Cops change story after shooting teen in head

Police in a Dallas suburb have changed their story on the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of a teenager outside a house party over the weekend.

Balch Springs Police Chief Jonathan Haber initially said a car was moving "aggressively" toward officers when one of them fired into it Saturday night, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards, but the chief told reporters Monday he "misspoke."
Haber said body camera footage of the incident showed the car was driving forward, away from the officers, not reversing toward them.
"I take responsibility for that," Haber said.
The officer's behavior "did not meet our core values," Haber said.
Officers broke up the house party in response to reports of under-aged drinking. One officer then fired a rifle into a vehicle as it was driving away from the party, fatally injuring the front-seat passenger.

Jordan died from a fatal wound to the head, according to the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office. The freshman Mesquite High School student-athlete's death was ruled a homicide.
Police were looking for the owners of the house when shots were allegedly heard in the area, creating chaos right before Jordan was shot, according to Balch Springs Police Public Information Officer Pedro Gonzalez.
Haber declined to confirm whether any shots were confirmed to have been fired or whether the boys in the car were armed, citing the ongoing investigation.

The officer fired three shots into the car, Edwards family lawyer Lee Merritt told CNN, based on eyewitness accounts from the other boys in the car.
Jordan's 16-year-old brother and their three friends were detained at the scene and taken away from Jordan's wounded body to the Dallas County Sheriff's Department, where they were eventually interviewed as witnesses. The boys were not arrested or charged, according to Merritt.
Jordan was transported to Baylor University hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries, according to a BSPD press release.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/us/texas-cop-kills-teen-trnd/

Pic of the teen: http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170502100113-01-jordan-edwards-exlarge-169.jpg

_______

Kinda fucked up... Shooting at car of teens driving away? Of course they try to cover it up... Thank god for body cams. Can you even imagine before security cameras in general became common? Cops probably lied all the time and didn't care.

Technology FTW on this one.

RIP to the lil kid.

And it happens again.

This time is it was a 15-year-old victim named Jordan Edwards in Balch Springs, Texas. Shortly after the honor student and popular football player left a house in the suburb of Dallas with his brother and friends, he was shot and killed by a police officer whose name has yet to be released. The Balch Springs police department initially said that the driver was using the car in an “aggressive manner,” coming towards the patrol car. We now know that this is lie.

In a press conference on Monday police chief Jonathan Haber told reporters that video shows the exact opposite.

“I unintentionally [was] incorrect yesterday when I said the vehicle was backing down the road,” Haber said. “In fact, according to the video that I viewed the vehicle was moving forward as the officer was approached.”

Sad

So did he say he "misspoke" or did he say he was "unintentionally incorrect"? 

No need to fire a gun at kids for underage drinking, murder

LOL @ "misspoke".

As a parent, this is one of my worst nightmares. Sounds like he was a good kid, with a good GPA and all.

Went to a party to have a good time, tried to leave when things started going south and was seemingly executed by a dumb ass cop.

Its almost impossible to prevent something like this, just so scary. Putting in all that work to raise a good kid that you no doubt love above all else, then this happens.

Shouldn't have fled the cops but obviously that doesn't justify shooting into the back of the car. I hope the video is released soon.

HealthNut26 - As a parent, this is one of my worst nightmares. Sounds like he was a good kid, with a good GPA and all.

Went to a party to have a good time, tried to leave when things started going south and was seemingly executed by a dumb ass cop.

Its almost impossible to prevent something like this, just so scary. Putting in all that work to raise a good kid that you no doubt love above all else, then this happens.

Yeah, based on the info available, it seems like all the kid did was leave a party when cops were called.

Which is practically an American pasttime for teenagers.

Disgusting.

Curtis_E_Bare - 

That's a 15-year-old?

Oh, so you're saying you don't value executing teenagers?

Wölfie66 - "I take responsibility"...ok, please define what that means... crickets crickets

Paid leave.

Jack Carter - 

I think he meant the lying part not meeting the core values. Execution is fair game.

Jack Carter -

Oh they value it, it's just not a core value.

Misaki - 
Jack Carter - 

I think he meant the lying part not meeting the core values. Execution is fair game.

Hasn't it been ruled a homicide? Meaning the officer will be charged with murder?

Jack Carter - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

That's a 15-year-old?

Could be. Could also be 10 years old. Who knows.

angryinch?

Lofland -

angryinch?

I'm surprised he's not here yet. The thread title is like his 'Bat Signal'

RIP

forgot how to cop

but