Cortisone Injection for Herniated Disc??

My ACL never healed properly and my back hurts. Phone Post

Ive had 2 surgeries
microdiscectomy and a fusion

I did shots also before the surgeries but they all went in through the back of my neck
3 and nothing helped

Ive seen other people with hernias and surgeries and they look and train great

It seems I am not one of those people

I am 2 months off from my fusion

Malachy Friedman - Ive had 2 surgeries
microdiscectomy and a fusion

I did shots also before the surgeries but they all went in through the back of my neck
3 and nothing helped

Ive seen other people with hernias and surgeries and they look and train great

It seems I am not one of those people

I am 2 months off from my fusion

Keep plugging away bro! I'm sure it will get better and better as your body gets more and more used to things. Are you still doing PRP? Phone Post

thanks deuce
no prp right now
Im pretty much in the healing phase right now
and I am having less spasms
I try and separate different procedures so I know whats doing what
so ill give this 6 months before I attempt anything else

Malachy Friedman - thanks deuce
no prp right now
Im pretty much in the healing phase right now
and I am having less spasms
I try and separate different procedures so I know whats doing what
so ill give this 6 months before I attempt anything else

Best wishes bro!! The MMA game may be far fetched at this point, but no doubt you will be back to kicking ass on the mats before you know it! Phone Post

Went to my PCP. They were really hesitant on a cortisone injection because it could get infected, and it's likely to damage my spine.

They talked me into using an oral steroid (Medrol), an antidepressant (which somehow relaxes your nerve) and norcos which don't do anything for me.

So I'm going to try this last resort for 2 weeks before once again trying the cortisone injection. I've never heard of using an antidepressant for a nerve relaxer but this is not my field of expertise.

I had two for my L5-S1 extruded discs and I have disc fragments pressing on my sciatic nerve.

I was on my way to recovery with extensive chiropractic care, but this sped the healing way up. It's been over two years now with no issues. If I would have thought about the injections earlier, I would have done it much earlier.

I'm hoping it never comes back because it's a bitch for sure. My gf now is a neurosurgeon, so maybe I'd get a family discount or something!

MOAOZINHO - Went to my PCP. They were really hesitant on a cortisone injection because it could get infected, and it's likely to damage my spine.

They talked me into using an oral steroid (Medrol), an antidepressant (which somehow relaxes your nerve) and norcos which don't do anything for me.

So I'm going to try this last resort for 2 weeks before once again trying the cortisone injection. I've never heard of using an antidepressant for a nerve relaxer but this is not my field of expertise.

What was the antidepressant? Neurontin? They tried to give me that too but I never took it. I didn't like the listed side effects (killing yourself).

It seems overprescribed in situations like this. The doctors were very insistent that they give it to everybody but I'm still not taking it.

My situation-
Bulging C4-C5
Herniated C5-C6 and C6-C7
Degenerative disc disease
Narrowing of the spinal canal
other degenerative changes
A herniation in the lumbar I can never remember
Arthritis in the lower back
Arthritis in both shoulders
Nerve pinches in the neck/shoulders, down both arms

I had Cortisone a few times.

The first time was trigger point injections. Completely useless for me. Did nothing. It took like 2 years to even find someone willing to do trigger point. Nobody wanted to help because I'm in my 20s. That was the reason they all gave. Youth.

The second time I found someone willing to actually shoot me up ('cause they were looking forward to billing the shit out of my insurance) and it helped a little bit.

They gave me a follow up shot which didn't do anything further.

Overall it didn't give me the results I was hoping for.

I felt too weak to work out after 2-3 years of this doctor bullshit so I went out on my own and started a cycle of testosterone.

8 weeks in on a 10 week cycle and I've felt great, been able to work out plenty, and I've put on enough muscle where I feel like I'm much closer to returning to training on a regular basis. I've rolled since then and felt amazing. Been doing padwork too to try to work my upper body without putting all the pressure on my spine/neck that my style of grappling has (heavily guard based, flexibility oriented)

Of course steroids aren't going to fix my neck, but they've helped a lot with rebuilding the muscles surrounding my injuries and I feel the best I have since my injury.

Obviously not the answer for everyone but so far it has helped me more than anything else has.

MOAOZINHO - I have 2 herniated discs between C6-C7-C8. I've had them and managed the pain and strength loss from the initial injury in 2003.

Somehow I re-aggravated the injury two weeks ago and the pain is really bad. Has anyone gotten an epidural steroid injection (cortisone shot) for pain relief from this injury? Does it relieve any pain or no? I'm willing to do it even if it relieves 10% of my pain

Any advice is appreciated Phone Post 3.0

Complete degeneration at L-4, L-5, S-1, with a herniation.

Took me years to even realize my pain was my back. 

After months of doing various things, I went and got the shot. 

18 months later, just intermittant pain, but nothing unbearable. 

Have only needed one.

cortXbomb - 
MOAOZINHO - Went to my PCP. They were really hesitant on a cortisone injection because it could get infected, and it's likely to damage my spine.

What was the antidepressant? Neurontin? They tried to give me that too but I never took it. I didn't like the listed side effects (killing yourself).

It seems overprescribed in situations like this. The doctors were very insistent that they give it to everybody but I'm still not taking it.

I tried Neurontin 8-9 years ago. Bad effects indeed.

staygreenponyboy -
cortXbomb - 

I tried Neurontin 8-9 years ago. Bad effects indeed.
It's Nortriptyline. Not sure if that's the generic form or something Phone Post 3.0