Could Aldo be reborn at 155?

He's got some miles on him but do you think he could have a new lease on his fighting life if he stopped cutting so much weight? 

I think so. 

Its proven to benefit a lot of other fighters. 

IDK if the weight cut is what is hurting him, I think it's more the miles he has on his body and if that is the case, 155lb is no the answer.

At this point in his career, I don't think so. He's got too many miles on him and I think the game is somewhat passing him by.

Lightweight is a much more competitive division imo. McGregor looked invincible before moving up, and lightweight made him look very human. Same thing for Holloway. I don't see Aldo doing better than those 2.

Still an Aldo fan since the WEC days and I say no. He has 30+ pro MMA fights and has had a handful of wars at the end of his career and has been finished 3 times(?). He'd be much smaller than a ton of the 155lbsers now.

1 Like

his days as an A+ fighter are done, regardless of weight

he might hang as a B+ for awhile though at 145 0r 55

Isn't he moving down to 135lbs instead of up to 155lbs?

Joshinho -

At this point in his career, I don't think so. He's got too many miles on him and I think the game is somewhat passing him by.

Agreed. He hasn't evolved his game, he's actually limited it more to boxing and really doesn't throw kicks anymore. Guys have seen a lot of tape on him, and he doesn't have as much of a speed advantage as he did before. He has always relied on a lot of explosive movement. 

It's not that he's not explosive anymore, but just not head and shoulders above the division like he used to be. He's still REALLY good and I think he stays in the top 10 for a while until he decides to retire. 

boxing wiz -

Isn't he moving down to 135lbs instead of up to 155lbs?

No way that dude could even make 135, you're probably thinking of Frankie 

Nope. Aldo is near the end, courtesy of USADA. They've done that to a lot of fighters, Hendricks and Vitor being the most notable. But Fuckface... errrr Scarface... isn't far behind those two where massive drop offs in performance are concerned.

Since USADA, he sure seems to be making 145 easier. 

If Leonard doesn't win MVP at this rate it would be a crime.

ranier wolfcastle - 

Agreed.

IT seems like the weight cut has actually gotten smoother for Aldo. Not sure why he would change weight classes. He should just chase fun, money fights. I’d love to see him fight. 155 has more of those for him: Cowboy, Edson, Gathje, Diaz, Pettis, etc.

ranier wolfcastle - 

Days of A+ are gone but he’s still a top-3 guy in one of the deepest weight classes. OK.

Looking at the rankings now I’d say he’d be a top-5 at lightweight too.

I'm really surprised they haven't tried to set him up against Conor at 155 

I think it would have been had he done it earlier, but earlier in his career he was an absolute wrecking ball at 145 so he didn't need to. Now that his chin is somewhat compromised I'm not sure he can eat power shots from the Gaethje's and Barboza's of the division. I don't think the speed differential he would have could make up for it at this point. If it was 2013-2014, yeah, but not now.

SHOGUN250 -

I think it would have been had he done it earlier, but earlier in his career he was an absolute wrecking ball at 145 so he didn't need to. Now that his chin is somewhat compromised I'm not sure he can eat power shots from the Gaethje's and Barboza's of the division. I don't think the speed differential he would have could make up for it at this point. If it was 2013-2014, yeah, but not now.

I tend to agree with this. 

He old 

Too small.