Could Ad Santel have competed with the Gracies?

Dammit I can’t tell the pro wrestlers from the fighters.

Carlos and George lost some matches to Japanese Jujutsu black belts when they weren’t black belts themselves.

I’m not sure if the Helio story is true.

Because you’re a child who doesn’t know Jack shit

And you’re a cantankerous old fart.

yes indeed

Sakuraba would disagree.

And? How does that contradict what I said?

Saku was the ONLY catch wrestler that defeated the Gracie’s. His success wasn’t repeatable for other CW’s, which means he was an exception not the rule.

Josh Barnett didn’t keep it playful With ryron, wladek zybyzco smashed George in minutes and a lot of others back in the day. The kimura used to be called the Americana, and still is by the older crowd

josh lost to numerous bjj’ers more often than he won

name them

A brazilian sailor who wrestled at the NY athletic club, rufino dos santos beat carlos, it took a passle of gracies to beat him

1 Like

According to wiki of his grappling matches, I count he is 3-3 vs. BJJers:

Wins: Dean Lister (if you consider him a BJJer), Pedro Duarte, Ryron Gracie
Losses: Gordon Ryan, Ricardo Almeida, Garth Taylor

So he hasn’t lost “more often than he won” but is even. He also outweighted all of them except maybe Garth Taylor

1 Like

He did also win the Nogi worlds from what I recall, but i don’t think there are any big names in there

Garth is a monster, who wrestled before hooking up with claudio Franca. There’s no way he outweighed garth. Was the almeida thing in adcc?

1 Like

Yea, Almeida guillotined him. Almeida was killer in those days.

In the 99 Adcc absolute, Barnett beat pedro duatre(bjj) with a leglock. Taylor beat barnett on points. The winner of that absolute tournament, roberto traven(bjj), won all his matches by points, and faced the much smaller sakurai, a catch guy trained by tiger mask in the final. Sakurai beat ricco rodriguez(bjj) by leglock in the semifinal and vinny magalhaes(bjj) by points

3 Likes

Amazing, I had no idea that Sakurai was that good on the ground.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 17-05-28 Rufino Dos Santos The Man Who Beat Carlos Gracie - Catch Wrestling vs Jiu Jitsu

Virtually identical to Gilbert Burns.

Plus, JB has a BB in BJJ.

He has one because Rigan and Erik Paulson gave him one, but he said he has never trained in BJJ specifically.

1 Like