Cortisone Injection for Herniated Disc??

I have 2 herniated discs between C6-C7-C8. I've had them and managed the pain and strength loss from the initial injury in 2003.

Somehow I re-aggravated the injury two weeks ago and the pain is really bad. Has anyone gotten an epidural steroid injection (cortisone shot) for pain relief from this injury? Does it relieve any pain or no? I'm willing to do it even if it relieves 10% of my pain

Any advice is appreciated Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

I had it done twice, for one herniated disk. My first shot made me feel a lot better. I had another shot about 3 months during which I could do more in physical therapy. The second one fixed me so well it felt almost magical. I don't want to raise your expectations too much because I am sure experiences vary but mine was very positive.

Make sure it is a good place that does it and that they use a live x ray so they can see in real time exactly where the needle goes and where the fluid goes. Good luck. Phone Post 3.0

Permanent pain cure by ming chew. Amazing book that helps a ton Phone Post

fuck i hate needles... Very best of luck to you sir

Get surgery.

My surgery options are spinal fusion, or they can shave down my discs so that it won't push into the nerve; neither of which I want to do.

Any other experiences with cortisone? I hear its hit or miss and my doctor is saying that it won't make a difference. WTF Phone Post 3.0

had 4 shots I think. DIdnt solve the problem, but made it much more managable. Think if I rested instead of trained, it would have been even better

We'll forgive you if you don't fight, lil nog. Just get better. Phone Post 3.0

kungfugrip - had 4 shots I think. DIdnt solve the problem, but made it much more managable. Think if I rested instead of trained, it would have been even better
How long after each shot did you notice pain relief? A few days?

How long between each shot? Phone Post 3.0

c4/c5 here. Shots made my life bearable. I was in incredible pain with weakness and numbness in one arm. After the first shot, the arm pain was gone. I could move my neck again and it was nowhere near as painful.

By the way, they go through the front of your neck to give you the shots.

I'd say it relieved 65-70% of my pain if I had to put a number on it.

Best wishes.

MMA Playwrite - c4/c5 here. Shots made my life bearable. I was in incredible pain with weakness and numbness in one arm. After the first shot, the arm pain was gone. I could move my neck again and it was nowhere near as painful.

By the way, they go through the front of your neck to give you the shots.

I'd say it relieved 65-70% of my pain if I had to put a number on it.

Best wishes.
Thanks for the info! I know it won't solve the problem. In just trying to manage the pain.

I see my PCP today. Hopefully they aren't trying to cut costs like always Phone Post 3.0

It made mine totally manageable. It took going to three surgeons before one said to give it a try (the first two said that surgery was the way to go). I'm so glad I gave it a shot, so to speak.

They put me under to give me the injection and when I woke up from the first one, the incredible pain relief was immediately noticeable.

Interested to hear about this myself.

I have herniated discs L4-L5 and L5-S1. 9mm and 12mm bulges.

Spine doc said surgery is last resort, and if PT didn't help after 2-3 months, then there isn't really anything I can do.

He said an injection or epidural won't do anything because there are no nerves being pressed in my case.

Lots of the pain is arthritis setting in, so I've just been trying to get back into lifting by going very light and focusing on linear progression.

Wife has L5 issues from previous squats and deadlifts. Was pretty much bed ridden for about a week and decided to get the shots.<br /><br />Dr. advised that she may need a round of 3 shots (1 ever 3 weeks depending how well her body responds). 1st shot allowed her to start walking without any pain. 2nd shot allowed her to do much more. She still feels numbness in her leg, but the shots made everything much more bareable. <br /><br />If its that bad then it is worth a try. My wife is a tough chick, and I have never seen her in that much pain (even after 2 kids).<br /><br />On a side note, I have been taking shots in my ankle for gout for about 4 years. Even if it it is not nerve relate cortison shots are designed to reduce inflammation. I am no spine Dr., but surgery should be the last resort not a cortisone shot.

For normal people I say go for it. For athletes I say avoid as the tendency is to train harder and earlier. This makes things worse. Short term gain leading to long term pain. Phone Post 3.0

Had my second c6-7 injection about a month ago. The first provided about 25% reduction in pain. So far the second has helped a little but not much. Haven't decided about a third yet.

I have had 30+ of these injections over the course of 12 years.

Some have been great, pain will subside within days. Some did nothing.

Make sure you have a good doctor perform it. If they sedate you, I would pass. I have never had a good experience when sedated or put in "twilight".

I have herniations in my lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine.

I found a good neurosurgeon that listened to my concerns and has treated me accordingly.

Do NOT start taking opiates, they will only intensify your pain as you recover. They took years out of my life.

Avoid fusion until you cant avoid it anymore. I was told 10 years ago that my lumbar needed to be fused.

You will get contradicting info from different docs. Always get a second opinion.

I had lower back issues my whole life off and on. When I started training Mma/BJJ about 8 years ago, it got really bad. Had an MRI and found out I had a bulging disc l4/l5. Doc told me my pain was my limit as far as training goes. Some day I would do 2 a days and other times I was laid up for a week or more. Had the first of what was going to be three epidural injections then was potentially going to have surgery. As my core strength got better and better, so did my back. I also worked on a lot of stretching. In about a year or so my back was pretty much pain free. It has been good ever since EXCEPT when my core strength starts slipping. Thank jah I never had surgery!!!
I know this will not work for everyone...BUT..since all of this I really believe that so many more people could become pain free if they just did the proper stretching and strength training. I don't mean doing some crunches, I mean get with a really good trainer/program and strengthen that shit up! Hope my experience is helpful to someone! Best wishes! Phone Post

Ttt for good information.