Cops to become an even MORE protected class!

If this isn't a complete abuse and misuse of hate crime laws, I don't know what is.  Cops are already protected and committing a crime against them has more severe punishments than committing the same crime against a regular person. Now cops are being grouped in with the homos, trannies, and tards?  Well...in a way I guess that part of it is fitting....

Louisiana governor set to sign 'Blue Lives Matter' bill Thursday

Louisiana’s governor is expected to sign a first-of-its-kind bill Thursday afternoon that would make it a hate crime to target police officers and first responders.

Called the “Blue Lives Matter” bill, the measure expands the state’s hate crime law to include law enforcement officers, firefighters and other emergency medical services personnel.

“I thought it was critical that we add protections for the people that protect us,” state Rep. Lance Harris, a Republican, told FoxNews.com.

Harris authored the bill after the murder of Darren Goforth, a 47-year-old Texas sheriff who was gunned down at a gas station “because he wore a uniform.”

The gunman approached Goforth, a 10-year veteran of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, from behind unloading bullets into him even after the officer fell to the ground.

In many states like Louisiana, there are existing laws covering bias-motivated crimes against people based on their gender, race, religion and sexual orientation.

Under Louisiana’s new measure, anyone convicted of a hate crime-related felony could face up to an additional $5,000 fine and five years behind bars. For a misdemeanor, the punishment comes with a $500 fine and an additional six-month prison sentence.  

The “Blue Lives Matter” bill easily passed both state legislative houses.

Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards is expected to sign the bill into law Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET, his office confirmed to FoxNews.com.

“The members of the law enforcement community deserve these protections, and I look forward to signing this bill into law,” the governor had previously said in a statement.

But not everyone is on board. The Louisiana chapter of the Black Youth Project 100has purportedly called on the governor to veto the bill.

Other critics like the Anti-Defamation League have also come out against the bill, arguing that providing protections to law enforcement under the “hate crime” statute is counterproductive.

“Adding professional categories to the current Hate Crimes statute deters efforts from protecting against identity-based crimes,” Anti-Defamation League Regional Director Allison Padilla-Goodman said in a written release. “We are not happy that it is being signed into law.”

In a letter to Edwards, Padilla-Goodman said the bill “confuses the purpose of the Hate Crimes Act.” She also said it “weakens its impact by adding more categories of people who are already better protected under other laws.”

Padilla-Goodman argues that hate crime legislation was created to protect people from discrimination against race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity and gender identity.

“Proving the bias intent is very different for these categories than it is for the bias intent of a crime against a law enforcement officer,” she wrote.

Emails to the Black Youth Project 100 were not immediately returned.

so people are shooting cops out of hate and these should not be treated as hate crimes?

But all lives matter! Phone Post 3.0

yomamafool - so people are shooting cops out of hate and these should not be treated as hate crimes?

So is the designation "cop" a race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or gender identity?  Which category does "cop fall under?   Again, I understand the homo, tranny, tard, categories but I still think it's a misapplication of the law. 

If you hate chickens and go out and shoot one, is it a hate crime?

hate crime legislation was created to protect people from discrimination against race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity and gender identity.

Over the last 5 years there has not been a single group/occupation that has come under as much attack as police officers.  The spike in homicides over the last year in Chicago and elsewhere is largely attributed to police officers shying away from intervention, due to the unjustified backlash they will likely receive from certain members of the community.

I, for one, welcome this bill and hope that police officer receive FAR more support and protection than what I have seen them get lately.

CanadaDry - 

Over the last 5 years there has not been a single group/occupation that has come under as much attack as police officers.  The spike in homicides over the last year in Chicago and elsewhere is largely attributed to police officers shying away from intervention, due to the unjustified backlash they will likely receive from certain members of the community.

I, for one, welcome this bill and hope that police officer receive FAR more support and protection than what I have seen them get lately.

again, they are already a very strongly protected class.  The penalties for committing crimes against them are more severe than for committing the same crimes against a non cop, they are also protected in the judicial system and are almost always presumed to be telling the truth.  An accusation from a cop is given far more weight than an accusation from a regular person.  As a matter of fact, a simple accusation from a cop is, in many cases, treated as absolute evidence and proof against the accused.  

Cops are already a protected class.  But hey, I'm all for lumping them in with the pole smokers, trannies, and intellectually disabled.  

"certain members of the community"

Are you afraid to be more specific? This is the OG, you're safe here. Phone Post 3.0

angryinch -
yomamafool - so people are shooting cops out of hate and these should not be treated as hate crimes?

So is the designation "cop" a race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or gender identity?  Which category does "cop fall under?   Again, I understand the homo, tranny, tard, categories but I still think it's a misapplication of the law. 

hate crime legislation was created to protect people from discrimination against race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity and gender identity.

Lawmakers probably didn't realize that segments of the population could also have enough hate for a particular occupation that they would go around executing them.

