Cops miss guy behind door, negligent discharge

Skip to 2:50 for the ND. Pretty nuts. Old but I never saw it. Will try to see what happened (if anything).

Can find the family sued last year but not much since. OH SHIT FUCK!

$3 million settlement to family. Officer still employed.

https://www.championnewspapers.com/news/article_f24f1f2c-c2d7-11ea-acf5-87b5a4b8fe1e.html

That officer was an idiot. He assumed the lady understood English just because she knew the word no. He thought he was so clever too.

Chino city council awarded a near $3 million settlement Tuesday to the family of a 49-year-old Fontana man shot and killed last year by a Chino police officer during the serving of a search warrant at a suspected illegal marijuana grow house in Chino.

Following Tuesday’s closed session meeting, city attorney Fred Galante announced the council’s decision to authorize the settlement agreement to Pin Mein Lin and Alan Bin Wang in exchange for full release of claims and no admission of wrongdoing or liability. 

Mr. Galante said the city will pay about $1 million of the $2.99 million settlement from its self-insured retention funds. The remainder will be paid by the city’s liability insurance. 

Chief Simmons said investigations on the shooting are ongoing by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, the Chino Police Department, and the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s office. 

“Once the investigations are concluded, they will be reviewed to see if any policy changes should be made,” he said. 

The Chino Police Department’s Special Enforcement Team was serving a search warrant on July 3, 2019 on the house that was subject to neighbors’ complaints of suspected drug trafficking and marijuana cultivation.

A police body cam video shows Chino Police Sgt. Derek Bishop, a 16-year veteran of the department, firing one shot at Li Xi Wang, a Chinese immigrant who appeared to be hiding behind a door when armed officers were searching the home in the 6800 block of Rockrose Street.

Mr. Wang died at a hospital.

Sgt. Bishop was placed on a three-day paid administrative leave, which is standard protocol after an officer-involved shooting, according to Chief Simmons. 

The sergeant returned to work at the end of that period and remains employed at the Chino Police Department, the chief said. 

The video first shows officers banging on the front door, shouting they were with the Chino Police Department and had a search warrant. 

At the front door, they saw a woman, identified as Ai Yue Cai. 

She was handcuffed and asked several times if anyone was inside. 

She continued to shake her head no, the video shows.

When no one else came to the door, officers forced their way inside with a handheld battering ram. 

Ms. Cai was arrested on suspicion of marijuana cultivation and grand theft.

The video was made public by Chino Police Aug. 23. 

Days later, an attorney for the claimants said the officers' demands and warnings were not understood by Mr. Wang and Ms. Cai because they did not speak English.

Chief Simmons said officers seized a combined 1,500 marijuana plants from the Chino home and another house in Fontana during its investigation, along with $35,000 in cash and evidence of grand theft totaling more than $105,000.

stupid stupid stupid. 

How many violations of the 4 basic firearms safety rules did yall see. ? 

and since when has it ever fucking mattered how many people that they  tell you are in there? 

How did nobody else see the guy hiding behind the door?

gtownhoya - 

$3 million settlement to family. Officer still employed.

https://www.championnewspapers.com/news/article_f24f1f2c-c2d7-11ea-acf5-87b5a4b8fe1e.html

Thanks man. Settlement just a week ago so maybe that's why it popped up on YT.

ChimpFL - 

How did nobody else see the guy hiding behind the door?

It would be kind of funny if someone didn't die... eh, it is still kind of funny.

When Police Sgt. Derek Bishop was asked for comment about the $3M settlement, he responded:

OH SHIT FUCK!

2 Likes

Obviously nobody deserves to get shot.

But hiding behind the door during a police raid of your grow up is unwise.

mikethecricket -

Obviously nobody deserves to get shot.

But hiding behind the door during a police raid of your grow up is unwise.

Its kind of hilarious he thought it would work. And funnier it kind of did for a bit. I'm sure those tacticool guys took a lot of shit for that nevermind the ND. 

