Couch to half marathon

3 Likes

Week six complete. Two weeks left on this plan and then I’m thinking about starting this one next.

1 Like

Noticed my shins when running this week. Thinking I might have a mild case of the shin splints. Sore when starting to run and then tender when I’m done running. Took it easy this week with some shorter runs. Tmrw I’m going for my 5k in 25min test run.

1 Like

I’ll finish week 7 today. I started noticing a little pain in my shins, and tightness in my Achilles. I bought a compression sleeve to wear for a few hours during the day. That and a little extra stretching immediately helped alleviate most of the discomfort.

I don’t think it healed anything but I’ll keep wearing most days because absolutely helped how it feels

1 Like

Damn that would smoke my time lol, you normally run your HR up that high every time? My Max is supposed to be 186 and I normally slow down when I hit 170, I don’t know shit, should I be running through it? I don’t feel bad or anything I just assumed i shouldn’t let it go up too much.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how accurate the HR monitor is on my watch. I just run based on how I’m feeling. I don’t think my legs and lungs will allow me to push myself harder than my heart can handle. I’m also 35 and otherwise healthy.

1 Like

Disappointed I didn’t get sub 25min by May 15. But fuck it. I tried. First time I’ve ever stuck with running for 6 weeks.

4 Likes

It sucks when you set a goal and you miss it by seconds. But still, you’re doing great. Heck, just running a different route that is flatter/more downhill or a cooler day or even a backwind could be enough to shave 6 seconds off. You’ll get it next time

Yo OP

I just started following this guy today, he lifts and runs and is defo selling his sups but has some decent info. Ive been lifting for almost 2 decades just com,ing back after surgery and wanting to work cardio in so this is my starting point

1 Like

^that dudes a beast^ nick bare

In for some roadwork this summer

1 Like

With how skinny you are now you should be flying!

1 Like

Oh no! Ghost is here to commit himself and dominate us all.

1 Like

Finished week 7 today. Ran on a trail instead of the road. A lot more fun, a lot slower. One more week of this plan then I’m moving on to something different.

It’s been sunny and hot all week and it feels like running up hill the whole way.

1 Like

You timing any of your runs ? shooting for a goal? Or you doing the responsible thing and just running for health ?

1 Like

right now, just running and doing the 8-week plan to start. The following 8 weeks will be one-day trail running, one-day track, and one day of slow long runs. after that, I will start focusing on the half, setting goals, and dialing it all in.

Are you incorporating any long, slow runs into your routine? A slow, slogging 10k once a week does a lot for your cardio and mental strength.

1 Like

Starting that next week. Saturday will be the long, slow, run.

1 Like

What’s considered long and slow? 10k at 10min/mile pace? Longer? Slower? Faster?