Cormier Believes Gaethje has earned next UFC lightweight Title Shot

UFC commentator Daniel Cormier believes that Justin Gaethje has earned the next UFC lightweight title shot over his teammate Islam Makhachev.

Cormier and Gaethje recently got into it on social media after “The Highlight” accused DC of being biased during his commentary for the recent Makhachev vs. Dan Hooker fight. Following that match, which Makhachev won in an impressive fashion, Cormier suggested that he should be next in line to fight for the belt, and Gaethje felt that he was biased since they are teammates at American Kickboxing Academy (AKA). However, it now appears that DC has changed his tune and is now supporting Gaethje for the title shot.
Following UFC 268, where Gaethje picked up an incredible win over Michael Chandler in a “Fight of the Year” candidate, DC admitted that he is now the top contender at 155lbs and should be next in line to fight the winner of UFC 269’s Charles Oliviera vs. Dustin Poirier.

“Chandler came out throwing everything with 100 percent power, but Gaethje was just there and landing, answering and just really doing his thing. That whole thing with Justin Gaethje last weekend, I said what I felt and he took offense. But all week, not one second was Justin Gaethje mad at me, upset or approached me in an angry way,” Cormier said on his YouTube channel (via MMAjunkie.com). “He spoke about it in that moment, and you know what? Last night he went out there and did what he had to do in order to ensure that he keeps his championship fight, because he fought Michael Chandler and beat Michael Chandler – a very trained, well-prepared Michael Chandler. So hat’s off to Justin Gaethje, and honestly, I believe that he will be the guy to fight for the belt next.”

A win against a guy who is now 1-2 in the UFC. DC is using WMMA logic.

3 Likes

I disagree. Gaethje vs Benny next, Islam v winner of Dustin/Do Bronx

1 Like

Islam should get the next crack honestly. Hes on a long ass win streak & secured a top 10 win. Justin 1-1.

Chandler is good. And his loss was to the Champ who he almost knocked out and against Gaethje who he had hurt.

2 Likes

Chandler is good, but in the gatekeeper kind of way. He reminds me of Vitor Belfort, if he can’t get the finish in the first few minutes, he gasses out and isn’t as dangerous.

Dariush and Makhachev should be in the conversation.

1 Like

I hate to say this but I would like to see Gaethje and his T-Rex arms against McGregor.

1 Like

Justin does deserve the title shot over Islam because he has fought better competition to earn it . Islam has a great win streak going but his best win is vs hooker .

2 Likes

Chandler is like conor, 2min dangerous af, but only one of them breaks

Islam needs to build a name before headlining.

Needs to fight a name, not for a title, IMO.

More interesting to see the scramble for the title before he holds it IMO.

If he’s anywhere near as good as Khabib he will easily beat Dustin and Gaetje and hold the title soon enough.

Not sure if he has Khabibs Michael Myers-ness though.

That ability to walk guys down and take their best shots while still coming forward.

The most impressed I ever was with Khabib was the way he completely walked through Conors handfighting tactics. Even Floyd had to adjust to deal with that.

Khabib just said fuck that nonsense I’m fucking you up, and walked through it.

1 Like

He is on a tear but Justin has beaten big names. Islam only beat 1 really big name in Hooker. Let Islam fight for the title after Justin

I like Chandlers style but he won’t be fight much longer if he doesn’t make some adjustments. I appreciate his go for broke style though, that why he gets the big bucks and the big fights

2 Likes