Cormier: It's about the title, not beating Jones

Oontyex - 
Spinning Shit -
Submissable - It's should never be about the belt completely. It's about being the best. This mentality is what delayed May vs Paq and many other fights. Do you wanna know how good you are? Do you want to know how you stack up against your equal? If you can dig for that little extra to beat someone with more skill than you? Fuck the belt. The belt goes on your mantel to look at. What do you see in the mirror? Phone Post 3.0
I think that his logic is that "I can only fight the people who are available". Jon Jones isn't his white whale, he wants to be champion.

It's why Lawler isn't complaining about GSP being gone, you strive to be the Champion and can only beat the people that stand between you and that goal. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

All we ever heard here was how Hendricks was a paper champion because he didn't beat GSP for the belt (even though he actually did).

Funny how opinions change based on the popularity of the fighter involved.

ImABadPanda - 
TheBigRedOne -
Technical Primates - 

'It won't mean any less not winning it off Jones'

Oh but it will DC, it certainly will. 

Just like the title didn't mean anything for Holyfield to win it off of Buster Douglas, as opposed to Mike Tyson.
Not the same you dope! Buster Douglas legitimately won that title! Jones got stripped! He's still the real champ, still the best LHW! FACT! Phone Post 3.0

Boom.

Plus Jones has already beaten DC. If they had never fought before it wouldn't be as big a deal but as we all saw Jones handled DC with relative ease.

Cormier is saying all the right things but he's a real competitor, he'll know deep down that he can't consider himself the real champ until he beats Jones.

I'm with you DC. I would say the same thing in your position.

Unfortunately the belt is a symbol. It should mean that you are the best.

Money is a symbol for a certain value agreed upon by the people of the world. But during a zombie apocalypse that same money might be worth nothing.

If DC wins the belt it will be a zombie apocalypse belt. Phone Post

Kinda lost respect for DC now. Man up dude. Im rooting for Rumble now. Shitttt....

Fat boy will never beat jones he was dominated rematch the same result would happen Phone Post 3.0

I'm pretty sure he said the exact opposite in the lead up.

Jake95 - I'm pretty sure he said the exact opposite in the lead up.
Yes Phone Post 3.0

No. If I was to fight for the belt I would want it to be the man who won it and defended it. Jones is that man. Yes I'd take the shot but I'd want it different.

Submissable - It's should never be about the belt completely. It's about being the best. This mentality is what delayed May vs Paq and many other fights. Do you wanna know how good you are? Do you want to know how you stack up against your equal? If you can dig for that little extra to beat someone with more skill than you? Fuck the belt. The belt goes on your mantel to look at. What do you see in the mirror? Phone Post 3.0

photo angry-dwight_zpsia5syexp.gif

Say what you will DC, but to hold that belt and know JBJ is still better than you kind of diminishes that waist trinket somewhat.

To be the champ says you are the best; and you really won't be.

Whoever wins is NOT the real champ! Phone Post 3.0

Just means it is about the money. Rumble wants to beat Jones to win the belt because he wants that sense of pride and accomplishment. DC just wants to say he held the belt regardless of being the best. For that reason I would like to see Rumble win.

Unfortunately for him when the real champion comes back and avenges his loss against rumble he will hold it for a long time...watch. Phone Post 3.0

TwentyNineTwentyEight - 

I don't believe him.

They should just put an asterisk on the belt. No matter what happens win lose or draw. DC lost to jones and Johnson never fought him. DC wins = getting rewarded for just losing to the champ Phone Post 3.0

dipsheet -
Submissable - It's should never be about the belt completely. It's about being the best. This mentality is what delayed May vs Paq and many other fights. Do you wanna know how good you are? Do you want to know how you stack up against your equal? If you can dig for that little extra to beat someone with more skill than you? Fuck the belt. The belt goes on your mantel to look at. What do you see in the mirror? Phone Post 3.0

photo angry-dwight_zpsia5syexp.gif
Does my post come off angry or something?

And why are some of you ignoring the first thing I said. Obviously the belt is an important accomplishment and symbol. But what happened to the guys who got into it to be the best? This isn't GSP retiring. This is someone being stripped and suspended and the #2 feeling he doesn't care as long as media calls him the champ for a year till Jones comes back and takes it. Congrats, it really is a big accomplishment and a story to be able to relive throughout your life. But what happened to "I can lick any man in this bar" (although it's ironic I use that line since its originator ducked black fighters). Maybe I have the wrong idea of what fighters should be like and it's even more of a business than a testing ground anymore and growing in that direction more everyday. That's fine but I don't have to like it. My favorite fighters will never be the ones who are only in it for the gold and not to beat the best. Fortunately there are still some of those warriors out there who do want to see who's the best on earth at their weight. I just wish those that didn't wouldn't own up to it. At least keep the facade going like the BS pre fight trash talk. My .02 Phone Post 3.0

AndyWangPainTrain - No matter what, it's Jon's own doing that got his title taken away. Being the best means being the best in and out of the sport, and he obviously can't do one of those things, so the title having "no legitimacy" is bullshit. Phone Post 3.0

C'mon man, do you really believe that being the best means you have to be the best both inside and outside the sport?? Since when? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

All about that cake and chicken baby, my kinda champ!

what happened to finding your equal and all that other bull shit.

i think he will prove he is the second best fighter in the lhw division though for sure

cg51mma - 
Submissable - It's should never be about the belt completely. It's about being the best. This mentality is what delayed May vs Paq and many other fights. Do you wanna know how good you are? Do you want to know how you stack up against your equal? If you can dig for that little extra to beat someone with more skill than you? Fuck the belt. The belt goes on your mantel to look at. What do you see in the mirror? Phone Post 3.0
The belt comes with a lot more money in Mma, so it is silly to have a fuck the belt mentality. Phone Post 3.0

no one is saying to say that exactly though. or that these guy shouldnt fight.

they should just acknowledge that its for a interim/substitute/consolation belt.

dont try and push you are the best fighter in that division just cause you have that non title title because technically thats not true. if d.c. wins its a fact thats not true.