Now that it has happened several times (and according to you, several times no longer qualifies it as being "isolated" incident - correct?) something has to be done to address it.  

ksacs revenge - "certain members of the community"

Are you afraid to be more specific? This is the OG, you're safe here. Phone Post 3.0

It has nothign to do with fear, it has to do with the fact that there is more than one fraction that is prone to backlash and identifiying all of them doesn't add anything to the conversation, does it?

angryinch -
CanadaDry - 

again, they are already a very strongly protected class.  The penalties for committing crimes against them are more severe than for committing the same crimes against a non cop, they are also protected in the judicial system and are almost always presumed to be telling the truth.  An accusation from a cop is given far more weight than an accusation from a regular person.  As a matter of fact, a simple accusation from a cop is, in many cases, treated as absolute evidence and proof against the accused.  

Cops are already a protected class.  But hey, I'm all for lumping them in with the pole smokers, trannies, and intellectually disabled.  

Again, they have come under attack more than any other group over the last 5 years, some of them were executed due to their occupation.  Whether they were a protected group or not, I for one welcome more protection.

CanadaDry - 
angryinch -

Lawmakers probably didn't realize that segments of the population could also have enough hate for a particular occupation that they would go around executing them.

Now that it has happened several times (and according to you, several times no longer qualifies it as being "isolated" incident - correct?) something has to be done to address it.  

Cops shoot hundreds, if not thousands of dogs a year.  They also commit plenty of other crimes while on duty thousands of times a year.  Those are not isolated incidents.

The few cops who have been targeted just for being cops are a tiny tiny number.  Those are genuinely isolated incidents.  When the numbers reach thousands, then we can talk about them not being isolated incidents. 

I don't mind it. I don't plan on attacking a cop so it won't have an impact on me.

The question I have is why pass a new law? There are already specific charges for hurting or killing a cop. Why not just make the possible sentence tied to laws that already exist more harsh rather than pass a new separate law to get the same end result.

I don't mind it I just don't understand the Avenue. Phone Post 3.0

angryinch -
CanadaDry - 
angryinch -

Cops shoot hundreds, if not thousands of dogs a year.  They also commit plenty of other crimes while on duty thousands of times a year.  Those are not isolated incidents.

The few cops who have been targeted just for being cops are a tiny tiny number.  Those are genuinely isolated incidents.  When the numbers reach thousands, then we can talk about them not being isolated incidents. 

Would you classify cops shooting and killing innocent people as isolated incidences or not?  What about beating innocent people?

CanadaDry - 
angryinch -
CanadaDry - 

Again, they have come under attack more than any other group over the last 5 years, some of them were executed due to their occupation.  Whether they were a protected group or not, I for one welcome more protection.

Utter and absolute horseshit.

Don't believe me?  Go look it up.  https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2016

There is no "war on cops" over the last 5 years.  Stop lying.

Number of cops killed by year:

2016- 38

2015- 128

2014- 136

2013- 120

2012 - 138

2011- 180

That's the last 5 years including 2016.  Shall I continue to previous years?  Sure, sit down, pay attention, and learn to keep your snout shut if you're planning on spewing lies.

2010- 177  (hrmm...based on your post, one would expect the number to be in low double digits...)

2009- 140  (hrmm...miraculously, higher than four out of the last five years)

2008- 161  (wow!!  how'd that happen?)

2007- 204  (uh oh....starting to look pretty bad for you)

2006- 161

Do I need to go on or are you done with your lies?  The fact is that in the last five years, cop deaths have actually DECLINED compared to the previous five years.

So... now when you murder a cop you get an extra 5 years? Very useful.

And when you assault one they just have 5 more years and 5 grand more to plea bargain with.

Been assaulted many times on duty, every single one was used as plea bargain chips.

CanadaDry -
ksacs revenge - "certain members of the community"

It has nothign to do with fear, it has to do with the fact that there is more than one fraction that is prone to backlash and identifiying all of them doesn't add anything to the conversation, does it?

It might. I'd be interested in these fractions you're talking about. Is 1/5 cool or a backlasher? Phone Post 3.0

Dogs?

What the fuck are you talking about dogs for??

You're derailing your own thread. Phone Post 3.0

CanadaDry - 
angryinch -
CanadaDry - 
angryinch -

Would you classify cops shooting and killing innocent people as isolated incidences or not?  What about beating innocent people?

I'll tell you what are not isolated incidents - excessive use of force by cops.  Cops deliberately escalating situations so that they can justify using force, when the situation could have easily been handled without force. Cops violating people's constitutional rights.  Cops getting caught in blatant lies and their departments covering for them.  Cops making up false allegations to justify arresting people who did nothing wrong.  Cops stealing people's money, possessions, etc... at gunpoint.  Cops abusing and misusing their authority.  Police corruption. And yes, cops shooting and beating people who should not have been shot or beaten.  These things are not isolated incidents. 

These threads are a great reminder of your staggering ignorance. Phone Post 3.0

Icy Mike - 

So... now when you murder a cop you get an extra 5 years? Very useful.

And when you assault one they just have 5 more years and 5 grand more to plea bargain with.

Been assaulted many times on duty, every single one was used as plea bargain chips.

Hey man, anyone with the mindset to kill a cop is obviously going to be worried about an extra 5 years in jail......