Coronavirus Good News Thread

I'm tired or reading all the doom and gloom on this disease, its really starting to wear on my optimism.  What are some positive things you're hearing about the pandemic?

Sounds like the Federal government is cutting through a ton of red tape and helping to get things done faster.  Heard Gov. Abbot of Tx say things that used to take months are taking a day.

I saw Dr. Oz (I know) say the warmer weather will increase the size of covid19 molecules and make them harder to transmit.  He said he thinks things will start to go back to normal and "we'll be able to go back in the water by June"

What are you hearing and focusing on?

5 Likes

Things are going great!

https://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Voluntary_Human_Extinction_Movement

NO TRAFFIC. My work commute is fucking great as it's been cut down in half from an hour to 30 min. FUCK YES.

2 Likes

"Apple has reopened its 42 retail stores in China, after closures to counteract the spread of COVID-19""

"Wuhan – the Chinese city where the virus originated – reported fewer than 10 new cases for the second day in a row on Friday, while no locally-transmitted contractions of the virus were reported in the rest of China."

Meanwhile our headlines...

"A startling new report from Imperial College London warns that 2.2 million Americans and 510,000 Britons could die from coronavirus."

--

So China is good to go, stores are opening, few new cases are coming in, but 2.2 million Americans are going to DIE and we will need to implement 18 months of social distancing (according to the article).

Did we get a fucking zombie'ed up strain of the virus, how are they back buying IMACs but we are all going to die?

I hear we're getting free money from the gov. Anything over 1k and I can stretch another couple of months before I need to plug back in to society. 

jcblass - "Apple has reopened its 42 retail stores in China, after closures to counteract the spread of COVID-19""

"Wuhan – the Chinese city where the virus originated – reported fewer than 10 new cases for the second day in a row on Friday, while no locally-transmitted contractions of the virus were reported in the rest of China."

"A startling new report from Imperial College London warns that 2.2 million Americans and 510,000 Britons could die from coronavirus."

--

So China is good to go, stores are opening, few new cases are coming in, but 2.2 million Americans are going to DIE and we will need to implement 18 months of social distancing (according to the article).

Did we get a fucking zombie'ed up strain of the virus, how are they back buying IMACs but we are all going to die?

believe none of what you hear and 10% of what you see from anything coming out of russia or china.

EFM -
jcblass - "Apple has reopened its 42 retail stores in China, after closures to counteract the spread of COVID-19""

--

believe none of what you hear and 10% of what you see from anything coming out of russia or china.

Thats not very good news

EFM - 

--

I agree but I can offer some insight.

I have a friend who is a regional manager of a business that provides educational tools and programs to the school systems across the country.  Their products are produced in Wuhan and the offices there have been shut down for the last month and a half.  They are getting the materials needed now but are having to store it in warehouses because schools here are shutting down.  So there is some truth to production opening back up.

The first Covid-19 Vaccine in the United States was administered to Jennifer Haller from Seattle. She said her arm feels better after the injection compared to how it felt with the Flu shot. 

Keep in mind this is the first human trial in the United States and further research and testing will have to be conducted. But, this is a start in the right direction. Oh, and btw I don’t remember a possible Vaccine being created and tested on a human subject so fast? 

A guy in China sent my company 2 boxes of face masks after hearing about the panic-buying.

1 Like

I'm going to go stand in line for a hotdog

Mind One Two - 

A guy in China sent my company 2 boxes of face masks after hearing about the panic-buying.

Lol 

2 weeks later

M.O.T. local news - 500 new Corona cases all from one employer

1 Like

Making people realize something they should already know. Health is way more important than work. Yeah we all should work and pay our way, but in the grand scheme it's not the definition of life.

Also a hard lesson for people that could have an emergency fund, but waste all their money on bullshit so they don't. Don't upgrade to the latest iphone and big screen TV, save your cash.

A grain of salt regarding any statements from Wuhan and China. We need to wait and see how things go in South Korea, which I'm pretty optimistic about.

1 Like

In

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200317_48/?fbclid=IwAR0s2KOHr8pfbvZaN8TQiMHYdxQDZp8gfr2IukNPiLHn8aOnFNIXFtZ4FVg

China: Avigan effective in tackling coronavirus

the tests were conducted in the cities of Wuhan and Shenzhen and involved 240 patients and 80 patients respectively.

He said those who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, while it took a median of 11 days for those without the drug.

The trial also found that X-ray photos confirmed improvements in lung conditions in about 91 percent of the patients who were given the medicine. The number stood at 62 percent for those without the drug.

The director said the drug is highly safe and its effect is obvious, and formally recommend the use of the medicine as a way to tackle the virus.

A Chinese firm that has licensed the drug from its Japanese developers got government approval last month to mass-produce the medication.

--

The good news in regards to that report is that those estimated number of deaths are simulated based on conditions, where no interventions are inplemented and everyone keeps going about their business. Simulations with social distancing measures (esp. lockdown/quarantine) and providing surge resources to medical and intensive care facilities showed (much) lower estimated deaths. Those simulation studies in the report is what made the UK and many other countries (likely the white house too) backpedal on the herd-immunity/business-mostly-as-usual policy approach.

Senate plans to vote on relief package on Wednesday as Trump tweets reassurances.

The Senate on Wednesday plans to take up the coronavirus relief package approved by the House last week, which would provide paid leave, enhanced unemployment benefits, free coronavirus testing and food and health care aid.

While some conservatives said they were unhappy with the bill, Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, counseled his members on Tuesday to “gag and vote for it anyway.”

“This is a time for urgent bipartisan action, and in this case, I do not believe we should let perfection be the enemy of something that will help even a subset of workers,” Mr. McConnell said on the Senate floor Wednesday morning, adding that he would vote for the legislation.

KingMartyrJack - 
jcblass - "Apple has reopened its 42 retail stores in China, after closures to counteract the spread of COVID-19""

--

They were in complete absolute lockdown for 3 months.... Not that easy to figure out. that it stopped spreading.

If we do that here for 3 months we'll be fine.

But we won't because 'Murica and shit...

yeah but lets hope that we dont have to for 3 months because of responsible social distancing earlier than what happened in China and Italy. 

I dont think we should take our cues from China. They are liars.  

Looking at the South Korean model is the best way.   They arent filthy scourges of the planet.  

great thread BTW