Couch to half marathon

I was a runner in HS and through my 20s. I haven’t run much the last two years but 2017-2020 I ran 6-8 5ks

I’ve run a few halfs before, but the last was 2013. Urge to do another. Right now I can probably run to the mailbox.

11/12 there is a half so targeting that. Just over 34 weeks, plenty of time

I have a gym in the garage so I’m looking for a plan that’ll incorporate run training and gym days. Does anyone have one they recommend? I’ll probably do shorter races between now and then as well

Let’s see what happens first: me running a half or gritty getting abs

6 Likes

I ran a half with Gritty a few months ago and he ghosted me. Bastard.

Just get out and run.

I have run a few with almost no training at all.

4 Likes

Do it.

1 Like

Just get out and move. I would start with a few 3-5 mile walks for a week or so and then start gradually putting the miles on. There are shit load of “couch to 5k” and “half” sites out there with programs, but you just need to gradually build up the mileage. Run/Walks etc.

5 Likes

Indeed.

I had essentially done a couch to 5k program a year ago and got to the point where I was running (slowly) 3 miles 4 - 5 times a week.

I took the winter off because of cold/snow, but i started again this week.

It sucks.

I can run for 2 miles then walk/run for the last mile. My goal is to run the full 3 miles by the end of this week and then keep it up until next winter…

3 Likes

Day 1 in the books!

Lifted and ran today but going forward I’ll lift M/W/F and do C25K on T/Th/Sat

I’ll do the C25K program until it’s complete. That is 8 weeks. That’ll build a solid base and then 26 weeks to ramp up to a 1/2. At that point I’ll probably start at the race date and work backwards to build a run plan.

1 Like

Before I’ve seen an annual run thread on here. Has anyone created one for 2022? Who usually does that? Is it @Gritty ? I can change the title of this thread to it if one isn’t already created

Chris Watts was able to accomplish much with just a gym in his garage. Went from ugly fatso to pretty fit/muscular dude (no homo). Good luck, hopefully you end up as successful as he did.

1 Like

Ha thankfully my hill isn’t quite as steep
I’m about 185. Just want to get back into running and figured I have enough time for a half. A goal will keep me on track throughout the summer and fall

1 Like

Just promise me you aren’t going to start fucking a big fake titted butterfaced coworker. It all goes downhill from there.

1 Like

the sandlot running GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

3 Likes

The wife would not approve, so no

2 Likes

Long easy runs, just build up your base mileage.

2 Likes

A common rule is not to increase your milage per week by more than 10%, if you’ve done half’s before you’ll be fine just need a few consistent weeks and you’ll start making progress quickly enough

1 Like

I don’t think Chris Watts’ wife was a very big fan either.

1 Like

I’ve ran two half’s with no more training than the the occasional long slow run in my normal routine. You really should be able to do a 10k with no problem without pushing yourself.

1 Like

Finished week 1 Saturday; started week 2 today.

Working out M/W/F and running Tues/Thurs/Sat.

2 Likes

week 2 finished yesterday. even if this thread is just my personal, public journal that is fine. Anything to keep me moving towards the goal

4 Likes

Good work OP. I was just talking with a buddy last week about how I need to start running. I hate running. But I feel like I should do it. Not a fatty and not in bad shape. Just feel like as a man I should be able to run a few miles without wanting to die. If you keep this thread up I may join you with some occasional updates on my progress.

1 Like

nice job op. my run group had our first brewery run of the seaon last week. a few of us were chatting on the run about what a fun distance the half is.

1 Like