Coronavirus found in air samples up to 13 feet

Coronavirus found in air samples up to 13 feet from patients

![](upload://81YbhJneRVltNft8qUMxBtGe2tF.png)

AFPApril 10, 2020

![A team tested surface and air samples from an intensive care unit and a general COVID-19 ward at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, housing a total of 24 patients, between February 19 and March 2](upload://qihe2Lqmnwi6X5ER4k7WFSNCGmx.jpeg)![A team tested surface and air samples from an intensive care unit and a general COVID-19 ward at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, housing a total of 24 patients, between February 19 and March 2](upload://qihe2Lqmnwi6X5ER4k7WFSNCGmx.jpeg)

A team tested surface and air samples from an intensive care unit and a general COVID-19 ward at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, housing a total of 24 patients, between February 19 and March 2 (AFP Photo/STR)

More

Washington (AFP) - A new study examining air samples from hospital wards with COVID-19 patients has found the virus can travel up to 13 feet (four meters) -- twice the distance current guidelines say people should leave between themselves in public.

The preliminary results of the investigation by Chinese researchers were published Friday in Emerging Infectious Diseases, a journal of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

They add to a growing debate on how the disease is transmitted, with the scientists themselves cautioning that the small quantities of virus they found at this distance are not necessarily infectious.

The researchers, led by a team at the Academy of Military Medical Sciences in Beijing, tested surface and air samples from an intensive care unit and a general COVID-19 ward at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan. They housed a total of 24 patients between February 19 and March 2.

They found that the virus was most heavily concentrated on the floors of the wards, "perhaps because of gravity and air flow causing most virus droplets to float to the ground."

High levels were also found on frequently touched surfaces like computer mice, trashcans, bed rails and door knobs.

"Furthermore, half of the samples from the soles of the ICU medical staff shoes tested positive," the team wrote. "Therefore, the soles of medical staff shoes might function as carriers."

- Airborne threat? -

The team also looked at so-called aerosol transmission -- when the droplets of the virus are so fine they become suspended and remain airborne for several hours, unlike cough or sneeze droplets that fall to the ground within seconds.

They found that virus-laden aerosols were mainly concentrated near and downstream from patients at up to 13 feet -- though smaller quantities were found upstream, up to eight feet.

Encouragingly, no members of the hospital staff were infected, "indicating that appropriate precautions could effectively prevent infection," the authors wrote.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-found-air-samples-13-feet-patients-231032581.html

1 Like

and yet the virus never saw a single case in beijing or any other major chinese mega hub

hmmm

6 Likes

But it doesn't mean it can affect you at this distance - viral load matters.

2 Likes

Maybe you should all panic some more. That seems to be making things so much better.

8 Likes

Yup.  Shit lingers in the air.  Wear a mask idiots.

1 Like
Road Warrior Fin -

This is why you wear cloth over your face.  #allloadsmatter

2 Likes
BigEyedFish -

and yet the virus never saw a single case in beijing or any other major chinese mega hub

hmmm

I didnt vote you down, mate. But, they've had 500 cases and 8 deaths 

1 Like
Road Warrior Fin -

I know this is a stupid question, but I have zero science background....

What exactly is viral load and why does it matter? I always thought if you were infected with something it multiplies in your cells anyway so regardless of how much you were in contact with you still either have it or not?

Is that not how viruses are? 

Road Warrior Fin -

Browny85 - 
BigEyedFish -

hmmm

I didnt vote you down, mate. But, they've had 500 cases and 8 deaths 

hmm I thought china said no cases there my mistake

500/8 is still BS tho 

#fuckchina 

Yossarian -
Road Warrior Fin -

I know this is a stupid question, but I have zero science background....

What exactly is viral load and why does it matter? I always thought if you were infected with something it multiplies in your cells anyway so regardless of how much you were in contact with you still either have it or not?

Is that not how viruses are? 

No. When the virus hits your body kicks off an immune reaction pretty quickly. It becomes a race between virus and your body. How much you get hit with initially correlates with whether it takes hold at all and how bad the case is if it does take hold. 

2 Likes

damn, i got within 11'3" of a stranger today

Has been known for a while now if you follow the research.

Its amazing that only one province in China was ever effected and then spread to the rest of the world, but no other provinces in China really.

It's almost unbelievable.

1 Like
CavemanDave -

Its amazing that only one province in China was ever effected and then spread to the rest of the world, but no other provinces in China really.

They flattened the curve bro 

Take someone who can’t swim at all --a quadriplegic for example. They are 100% vulnerable and will easily drown in water.

Put that person into an empty pool and splash them with a bucket of water, and they are still at ZERO risk for drowning.

Splash them with a few thousand bucket of water and they will drown.

1 Like

They were spraying shit in the air in China back in January so no shit it's airborne.  They were also spraying the streets.   So we'll be doing that next week too.  

1 Like
Positive Energy -
CavemanDave -

They flattened the curve bro 

I know.  If I didnt know better I would think they were lying about this!

Study was done in a covid care unit. Aka rooms where nothing but covid infected patients are. Yea I could see the virus being everywhere IN THE ROOM WHERE THEY HAVE TO STAY IN AND ONCE THEY LEAVE THE NEXT ONE TAKES IT’S SPOT....

1 Like
shen - Take someone who can't swim at all --a quadriplegic for example. They are 100% vulnerable and will easily drown in water.

Put that person into an empty pool and splash them with a bucket of water, and they are still at ZERO risk for drowning.

Splash them with a few thousand bucket of water and they will drown.

How big are the buckets?