She's pretty hot for 53

while i get it that no one deserves to be shot dead, the very fact that you decide to operate criminal activities means that when police come barging in shouting their arrival means that you kind of forfeit any rights especially if u decide to hide behind a door. for a police officer, you might be carrying a gun, or who knows what.

walbjj - while i get it that no one deserves to be shot dead, the very fact that you decide to operate criminal activities means that when police come barging in shouting their arrival means that you kind of forfeit any rights especially if u decide to hide behind a door. for a police officer, you might be carrying a gun, or who knows what.

Eh ... I disagree with that. I see what you’re saying but i don’t think hiding from cops should give them the right to straight murder you. 

This was an accident. It was a really big fuck up but it’s not like the cop had any ill intent and I can only imagine how fucked up he is over it.

I’m not sure I agree with such a large settlement, but the officer was in the wrong and killed someone. The dept absolutely should have to pay for their fuck up. 

Unfortunately they had to pay it to a piece of shit criminal. 

Unfortunate situation all around. 

2 Likes

clattymine - 
walbjj - while i get it that no one deserves to be shot dead, the very fact that you decide to operate criminal activities means that when police come barging in shouting their arrival means that you kind of forfeit any rights especially if u decide to hide behind a door. for a police officer, you might be carrying a gun, or who knows what.

Eh ... I disagree with that. I see what you’re saying but i don’t think hiding from cops should give them the right to straight murder you. 

This was an accident. It was a really big fuck up but it’s not like the cop had any ill intent and I can only imagine how fucked up he is over it.

I’m not sure I agree with such a large settlement, but the officer was in the wrong and killed someone. The dept absolutely should have to pay for their fuck up. 

but it was only pot. not like they were sex trafficking or running guns

Growing cannabis = criminal activity 

Criminal activity = militarized police force intrusion + execution 

Yeah, that looks like a sound legal system to me. 

clattymine -

Good post

I think there is just an incredible lack of experience all around on this one. Sure, go ahead and ask the initial suspect if there is anyone else in the house, ask if there are weapons, ask if there are kids, but no matter what she says you are going to search it anyway. 
An ND on a dude hiding behind a door is just bad, I’m guessing the Officer has not searched too many houses or been on many warrants.

mjsalmon -

I think there is just an incredible lack of experience all around on this one. Sure, go ahead and ask the initial suspect if there is anyone else in the house, ask if there are weapons, ask if there are kids, but no matter what she says you are going to search it anyway. 
An ND on a dude hiding behind a door is just bad, I’m guessing the Officer has not searched too many houses or been on many warrants.

Says he was a 16 year vet. Maybe he was new to that team but seems unlikely. 

mjsalmon -

a lot of truth to what you said. You have to have the right mind set to search as if you are going to find somebody. If you dont take it serious then you wont see what is there and if you do see them it will suprise the fuck out of you. 

WhenI went to LAPD felony apprehension  the instructor says  " be a big boy, get your gun out and get it ready and search with the intent to find someone. If there is room for a human body then check it and check it good. !

At some point during the search it will slow down. That is when you call out for a secondary search . Then you check everything in the house in an organized methodic With every inch of the structure, somebody is accountable for the search in that space. then you call out secure for every room. Under beds, under piles of dirty laundry, under a pile of insulation in the attic, in a box, in a trash can etc.... 

all of those are examples of where I have found people hiding. It does not take long to go to a pre-thought out hiding place.especially if it is knock and announce like that one was. I found a dude that was under a hollowed out couch. I found him. And when I did, i was NOT oh shit fuck,,,, because I look with focus and the expectation that someone WILL be there. Then I tell him DONT MOVE, ROLL ONTO YOUR STOMACH< IF YOU PULL A WEAPON I WILL KILL YOU!  A lot of times they will shit themselves.  

That team leader saying look over there , now here. wtf was that. ? 

and the chick cop pointing the sub gun shouldered at the door lol lol lol lol. whaddya think she is going to do if someone comes up and slings the door open. or kicks it.? Ill tell ya, the same thing as the other dude. she probably gonna let rip with a 3-7 round burst. lol