Cop Sacrifices Body to Save Toddler

Ryan Herst, Buena Park Cop, Sacrifices Body to Save Toddler Running Alone on Busy Street

Categories: Crime-iny

buena-park-police-dept-patch.jpg

A Buena Park police officer received moderate injuries saving an unaccompanied toddler who he'd spotted running into a heavily traveled roadway, authorities said.

Officer Ryan Herst is expected to recover from the undisclosed injuries he sustained around 7:40 p.m. Tuesday in the 8200 block of Whitaker Street.

Herst had been driving in his patrol car when he spotted the child, who appeared to be age 2 or 3, running north across Whitaker Street as oncoming traffic approached, according to a Buena Park Police statement.

The cop quickly stopped his cruiser, got out, grabbed the child, shielded him with his body and then rolled onto the pavement away from the path of an oncoming vehicle, police said.

But in doing so, Herst's body hit the pavement hard. Arriving officers and Orange County Fire Authority personnel treated Herst before taking him to an area hospital, according to police.

The child, who was not injured, was reunited with his family, which is being investigated to determine how the boy wound up alone on the busy street.

Email: mcoker@ocweekly.com. Twitter: @MatthewTCoker. Follow OC Weekly on Twitter @ocweekly or on Facebook!

good cop stories are cool

Good for the cop but I pictured something a little more severe than rolling on to the pavement.

When I read the headline I pictured him getting hit by a car or something.

"I'm surprised he didn't taser the toddler then arrest him and charge him with assault by claiming that the toddler attacked him and that's how he got the injuries"  --  angryinch

angryinch -

"I'm surprised he didn't taser the toddler then arrest him and charge him with assault by claiming that the toddler attacked him and that's how he got the injuries"  --  angryinch

Lol. Love it. Phone Post

dammit

Oh no, better get him some band aids for his cuts from rolling on the concrete..... Phone Post 3.0

Finally some good press about a cop, cool story. 

Cop did not taser toddler in the face?

I am shocked. It is a real life?

;)

Kidding.

angryinch -

LMAO! VU! Phone Post 3.0

kanotoa - I figure someone took it by mistake because it is a shitty phone. I call and the taxi cab driver picks up (arab) he says he will swing back around and drop off the phone.

This nice tsa brotha offers to esort me out so I don't have to go through security again. We pick up the phone and this guy was the nicest tsa agent I have ever met.

I wanted to take a picture of the guy and post it here but I figure that wasn't cool and against the rules.

Anyway I am always paranoid about tsa and loss of liberty etc. These agents at LA really impressed me with their professionalism. Phone Post

Chill bro, you've been wilding each it a little too hard. Phone Post

His body was ready Phone Post 3.0

kanotoa - I figure someone took it by mistake because it is a shitty phone. I call and the taxi cab driver picks up (arab) he says he will swing back around and drop off the phone.

This nice tsa brotha offers to esort me out so I don't have to go through security again. We pick up the phone and this guy was the nicest tsa agent I have ever met.

I wanted to take a picture of the guy and post it here but I figure that wasn't cool and against the rules.

Anyway I am always paranoid about tsa and loss of liberty etc. These agents at LA really impressed me with their professionalism. Phone Post
Wonky app is wonky Phone Post 3.0

Stan Dan Wang - LOL @ "sacrificed his body".

get a grip.

This.  Based on the thread title I was expecting a story about a cop who threw himself under a steamroller or something like that.  This guy just ended up with a little ouchy.  

One of these should fix him right up.

Tuck n roll Phone Post 3.0

By "sacrificed body" I think they mean he burnt a few extra calories running to the toddler so his donut physique was being sacrificed. Phone Post 3.0

Good to hear Phone Post 3.0

angryinch -

Awesome lol Phone Post

Stan Dan Wang - LOL @ "sacrificed his body".

get a grip.
This

I thought he got ran over..

Still, props on saving a kid. Phone Post 3.0

That's an awesome story. My buddy got stabbed 7 times stopping an attempted rape......no headline for him. Phone Post 3.0