Costa Questions UFC for Potentially Lowballing ‘Mother Fuckers in Brazil’ After Whittaker Fight Cancelation

70k Fight and 70k win. Thats fucking pathetic as hell from the UFC but then again im not surprised

4 Likes

Paulo Costa won’t be fighting at the upcoming Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) return to Australia after all.

It was revealed earlier this week (Mon., Dec. 19, 2022) that Costa’s anticipated bout with Robert Whittaker at UFC 284 in Perth, Australia, on Feb. 11, 2023, was no longer in place. “Borrachinha” has gone as far as to claim it was never a done deal, leading to negotiations falling apart.

As soon as the fight was announced by the promotion on social media, Costa began labeling it as false on a somewhat regular basis.
“I just came in and said the truth,” Costa told The MMA Hour. “It’s a fake. It’s not happening. I think they just actually offer very low numbers for Brazilians. Maybe they think, ‘Ah, those motherf—kers in Brazil, they live in the jungle, they don’t need real money because the currency’s like five times less than dollars, so let’s pay bulls—t.’”

Costa noted that pride is likely also a big factor that leads to fighters from his country being taken advantage of. Guilty of it himself, he figured that now was the time to put his foot down.
“At some point, I should say stop, I will not do that,” Costa said. “But I didn’t, because we’re Brazilians — we just want to fight. We don’t care too much. They say, ‘Okay, you fight that way, let’s go. You fight the No. 5 [ranked fighter],’ [and we’ll say,] ‘Let’s go, I’m okay with that, for the same money.’

“We are doing that for a long time, but it doesn’t help the business for the athletes,” he continued. “This is horrible for the business on the fighter’s side. So you cannot just say yes. Somebody said, ‘If you are good at something, don’t do it for free — or for s—t money.’ … I did a lot in the past, and it’s enough.”
Rumors began swirling around Costa’s last fight that his contract was coming to an end. The Middleweight contender even began teasing what his final fights would be between his last against Luke Rockhold or whatever came after.

Operating on a show-win payout of $70,000-$70,000, Costa felt it wasn’t enough for a match up the caliber of Whittaker on the former champion’s home soil. Instead, Costa countered by asking the promotion to hand out “a little bit higher” of numbers for his payout and didn’t want to be locked in for a lengthy number of fights like he’s just now getting away from.
“They said, [UFC President] Dana White’s lawyer, [UFC CBO] Hunter Campbell, said ‘We need to make a new six-fight deal.’ I said, ‘No, I’m not going to talk about six fights more. I talk about that one.’ That makes sense,” Costa said. “Why you bring six fights in? I’m talking about that one, to fight Whittaker, not six more. It doesn’t make sense to me.

“I’m not looking for six more fights, not at the numbers that he sent me,” he concluded. “I don’t think this makes sense. I’m talking about one fight specifically, not six. I did this in the past, five years ago, 2017, and I’m paying for this mistake even now, because I’m so [outdated].”

1 Like

1 Like

that’s pathetic money, that purse should be near 500k guaranteed.
win or lose.

4 Likes

Wonder what they paid Ruas and Rizzo , Gracies back in the day compared ?
Never heard Anderson bitch much about pay .

Because pay from 10-15 years ago is irrelevant?

youtube name GIF

yup. royce made that. it’s crazy. pay paulo. he’s out there risking that face? pay the man.

1 Like

I’m surprised more of the ufc guys don’t go to pfl and fight for that million dollar prize.

4 Likes

It’s such bullshit. If he loses, he’s fucked, if he wins he probably gets a title shot. Dude fought Romero for fucking 30k.

2 Likes

It’s not like he doesn’t have a big following or market himself either

This is number one bullshit

‘These guys get paid what they’re supposed to get paid’

Dana White

Btw what he’s saying about the UFC’s mentality towards Brazillian’s is exactly what the shills on here were saying about Francis. “Oh he’s from Africa what did he make there, he should accept what they give him” etc.

3 Likes

well i know that his fight will always be banger win or lose
dude had some great fights, that actually worth buying ppv, not some hide and seek shit

and lol at 70k, i would say 200k to have even a discussion

Good Riddance. Whining and excuses is all you hear from this guy.

dude wmma gets +100k per fight, that is snooze fest lol and literally nobody knows them xD

5 Likes

Just for that you’ll be watching Holly Holm’s next fight, and you WILL enjoy it.

3 Likes

its like lets keep fighting for free and no excuses xD
Reactions GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I support any fighter or person fighting to get more money for him and his family.
Costa always looks to do damage and get the KO.
Get rid of Strickland and give Costa his pay. That should at least double it.
Let him bang bro

3 Likes

UFC Vegas 66 Purse Details,
Sean Strickland $200,000 sponsors $16,000 total: $216,000
five rounds of jabbing action

Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

3 Likes