u'r in a job where u have a high likelihood of physically restraining a combative person, u need to prepare. we have a great facility close to 4-prisons & surrounded by state police barracks & city police agencies yet have fewer than a handful of cops, CO's or parole & probation officers.

it's ridiculous.

Any suggestion on whether they would want help? I also have wondered that. Like if you see some 300lbs drunk dude with a cop unsuccessfully trying to wrassle him would he want you to double leg the guy to the ground?

Mike_in_CA - And figures nobody helped.

i wouldnt without knowing what the guy did. If he was a rapist, yes. If he stole a chocolate bar, hell no.

4 later Phone Post

In my head, all I kept thinking was.."GET YOUR DAMN HOOKS IN COPPER!!!!"

KidJustice - 
JSMHP - Cops aren't suppose to choke people so that's why he didn't regardless that is just yet another example of the deficiency in police DT.
You should not comment on what you do not know. It was not a choke it was a vascular restraint and cops are allowed to do it. 

And before you get all uppity. I have 20 yrs of experience in teaching police DT tactics and taught at the Federal level at FLETC for 2 yrs.

What is a vascular restraint? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious as to what constitutes as vascular restraint? Only watch the video once but, it looked to me like he slapped on a palm to palm rear naked choke for a sec.

"JSMHP - Cops aren't suppose to choke people so that's why he didn't regardless that is just yet another example of the deficiency in police DT.

You should not comment on what you do not know. It was not a choke it was a vascular restraint and cops are allowed to do it.

And before you get all uppity. I have 20 yrs of experience in teaching police DT tactics and taught at the Federal level at FLETC for 2 yrs."

Ya JSMHP why comment on something you don't know?!!!LOL ;)
What do you do for a living anyway to even comment on that!!?
Not like your a Gracie Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt and teach Tactical Defense stuff to Miltary and Police..NOOB!!..Geesh..LOL

This guy also showing some good vascular restraint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6TQKTA3SgY

Oldie but a goodie.

Also for Big EP he gets the hooks in.

Cop did a damn good job!

Edit: Looked like he had him in a Thai clinch for a sec. I was hoping for a knee.

onyx2002 - This guy also showing some good vascular restraint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6TQKTA3SgY

Oldie but a goodie.

Also for Big EP he gets the hooks in.

Nice video. The only thing I hated was the title "Police Brutality" when in reality it didn't look like he was even squeezing THAT hard. I think both cops/security were being professional and was most def. not over the top in any way. I know he taps the guy on the back while he's cuffed, but I don't think it was to see if he was out, more like, are you ok? are you done? etc.

I was thinking Cro Cop can grapple...this video makes way more sense Phone Post

Later Phone Post

old4nhb - 
KidJustice - 

i have been in law enforcement 28yrs & have arrested 100's of individuals & i am always disgusted how the vast majority of my colleagues on all levels of law enforcement completely ignore the need for consistent training.

i have been training jiu jitsu for over 10-yrs in central NY w/an amazing instructor & have repeatedly offered the opportunity to others to train but few ever even give it a try.

no excuse in my opinion. if u know u'r in a job where u have a high likelihood of physically restraining a combative person, u need to prepare. we have a great facility close to 4-prisons & surrounded by state police barracks & city police agencies yet have fewer than a handful of cops, CO's or parole & probation officers.

it's ridiculous.

Where in cny do you work/train? Just curious, I'm from the area.

ryanJ - 
Interesting point...my first inclination would be to jump in and help, but would a cop actually want that? (I have no idea...any cops shed some light on the question?)

They way to handle this is to get where the officer can see you and verbally offer your assistance. Wait for him to acknowledge you before jumping in.

Nearly without exception, he will take you up on the offer.

What you don't want to do is come up from behind and jump in without warning. He will likely assume that you are another perp trying to help out the criminal, as you see how many witness attempt to help in these situations.

Even as a plainclothes/off-duty officer, I will identify myself and wait for acknowledgement before jumping in out of uniform.

Also, when other uniformed officers begin to respond, you need to be a position where it's clear you are helping. You can also yell out "stop resisting." Again, the first reaction is going to be that you are another perp (even if you are a cop in plainclothes).

Thanks good response

old4nhb - 

it's ridiculous.

This is symbolic of the very fucked up attitude toward training in the Northeast as a whole. 90% of the force is there because it was the best job that they were qualified for, not because they wanted to be cops.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "if the department wants me to have training, they need to pay for it, and send me on overtime."

Policing in the Northeast is still better than places like Florida, with the fucked up turf battles. Still, the lazy union mentality has to go.

It was not over-the-top super brutal, he did his job. But don't be too nice on the officer's skills here. Let's be fair and blunt: it looked like any uneducated, untrained hobo trying to hold on to a random guy. It seemed he had not practiced a minute of basic technique in his life. Hanging on to the guy and pulling clothes until they stumble to the ground and then wonder why he won't do as you tell him when he A: is unable to, and B: is panicking because he obviously is being choked.

I'm sure the guy had committed a felony and the officer did his job and all, that is all super fine. But seeing a police officer so completely incompetent in such an important area of his job (subduing criminals) is a bit disturbing.

A few years ago there was an incident not far from where I live. Outside a club got into some kind of fight with the security guards and eventually he was on his belly with two security guards both putting their weight on his back with their knees, holding him down. Of course he was panicking because he may have had 400 pounds of pressure on his back and they kept telling him to stop resisting as his girlfriend was screaming at them "he can't breathe!". After a while he was dead from asphyxiation.

Security guards and police officers may not need standard martial arts training at 19:00 mondays, wednesdays and sundays but they need to know the basic manouvers that people use in their line of work, and know them well. You can't just hang onto a guys clothes hoping he falls down and cooperates like in this video. If it had been a 250-pound bodybuilder the officer would have been done for, or forced to use weapons.

Slap on the hand, officer. Work on your flaws, improve, and come back and do a better job.

iPhone embed? Thanks ! Phone Post

Mike_in_CA - And figures nobody helped.

No doubt. You know society is going to shit when nobody comes to help you get away. WTF?